April in Scotland and credit cards

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2003, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi!<BR>My hubby and I will be driving all over Scotland for three weeks and we leave on Tuesday.(YIPPEE!!) We have some cash put aside but were wondering if we could also get by using our credit cards. Will most attractions (castles, statelies, etc.),shops, and bbs take ccs? We will be using our ATM card but wanted to rely on our ccs. Is this possible? Appreciate any help.<BR>Happy travels to all!!<BR>Collie<BR>Message heading would be a great song title, no?
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 01:23 PM

Mostly you'll get by with credit cards. Places won't want to take thm for less than about &pound;5 so do carry some cash
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 03:46 PM

You can use Visa or Mastercard most everywhere (Not Discover which is only used in N. America). But some B&amp;Bs still do not accept cards - understandable since the fees charged small business are pretty steep. A lot of places will offer a small discount for cash.
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 04:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your advice. Great information. You all are so helpful! Now I only hope that it doesn't rain TOO much!<BR>Kind regards,<BR>Collie
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 07:20 AM

You'll need a fair amount of cash, particularly if you plan to make good use of the pubs.
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Thank you again for the information. We LOVE British pubs. Are so looking forward to visiting this beloved corner of the world.<BR>CG
Old Mar 22nd, 2003, 11:49 AM

Colliegirl... we tried to remember to get ATM cash from our debit card before paying B&amp;B's etc that didn't take cards. We carried a few travelers checks to cash at banks (that took them that is). I learned a great suggestion from this forum. Ask your bank to adjust your daily limit of cash for your trip. Whoever gave this wonderful suggestion reported that their bank forgot to turn it back to the $200 day limit!... We found the cash limit was difficult, but other than that our debit cards worked well. Have a grand time in the grandest of places!
Old Mar 23rd, 2003, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Danna! Great advice and will do as you suggested. This site is great because of people like you all! Leaving Tuesday and praying for a bit of sun.<BR>CG
Old Mar 23rd, 2003, 12:10 PM

Dear Colliegirl<BR><BR>Hope you have a great time in Scotland. We are in the middle of a great month of weather. Blue skies, warm (15 to 17 degrees)and no rain for over 2 weeks. Cold at night (-2 to -4)though.<BR>However, that may change in the next two days or two hours. Anyway have a great time.
Old Mar 23rd, 2003, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the weather update, Sezles. I did check the weather channel online and it said showers for the first few days in Edinburgh and through the week. Nuts! I was so hoping to experience a wee bit of sun during my days in Edinburgh. I can only hope they're wrong!<BR>Regards,<BR>CG