Apartment Rental

Oct 13th, 2010, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

Apartment Rental

My husband and I are planning a trip to Paris and were thinking of renting an apartment. We are bringing along our two daughters 9 and 13. Any suggestions or comments on apartment rentals would help.
Thanks,
addieandmike
Oct 13th, 2010, 06:35 AM

I strongly advise that you rent in one of the central arrondissements (neighborhoods) 1-8. There are several agencies that posters on this board favor including Paris Perfect and Vacation in Paris. We've used the latter and were pleased.

Have a great trip.
Oct 13th, 2010, 07:17 AM

Here's another huge recommendation for Vacation in Paris, and Paris Perfect if you can afford those...

If you've never rented an apartment in Paris, it's really best to select a property/agency for which you can find reliable reviews. Otherwise, it's a huge leap of faith. Most go well, but you wouldn't want to be one of the disasters.

Resist the urge to save a few dollars/euros on a property that doesn't meet all your requirements. A few flights of stairs may not seem too bad, except that you have to haul your bags up and down on arrival/departure and any stairs after a long day of being out and about can be brutal. (Would you run out for fresh pastries every morning if several flights of stairs were involved?) Depending on the time of your visit, you may want to consider whether you'll want air conditioning. And, a washer/dryer is really nice to have so you can pack far more lightly. Consider whether you'll be comfortable in a one-bedroom that "sleeps four", if the couch when unfolded consumes all the living room floor space and you'd have to step over the girls to get to the kitchen if they sleep later. Consider also whether you would appreciate a bathtub versus shower only. Some of those showers are miserably compact.

I disagree with limiting your search for arrondissements 1-9. There are plenty of apartments just as convenient in the 9th, and double-digit arrondissements. We just returned from a stay in an apartment located in the 15th, but it was right on the border of the 14th and 6th. Local shopping, cafes, bus, metro, could not have been more convenient. Rates tend to be much lower and/or you receive more value in the not as "central" neighborhoods. Especially appealing is the 17th. You will incur a bit of additional transit time to "all the major sights and attractions", but a few metro stop are inconsequential and there is wonderful scenery to be enjoyed taking buses.

Be sure to study payment terms (and cancellation policies) and methods of payment, which vary from owner to owner. Some payment methods can be quite inconvenient (and add extra expense).

Many first-time visitors want to be within walking distance of much, rather that use/learn the public transportation system. But, it's easy enough to get around on metro/bus, and very economical (compared to many other major cities) as well.

Staying in an apartment definitely has huge advantages versus a hotel room. You have more room to spread out, seating other than beds, a proper table/chairs, and a kitchen - which will save you a fortune on beverages, breakfasts, snacks. Most neighborhoods are chock full of wonderful prepared foods, so no cooking required, along with the incredible Picard frozen food emporiums (and not what you would presume).

Know that you may spend hours and hours compiling a list, only to find that many/most are not available for your dates (all depending on time of year of your visit). The availability calendars on websites are not reliable. So, it's best to check availability as you go, but not feel pressured to book immediately when the owner/agent responds.

You can always post your final possibilities (with links) here where those with lots of experience can review with a more discerning eye and provide feedback.
Oct 13th, 2010, 09:08 AM

Given the current trend of the dollar against the Euro, you may want to seriously consider Vacation In Paris, the rates they advertise are in Dollars, and I haven't seen adjustments up in their rates. Many of the other sites I reviewed for our March trip were all payable in Euros, so you will have to pay more dollars as the Euro rises. The current cost of one Euro is $1.395. For a 1000 Euro apartment for a week, it'll cost you $1,395.00 today. If it goes up to $1.60 per Euro as it was last year and in 08, it's $1,600. To me, a $205.00 difference in price is substantial enough to concern myself with the differences. The converse is that if you have a $1,000.00 budget, you're currently looking at apartments with a 715 Euro cost.
Oct 13th, 2010, 09:13 AM

Let's start at the beginning---what is your budget, how long are you planning to be there, and at what time of year?
Oct 13th, 2010, 09:26 AM

This past summer, our family (2 adults and 1 child) stayed in a 2 BR apt in Montmartre (18th.) Balcony and view of Sacre Couer were incredible. Company was www.parisvacationapartments.com and their pricing is in U.S. dollars. We just loved returning home to our apt in a residential neighborhood and enjoying the local shops and restaurants. No metro ride was ever longer than 10 minutes to get to the tourist sights. It was the highlight of the trip for us! Can't imagine ever staying in a hotel in Paris again.
Oct 13th, 2010, 09:49 AM

I like walking around Paris. The compact size of the city is a great attraction, especially for first time visitors. If you stay in a central arrondissement (1-8) you will be within walking distance of a great monument, museum, park or attraction, whether its the Louvre in the 1st, the Arc de Triomphe in the 1st/8th, Notre Dame in the 4th, the Latin Quarter and Pantheon in the 5th, the D'Orsay, the Rodin, or the Eiffel Tower in the 7th or Luxembourg Gardens in the 6th, to name a very few. Then there is the river. To me that proximity is both majestic and intimate, especially in the early hours before the city gets busy, but also at night when the city is lit.

Stay a little further out and you ride a bus or metro to see and experience those things. Sorta like "visiting" New York City while staying in Hoboken, NJ.
Oct 13th, 2010, 10:45 AM

In March I stayed in the apt below wih my daughter & grand daughter. In our opinion it made for the best vacation ever. To come home at night and sit on the balcony with a glass of wine with the eiffel tower almost in your backyard was wonderful. My 15 yr old granddaughter loved it. The 2nd bedroom has a trundle bed which could work for your 2 daughters. The location was grerat only a short walk to the metro and we found many restaurants in the neighborhood.

http://www.rentalfrance.com/index.ph...effeil-terrace

Your daughters will love Paris. Have a great trip.
Oct 13th, 2010, 11:01 AM

We stayed in this apartment

http://www.parisvacationapartments.c...3rd-floor.html

It was great! I would stay there again in a heartbeat. What did I like ?
- convenient to metro, Louvre
- fun to stay "in" Palais Royal
- high quality - spacious enough for all of us
- washer/dryer
- elevator access
- wireless internet (plus a pc)
- 2 bathrooms
- rental company very responsive and easy to work with (ie they noticed a few lightbulbs out when they checked us in, was fixed w/in 24 hours)

Your girls will have a great time!
Oct 14th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!