April or May in Paris

Old May 20th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
April or May in Paris

I am a single woman spending 2 weeks in Paris next spring. Is one month better than the other or is it a toss-up? Also, is anyone aware of any big conventions going on either month which will make my hotel search difficult?
Old May 20th, 2008, 04:49 PM

I haven't done May in Paris, but have done April for decades and like April a lot. Happy travels!
Old May 20th, 2008, 04:51 PM

Don't know about conventions - anything could be in town. You should check the convention center's schedule.

As for weather -- May is a little warmer and more pleasant and typically perhaps a little less rainy.
Old May 20th, 2008, 04:53 PM

There are usually several public holidays in May when museums are closed...
Old May 20th, 2008, 05:02 PM

We just spent 2 weeks (April 16 - 30) in Paris, and while the weather wasn't too bad, it was a bit cold and overcast most days.

I think I'll wait until May the next time.
Old May 20th, 2008, 05:10 PM

Weather is so variable and no place more so than in Paris. One year I went there over the American Memorial Day weekend and the temps were in the 40s and 50s F. I'd hope that was unusual, but don't make all your decisions around hoped-for weather. May is complicated by the holidays, it's true--that brings more French tourists into the city, but with a 2 week trip you'll have plenty of time. I hope you explore the countryside as well.
Old May 20th, 2008, 05:33 PM

I experienced the same weather unpredicability as did Elaine. However, Paris is wonderful to be in any time of the year.
Old May 20th, 2008, 05:45 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I've been mid-April and early May and the weather was pretty much the same both times, with slightly sunnier weather in May, but not much. Maybe for fewer crowds or lower prices on airfare April is better...
Old May 20th, 2008, 06:48 PM

I'd say May. April was still cold and rainy for our visit.
Old May 20th, 2008, 09:39 PM

Hi

I would say May due to the weather. Here is my Paris trip report with pictures and links http://gardkarlsen.com/Paris_France.htm . As you can see we went there in April

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Old May 20th, 2008, 11:07 PM

Ms. Bear and I are currently in Paris for the month of May. Previous posters are right on--the May holidays bring more people to the streets (in more ways than one) and increase the "closings." This seems especially true in years like this, with a major holiday on a Thursday--many working people or studenbt-visitors seem to "take the bridge" and make it a four-day event.

However, the closer you get to mid-June the longer the daylight time is and the nicer the weather seems to be. This year, there has been less rain in May than in April and fewer cool/cold days.

We are glad to be here in May this year, all things considered, rather than in April.
Old May 21st, 2008, 02:27 AM

Avoid the week before and the week after Easter. Paris is full of student groups.
Old May 21st, 2008, 03:05 AM

Weather is the same there as her..early or late Spring!! I have been there both April and May. May weather, obviously should be warmer..but..you have many holidays in May.

I have recently returned from 2 weeks in April..it was a bit chilly. I will no longer be going for less than one month. That is mainly because the flight is so miserable!

I will be there from mid Sept to mid Oct. and again mid April to mid May, 2009.

Enjoy....
Old May 21st, 2008, 07:02 AM

Don't go by what the weather might be. Paris weather is totally unpredictable. When I was there in April 2005, a Parisien friend told me that a few days before I had arrived that there had been light snow. I packed heavy clothes as I know how unpredictable the weather can be. When I arrived, it was so hot that people were walking around in T-shirts. I've also been there in April when it was so cold that I could feel the cold go through my bones, so to speak. Yet, while there in October once, the weather was great. And just 2 months ago, in March, it was cold although that's not always the case. Happy Travels!
Old May 21st, 2008, 07:32 AM

Friends spent a week in Paris in mid April and said it was overcast and chilly every day and rained some days. They said they never saw the moon or stars and had to wear jackets every day.

They still enjoyed Paris but said they wouldn't go in April again. That being said, it could be overcast and rainy in May too but will likely be warmer
Old May 21st, 2008, 10:21 AM

As others have said, the weather can be unpredictable. I've been there in early April and late April, and there have been days in the 50's with rain and days in the 70's+...

April is often considered shoulder season, so hotels and airfares are less expensive than May which is often the beginning of high season, and sometimes fewer crowds.
Old May 21st, 2008, 10:45 AM

We're leaving tomorrow for a week in the City of Light, so I am of course voting for May! (My usual phototravelogue will of course be posted here as soon as available.)
Old May 22nd, 2008, 05:02 AM

Just returned from a week in Paris (14-21 May) and the weather was fickle, as usual. A very warm week preceeded our arrival, and we had cool days (mid 60's), some rain, some sun, and even a short hail "event". Nothing that derailed our plans, however, and I much rather run about the city in cooler weather as Paris doesn't air condition very well. The weather is quite changeable both spring and fall, but you can profit from much longer daylight hours in spring.
Gracejoan: Your schedule of one month each mid-Sept/Oct and mid-Apr/May is my ideal. Ah, maybe someday. EJ
Old May 22nd, 2008, 05:37 AM

I was in Paris in June and I can tell you the weather was just perfect. It was sunny and comfortable for touring. Also, on June 21 in Paris they have a music festival throughout the whole city. I just happen to stumble upon it during our stay. It was really cool. All over the city they had bands and singers and it was just a great atmosphere. It was like a fesitval everywhere.
Old Nov 21st, 2008, 10:38 AM

ttt for planning

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information