Reload this Page >

appreciate any info about London

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2006, 07:39 PM
amanda77

I am coming to London for a wedding the first of October and staying for probably 5 days. I want to take in all I can in that time. If you can offer me any information about anything....transportation, sightseeing, airlines, hotels, anything I would appreciate it. I will be coming with others, but paying my own way, so what is an estimate of how much money I would need to have a nice time. Also if you know of any websites where I can get brochures or information sent to me that would be great too. (I found a site one time, but cant seem to find it again.) This is my first time out of the states and it may be the only time I get the opportunity again, so want to see all I can!!

Thank you so much for any help

Old Jan 19th, 2006, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amanda -- London was for us, a LOT cooler than we thought it would be when we went there for the first time in 2003.

I would highly recommend getting Rick Steves London 2006 guide book. He has some excellent walking tours, as well as (in my opinion) the MOST accurate information about everything from the sights to see and their hours and prices, as well as how best to get there.

London is very easy to get around in. It's a bit on the expensive side. My husband and I usually budget about $100US per person, per day for hotel and food, with extra for shopping, etc. A lot of sights in London are free, and The Tube is easy to use, so that part is not so expensive. But we found food to be a bit spendy, and we splurged on some good tickets to see Les Miserable in Picadilly, a night at the theatre I wouldn't miss for the world.

Here are the sights I wouldn't miss:

Westminster Abbey, a "flight" on The London Eye, a walk up Whitehall to Trafalgar Square, the National Gallery (in Trafalgar), the theatre, The British Museum (only if you like museums, it's huge), and St. Paul's Cathedral (we went to church at 8 am Sunday and enjoyed the service). Don't miss the Tower of London (go at opening time, to avoid the crowds) where they have great tours and the Crown Jewels, as well as The British Library special documents room, where there are originals of everything from the Stamps that sparked the American Revolution, to Wittenburg Bibles, the Magna Carta, and the napkins that John Lennon wrote The Beatles' "Ticket To Ride", just to name a few. That room of history is amazing, and FREE.

If you want more info (this is getting long), just e-mail me at [email protected] and I can send you my itinerary from my last trip.

And DO go to the library and get some London travel videos. Rick Steves makes a nice "Travel Skills Special" that is also very helpful for learning what to do, what to take, and how to stay safe, etc.

OK. I'll stop now...ENJOY!

Jules
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 08:26 PM

Hi Amanda -

My advice would be for you to pick up a couple of guidebooks (fodors, Rick Steves, DK Eyewitness, Frommers, etc . . .), read up on the area, and figure out what most interests you about the area. With 5 days, you'll have to pick and choose what you want to see. Without knowing your interests, it would be hard to give you more specific advice regarding an itinerary or hotels.

London is great, and I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time! Many of the guidebooks offer sample itineraries, and you can get a lot of information just by running searches in this forum.

As for airfare, check all the "usuals" (travelocity.com, expedia.com, orbitz.com) and kayak.com.

Good luck!
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 02:01 AM

as for websites about London:

www.visitlondon.com (the "official" tourist authority site with links to all the major attractions and museums, etc., etc.)

www.tfl.gov.uk (all about public transport in London, but I never understand why they hide away their most useful bus map:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/tourist_map.shtml)

http://www.timeout.com/london/: THE listings magazine

http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/: BBC London local news and events

Old Jan 20th, 2006, 01:58 PM

You won't need to buy all those guidebooks. Just go to your public library, take them home to look at and decide which one (or more) you might like to purchase.

I second a Westminster Abbey tour, and you can walk by the Houses of Parliament and Big Ben while there.

Read up and enjoy. London is my favorite city.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 02:09 PM

For a quick overview of what's where (and how to get from here to there), go here:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34739639
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 10:45 PM

ttt