Apartment rental in Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2006, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the final stages of renting an apartment in Paris for 2 families (4 adults and 4 kids)for the last week of June this summer and have reserved a 4 bedroom in the Opera section, next to the Galeries Lafayette in the oerue de la victorie.

I would be grateful for some help on the following questions:
1. Has anyone dealt with the agency welcome2france.com and what was your experience.
2. Our kids are between 8 and 13 years and coming to Paris for the first time; please comment on this location for a first time visit for them to Paris.
3. The apartment has no a/c, but does have fans. Is my understanding correct that Paris, in general, is not very hot that week and having a/c is not a must.
4. Securing a 4 bedroom 2 bath place in central Paris with 8 beds was very difficult. The Agent is asking for 50% of the rent to be sent now by wire(will not take a credit card). This is my first experience of renting an apartment in Paris and I was wondering if the 50% cash sent up-front was normal.
5. I recieved an mail from a competing agency that had very expensive luxury rentals after I turned down a two adjorning apartment proposal that is posted here:
"I thank you for your new message and I understand that you would like to study several alternatives and contacts for your possible next stay in Paris
during the next Spring season 2006. I perfectly understand your situation and possible hesitation on your reservation.
Respectfully, I would like to advise you as a general information about important criteria about your future selection of Parisian rental properties
for short term rental. These criteria are informative in order to help, secure and guarantee a real quality of stay for the visitors in our City.
Unfortunately, we have heard so many bad stories about Parisian rental properties in terms of hygiene and cleanliness, in terms of quality furnishing and equipment; in terms of inexistent service, maid service or emergency reactivity, with no insurance.
On our specialized business activity there is no regulation law and no legal law valid for everyone who wants to work on this domain.
The official Paris Tourist office, has not worked at all on a specific Quality chart to teach or advise future visitors about "HOW TO RENT A APARTMENT" in Paris, giving to people some specific helpful recommendation to secure them on their future stay.
It means that today this business door is opened to everyone, specially opened for non professional people, without mentioning private owners who declare renting directly their properties as professionals companies, without forgetting numbers of foreign companies based abroad pretending to represent the Parisian properties with exclusivity ( totally wrong ) and when the client are in Paris, there is no physical representative.
This general situation is for us quite scary and unacceptable for future visitors who simply deserve to spend a quality stay whatever their rental budget.
We humbly do not pretend that our company is the number One or the best in Paris , but we certainly know perfectly how to welcome our guests in Paris doing our best to make their stay enjoyable and an unforgettable experience. This is our utmost MISSION.
I thank you for your comprehension and attention, and we do hope having the pleasure welcoming you in our beautiful city for a next future."
6. For our second week of vacation we were thinking of renting a home in the Loire valley.
I very much appreciate any comments and advice you can give me.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 09:50 AM

Was it 2 years ago that they had one of the wort heat waves on record during that time? I don't think anyone can tell you what the weather will be like on that particular week but it certainly CAN be very hot.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 10:00 AM

Ditto to Sandi_Travelnut!

I am looking for a one month rental in October, and deposits vary. I have seen them at 50% before, but it depends on length and size of rental and company.

I recommend you go to tripadvisor.com, then go to forums and type in Paris. This board has a LOT of info on apartments and you can post a question there and get quick answers as the board is Paris specific!
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 10:19 AM

I'm not clear on that long quote on insurance, etc. Did you have some questions about it or something? It's just a long statement about how they think they are good and anyone can rent apts. in Paris, which is true. I don't think it's regulated in any way.

However, as to the deposit. Yes, that is quite normal. Any agency will require a deposit for a vacation apt. rental, and 50 pct upon booking is quite normal. If you don't like that, you might not like if they require prepayment before you even stay there, which most do. I don't know of any agency or person who rents vacation rental apts in Paris and doesn't require complete payment in advance before you've even stayed there. Sometimes half of that may not be due until arrival, but you must pay before you stay usually. Most places require about half upon booking and the rest somewhere between 30-60 days in advance, I think.

The wiring thing is not a requirement, of course, it's just how a business has set up to accept payment. I have only dealt with agencies who accept credit cards, or at least a cashier's check that I can send Global Priority Mail. I prefer using a credit card for lots of reasons (convenience and because of the customer service backups you get with a CC). Many other people don't care and deal with individuals and pay some form of cash or wiring money.

I'm sure a 4 bedrm apt. is quite rare. I do not know welcome2france.com, but it appears to be just a website for a group of private owners rather than a real agency. At least they give some numbers for customer service and stuff, so this group of people seem somewhat organized.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 10:30 AM

1. Have not dealt with this agency but the pics look nice
2. Location is OK, not as charming as say, Bastille/Marais or St Germain de Pres but OK, and at Opera you can make some good Metro connections.
3. No guarantees on the weather; it may be pleasant or can get quite warm that time of year (I have been there in a heat wave.) Comfort will partly depend on the configuration of the apartment - windows, ventilation. IMHO fans are worthless, just move around hot air. Especially with that many people, I would probably look for something with AC but that's becasue I hate hot, stuffy places.
4. Practices vary, but deposists are understandably common. I have placed a deposit whenever renting, Paris and elsewhere. Look at the terms of the contract and do not send money until you see the entire contract.
5. Sounds like marketing material and I wouldn't let it scare me.
6. No suggestions on Loire valley other than try VRBO.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 04:39 AM

We have put down our deposit with Welcome2France for our April visit to Paris. So far they have been great to work with. Once we sent our deposit they emailed a a URL with past guest comments. This list included email addresses and I did email about 5 of them and they responded with positivie comments. Several included phone numbers and I called one woman at her work (a teacher in Minnesota) and she had nothing but praise for Welcome2France.

Obviously I can't tell you the final outcome but so far I have had nothing but a positive reaction. This is the first time we have gone the apartment route and it has been a little bit daunting.

Have a great trip to Paris. It's a wonderful city.

Karl
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 10:09 AM

I have rented several apartments/houses in Europe (France, England, Italy). 50% payment in cash (or wire transfer) is the norm, as is no credit cards. So I wouldn't let that requirement scare you off.

In all instances there has been an agreement in writing that clearly states what I am renting and the services. That might give you peace of mind.

Good luck with your 4 bedroom/8 beds quest. I can understand why that would be expensive -- apartments in Paris are generally fairly tiny.