Apple Pay in UK

Jan 3rd, 2017, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Apple Pay in UK

This question will show how little I know about my new SE iPhone:

Will Apple Pay work in the UK if I do absolutely nothing about a local SIM card, etc.
Not to actually pay for items, but to show passes, tickets?

I will have no need to make calls and think I can use WiFi for anything else,
unless I really don't understand how things work.

Thank you.
Jan 3rd, 2017, 01:16 PM

Easy way to tell. Turn on AirPlane mode and then see what pops up. If you can access without data, you're fine.
Jan 3rd, 2017, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Well now you forced me to learn about Airplane Mode, and it looks like I'll be fine. Thanks for your help.
Jan 3rd, 2017, 01:42 PM

It should work without data, unless you're adding a card to the Wallet app.

Yes if the passes and tickets support the Apple Wallet, it would work.

Otherwise, a lot of places will email you a bar code or a QR code which can be scanned from your phone.

And yes, you should be able to use Apple Pay to pay for things. It's suppose to work on the Underground and I'm not sure but buses too, so you would not need an Oyster card.

If you use the same card in Apple Pay, it should track your daily limit.

And any retailer which supports contactless cards should work. Ask if you can tap to pay and that should work with Apple Pay.

Found out in Australia that it's so much more convenient than using the card directly. If you use a card, it will print a receipt that you have to sign. But if you use Apple Pay with the same credit card, you just authenticate with your finger.

Make sure to add credit cards with no foreign exchange fees to your Apple Pay and do so before leaving home, so that your bank will authenticate the card for use in Apple Pay. If you do it from the UK or another foreign country, it may be trickier to get it authenticated.
Jan 3rd, 2017, 02:07 PM

"t's suppose to work on the Underground and I'm not sure but buses too, so you would not need an Oyster card"

Only if you're an antisocial geek.

Applepay - a ridiculous toy no-one with a brain should have anything to do with - might work in backward parts of the world like California.

In the developed world, it creates congestion at Tube barriers (because it's so slow) and makes checkout at supermarkets and coffee shops even slower than its braindead users.

Leave the gadget behind. Use a sensible contactless debit card.Or stay in whatever steam-age country you live in.

We really don't need any more plonkers slowing our transport system down.

I'm serious. If you want to waste everyone else's time, stay at home and wank about. You're not welcome in the grownup world.
Jan 3rd, 2017, 04:18 PM
Original Poster

Settle down, Flanner -- you would have to pry my beloved Oyster card out of my cold, dead hand.

I have no intention of Apple paying for anything, but I do have a rail ticket on it which it would be convenient to show for 2FOR1 purposes.
Jan 3rd, 2017, 04:58 PM

If you used a card issued in the US, you will likely have to sign for it.

So that's worse than mobile payments.

And Oyster cards, you have to queue up to top up.

That's funny, the UK accusing CA of being backward.

Contactless debit cards don't require authentication? That's great, you lose that and anyone could tap into your bank account?