Reload this Page >

Needing information on transportation and hotels in London area

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 07:33 AM
amanda77

I am coming to London in October for a wedding. The reception is going to be at the Crown Moran Hotel in London. That is where most out of the country visitors will be staying. I find it rather pricy myself. If my calculations are correct it will be close to $200 (US Dollars)a night. Is that the average that I will be paying for hotels in London? I believe that it is in Kennington area, so any help that anyone could give..such as other hotels in that area would be greatly appreciated.

Also I plan to take in all the sightseeing I can while in London. I have heard about day long passes for transportation. What is that and how do you go about getting a pass//pricing, etc??

Thank you so much for your help

Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 07:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Crown Moran is in Cricklewood, which is in the north end of town far, far from Kennington (or Kensington, for that matter).

$200 for a four-star accommodation is very good value, which reflects favorably on its distance from the center of London.

It's a twenty-minute ride on the ThamesLink train to King's Cross station.

Information concerning passes (called Travelcards) can be found here:

<b>http://www.ticket-on-line.com/cgi-bin/web_finder.exe</b>
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 07:50 AM

Amanda, close to $200/night is not all that bad for a hotel in London. You may be able to get by for less, but there are some tradeoffs for doing that. As for day passes, I don't know if the rate has changed since I visited last February, but I paid 4.30 GBP for an offpeak pass that I used on the tube. (I purchased it at Victoria station, since I came in on the Gatwick Express.)
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 07:53 AM
MaureenB

Are you going alone? Maybe you know another wedding guest with whom you could split a room to economize? From what I saw in my search for lodging, the Kensington area is desirable and relatively expensive. Try londontown.com to search for lodging by price and location.
One-day transit passes are easily purchased at the tube station, and it is rather easy to figure out the tube system. Have fun!

Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 07:57 AM

Hi, can you just clarify the location? I've just googled and the only Crown Moran I can find is in Cricklewood which is in North London..
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 07:57 AM

By the way, there is an excellent map of the hotel neighborhood at

<b>http://www.crownmoranhotel.co.uk/images/crownmoranhotel.pdf</b>

As you can see, it's almost across the street from the train station.
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 08:04 AM

MaureenB, there is a <b>Kennington</b>, too. It's where the Imperial War Museum is, down south of Waterloo station. The Kennington Oval is where England managed to squeak by Australia at cricket.
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 08:06 AM
amanda77

My cousin sent an email that the wedding is at St. Agnes Church and said the Crown Moran Hotel is right around the corner.

Thanks for all the help!!

Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 08:12 AM

St. Agnes Church is at 35, Cricklewood Lane, about 100 yards west of the hotel.
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 08:13 AM

I have stayed in literally hundreds of hotels in London....I am always going down ,either to see Art Shows,theatre,etc.,I have been in the lowest dives,(featured in a T.V.expose on death-trap hotels in London),and some posh ones too,and everything in-between.........I would nominate St.Giles,(near Tottenham Court Road subway station),as the best one for me..Why?It is within walking distance to Leicester Square,Theatres,British Museum,etc.....I must say that at &pound;60.00per night,without breakfast,it was pretty reasonable........I looked at your question again .I realise that you specified Kennington...I must say that although I've never stayed there,you can usually get hotels much cheaper than $200.00.You can get reasonable hotels that will reduce their tariff,if you don't have breakfast..
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 08:19 AM

How nice it would be if the happy couple could provide the guests with the exact addresses of the hotel and church.

Latitude and longitude probably wouldn't hurt.
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 08:25 AM

Sorry. The hotel is 100 yards west of the church, about equidistant between the hotel and the train station. I'm using two maps of different scales, and getting thoroughly muddled.
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 08:40 AM

I'm sure that you can get a hotel for less than $200 a night if you want to stay close to the wedding itself, although it's a bit of a non-area. Personally I'd suggest that you stay closer to Hampstead if you can find a reasonably priced hotel there (would you be happy with a B&amp;B?). Hampstead is one of the London 'villages' and is a lovely place to spend time - great shops, restaurants etc - and great views of London from Parliament Hill up on the heath.

However have the bride &amp; groom negotiated reduced room rates at the hotel? Most hotels will do this, particularly if the reception is being held there, and can make quite a saving.

Otherwise, why don't you stay closer to town? You'll find more deals on sites such as Expedia.co.uk if the hotel is closer - and there'll be more to do. And as it's October it should be reasonable.

You can get one day travelcards (tube, bus &amp; train) for &pound;6.20 (zones 1-2) and &pound;7.20 (zones 1-3) - you'll probably be staying on the border so you'll have to decide what to buy. This offers unlimited travel.

Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 09:00 AM

I practically always recommend Priceline for a well-priced hotel in London, although that won't leave you near the church. But there are many posts here about its advantages and disadvantages.

Another option that isn't terribly close, but is definitely cheaper, is the Holiday Inn Hampstead. You can get this for about 50 pounds per night prepaid, which is quite a bit less than $200/night. This hotel is between the wedding site and central London, so you wouldn't be stuck so far away if you want to sightsee.
http://www.holiday-inn.com
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 09:01 AM

Use the Journey Planner at this site to figure how to get between places:
http://www.thetube.com
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 10:46 PM

ttt