Apartment Vs. Hotel

Search

Apartment Vs. Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2003, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apartment Vs. Hotel

Our accomadations for Rome fell thrue for Sept. 25-29!! ( Friends that we were suppose to stay with have had an emergency) Now i am torn between an Apartment rental or Hotels.I have actually found a few (APT.) and would like an opinion on the plus and minus side of it. I can have one from "Sleep in Italy" near the Piazza campo Fiori for 140 per night. Sound reasonable?Has anyone used them? Any feedback will be appreciated!!
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 04:17 PM

We recently rented apartments in both Florence and Venice and were so glad we did. I don't think we'll go the hotel route again for a stay of 3 nights or more.

We really felt that is was overall a better option, as well as more affordable than a hotel room in the long run. You have room to spread out, washing facilities at some, and can buy groceries, thus cutting on restaurant costs. It was just nice to have a fridge and microwave at times.

Good luck in your decision.
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 10:32 AM

Hi, Just curious which apartment is it near Campo dei Fiori? I have used them (sleepinitaly) and appreciate their service and apartments. $140.00 sounds good but I am wondering which one it is. Please post if you can.

Thanks, Eileen
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 11:00 AM

I've rented a flat in London for a number of years now, where it was a real bargan compared to a decent hotel. But I'm renting them elsewhere also. I pay a little more for my apartment in Paris than I'd pay for a hotel I like in the same neighborhood, just the opposite of London. Next summer we'll be renting a total of six apartments including the usual one in London and a repeat of this year's in Paris.
I don't cook at all on vacation -- and the kitchen only gets used as a place to keep some juice, milk, and maybe cheese. I did actually boil water for the first time in the London flat this year, deciding to make some true iced tea, so the kitchen isn't a biggie for me.

The biggest advantage is the space. It is so nice to be able to come back in the afternoon or evening and relax other than having to use the bed or a cramped chair. One can stay up and read or watch TV in the living room without disturbing the other in the bedroom also.

Regarding sleepinitaly, yes, they have some nice apartments. I just posted a couple days ago about some communication issues I was having with them, but they've pretty much resolved those. Meanwhile I ended up renting an apartment in Rome (between Navonna and Fiori) from www.palazzo-olivia.it
Nice building, elevator, and what appear nice apartments with good prices.
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

Eileen-
It was offered thrue Sleepinitaly.com and the name of it is Via San Salvatore In Campo -Piazza campo dei Fiori.I did decide to go with an Apt. and since time was running out i felt i needed to make a decision quickly. ( thank you Stacia!)I ended up choosing the Palazzo-Olivia near the fiori and piazza Navonna. . It's the Basilio apt.
Patrick- I just booked that place so i can tell how it is next month! I decided to go with them since the woman seems to be so helpful so far. I am initially arriving by myself in this huge city and she is arranging service to pick me up. That helps alot!
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 04:49 PM

Ivitaly. Did you get the request from Palazzo Olivia for the wire transfer of deposit to their bank account? I played dumb and said that was difficult, could I send traveler's checks or some other way instead, and got an immediate response that I could make the deposit with my credit card, which I've done. Also nice that they take credit card for the balance on arrival. And I was pleasantly surprised that there is TWICE weekly maid service with fresh bed linens and towels.
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

Patrick-I was having a problem with the latest E-mail and could not open it. It was to be the contract or whatever it is. I e- mailed her to tell her to do it again but the time difference seems to get in the way. I am in California and at a 9 hour difference we seem to only comunicate in the earlier a.m. They will only get from me a credit card. Who has time for the other! Maid service- for 4 nights i wonder? I doubt it! I will arrive on a late Thursday night and be staying untill Monday a.m. I bet i dont get maid service over the weekend!!I take it you have never stayed there. What made you pick it and which rooms did you go with?
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 06:25 PM

Same one as you -- Basilio. And this is the first time for an apartment in Rome for me, but have stayed at three different hotels. I first read a recommendation for it here, I think, but couldn't find it later when I tried to do a search. I just liked the looks of the place, particularly the building. One of my fears with some of the individual apartments is that they may be in really dreadful buildings, even if the apt. is nice. I liked the elevator idea at Olivia, and being a little higher up. While the places look a little sparse, at least they have some character -- particularly the ceilings, which I'm a sucker for. And I loved the walk-in shower idea, no open tub or hand held shower. Oh, and it only says twice weekly maid service for Weekly rentals.

I'll be anxious to see how you enjoy "my" apartment!!!
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 06:55 PM
Original Poster

Patrick- you are too funny!! I will take pictures for you! I read the reviews on Slowtravel or what ever that website is and seemed to be all good.This will be a first for me to actually stay in the city centre so i guess in a way it worked out for the best, although one can never complain about free accomadations! I to was sold on the "ceilings" as it looked very charming. I am with my parents and the thought of sharing a hotel room for 3 nights just did not foot the bill! I also liked the fact that they arrange for pick-up at the airport. That was most important to me as i am by myself for the 1st night, i get in at dark and am female! They will have a person there with a sign with my name on it. No worrys to have to get a cab. They operate 24/7 so if i am late they will deal with it.