Apartment in Rome

Sep 27th, 2006, 04:06 AM
Original Poster

Apartment in Rome

Has anyone used the company Rental in Rome to book an apartment? If so, did you get what you booked for and was the service good?
Sep 27th, 2006, 06:21 AM

I have an apt booked through Rental in Rome for the middle of November....they have been fairly swift in replying to my emails....I can post a report on our rental when I return.
Nov 28th, 2006, 08:45 AM

Back from Europe....had a wonderful 5 week trip. Rental in Rome turned out to be a good thing....I would recommend them to anyone. We were so pleased with our apt in Trastevere....plenty of room for 5 of us.
Nov 28th, 2006, 08:53 AM

Welcome back home.
I'll be staying in Trastevere, near Piazza Santa Maria, in May 2007. What can you tell me about Trastevere, places not to miss, interesting things to do, restaurants, shops, etc.? Appreciate any information about the neighborhood.
Nov 28th, 2006, 04:46 PM

topping. I'll be in trastevere in May too..
Nov 28th, 2006, 06:31 PM

Our apt was on San Cosimato - southeast of Piazza S.M. It was around the corner from the best gelati shop on Francesco da Ripa at Viale di Trastevere. Our kids had gelati almost everyday we were in Italy, and this was voted the best....sorry don't know the name. We walked everywhere....easily to the Colisseo from our apt, and also walked home from St Peter's Basilica. THAT was a good hike. Also walked to Piazza Navona/Trevi fountain and all through that area of Rome.
On Viale di Trastevere, there is a large department store with a fairly large grocery store in the basement. It is called Standa and it is near the intersection of V.d.Trastevere and Francesco di Ripa. Internet is down Viale D Trast....by the McDonald's. We found that we didn't have enough time to really sit and explore Trastevere, and I had plans to do a walking tour of the area. But with all the walking we did, I don't feel like we missed out on anything. We did eat in one restaurant in the area, but it wasn't any more memorable than any other. Trastevere was a jumping off point for the rest of Rome. Do take some time to look in the churches around you though, they were beautiful. I did love opening my windows and watching the street below. We never figured out the tram that runs through the area.
I also loved living amongst the Italians, and not playing tourist in a hotel. We ate at many take out pizza shops and they were always a satisfying meal. It's a great area, and I would stay there again.
Nov 28th, 2006, 06:51 PM

Corinne,
thanks for the info. I'm really looking forward to our stay in Trastevere. The gelato sounds delicious, I'm sure we'll find it !
It sounds like you walked off all of your calories...
Nov 29th, 2006, 04:16 AM

Corinnedr
Thank you for the helpful information about staying in Trastevere. Sounds like you really enjoyed the area. Do you recall how long of a walk is the Vatican/St. Peters from Trastevere?
Nov 29th, 2006, 05:47 AM

We didn't time it, but I would guess.. 45 minutes. Earlier in the day we had walked to the Colosseo, bussed it to Trevi and then walked from Trevi Fountain to the Vatican (an hour? - getting lost in the maze of streets). We walked around the Vatican walls to the entrance to find out it was closed already, so had to go back to the front of St Peter's. Another long hike. After visiting inside St Peter's we walked back to our apt in the dark, and we were beat. It was that gelato shop by our apt. that kept us going! By the way, I am in mid 40's and not in shape, and my youngest son is 11 -it was a mighty long day, but I loved it. If we could do this walk, I would guess most people could.
Nov 29th, 2006, 08:31 AM

I booked with Rental in Rome several weeks ago for May. I started the process on a Saturday night and by Thursday I had my confirmation. I thought they were very fast with my emails and questions that I asked.
Nov 29th, 2006, 02:15 PM

We stayed in the same area as corinnedr and found that you could hussle down via della Lungara to Piazza San Pietro in less than a half hour. It's not the best street in Rome but a better alternative to the roaring Lungotevere. Getting to the Vatican from almost anywhere in Rome takes a little effort, but for that Trastevere is no great disadvantage.

The benefit of Trastevere is that it is dense with amenities for daily apartment living and although heavily touristed in the via della Lungaretta zone, it still overall retains a strong neighbourhood feeling. The area around Piazza di San Cosimato as described is particularly so. I miss it.
The price paid to stay there is usually an interesting ten minute extra walk to the Centro district but it was never a problem for us in the context of a long days walking. The walk over one of the bridges and the pause to take in the river was always a pleasure. At the end of the day, if we were tired and too far away, we grabbed a quick cab ride for not many euros. Like a lot of Romans who pour into the area at night to eat in the plethora of good restaurants.

Any guidebook will give the 'highlights' of Trastevere but I would not miss a sunrise walk up to and on the Gianicolo hill with its vast views over Rome. The real thrill of this compact neighbourhood can be the daily wander, always choosing a different route as one sets out or returns from the daily excursion to the rest of Rome. Its then easy to run into the highlights and interesting shops, galleries or the famous churches. It's not that big.
Nov 29th, 2006, 02:37 PM

Ditto every single thing normano said about Trastevere. Including the walk up the Gianiculo. Though any time of day is good, imvho...we were once there when the (daily) noon cannon (Garibaldi's cannon??) was shot off -- that's a waker-upper!
Nov 29th, 2006, 03:26 PM

Corrinedr, Normanoromano, LucieV:

Thanks for all of your info and insight about staying in Trastevere - I cant wait to visit this neighborhood. If you'll permit me one more question - your favorite/best restaurant(s) in Trastevere?
Nov 29th, 2006, 03:58 PM

I spent a month a short distance from Trastevere and have very fond memories of it. I third the recommendation of a walk up the Gianicolo Hill for the wonderful panoramic view of Rome. If you are into architecture, you might make a stop at the Tempietto in the cloister of San Pietro in Montorio, on your way up the hill. Despite its diminutive size, it is considered a masterpiece of High Renaissance architecture (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tempietto). Another offbeat site near Trastevere is the Orto Botanico (located at the end of Via Corsini) which isn't really a tourist attraction as such but it is a quiet (except at noon when the cannon goes off, yikes!) and pretty place if you are in need of a respite from the city (http://www.jacobite.ca/gazetteer/Rome/OrtoBotanico.htm). I can also highly recommend the drinking water from the fountain on Via Corsini (on the left as you are heading towards the Orto Botanico). Bring a water bottle and fill up! It's delicious and absolutely free.

Finally, and most importantly, I offer my recommendation for the best gelato in Trastevere: the Bar San Calisto (I believe it is at the corner of Via dell'Arco di San Calisto and Via di San Francesco a Ripa at the southeast corner Piazza S.M.). This was the near-unanimous choice of the group with whom I was traveling. (I can't tell if it is the same gelateria that corinnedr recommended...I guess testing is in order!)
Nov 29th, 2006, 04:34 PM

There is only one restaurant in Trastevere that really stands out in my memory...unfortunately, it doesn't stand out distinctively enough that I remember its name or exactly where it was! After looking at maps, my best guess is that we ate at the restaurant opposite this one: www.tavernademercanti.com

And we would have eaten at that restaurant but it was too crowded for us to get in. There are two restuarants opposite each other with outdoor eating. There are a bunch of torches burning along the buildings that gives the area a wonderful atmosphere. At the restaurant opposite the one where we were eating, there was a kind of play going on, with a woman sticking her head out of the building and scolding a man down below and then throwing something out. I remember it being funny and all the diners at both restaurants laughing.

Sorry I can't be more precise, I hope others are able to offer more helpful suggestions.
Nov 29th, 2006, 05:08 PM

Interesting. I never thought of Bar San Calisto as a gelateria. It is a famous bar with an solid reputation (at times described as colorful or even seedy). Depends what time of day. What I noticed is that it was often and, particularly through the day, a very 'local' bar and with a regular clientel far removed from the aristocrats of say via Babuino. I saw a little more beer in the morning than at any others. I am ashamed to say that despite a reasonable bohemian cv. that I passed it by every trip through. The fact that it was usually packed was not enough excuse.

For restaurants, it depends what you are looking for.
Pizzerie: Dar Poeta and Da Ivo are the most known and very popular (well maybe most restaurants in Trastevere are popular). For wine bars, Enoteca Ferrara.
There are scores of 'typical Roman fare' ristoranti/trattorie ranging from many tourist traps to fine dining ones like Alberto Ciarlo. Of the trattorie I think maybe we liked Paris, an old standby with a Roman-Jewish bent. Ripa 12 was good. Checco er Carattiere is well known but may have seen better days. One that I wanted to get to but missed and is heavily recommended, is Antico Arco up the hill on Piazzale Aurelio. Next time.

I can offer two more that are more contemporary or eclectic in their menus and decor: Viz Capitali on Vicolo della Renella and Spirito Divino on Via dei Genovesi. The last gets a lot of (American) tourists and the staff/owners are borderline obnoxious in their pandering and patter but the food is adventurous and the wine list extensive with their cellar located deep below in an ancient excavated synagogue and they insist you visit it and hear their historical riff. These restaurants and another called Asinocotto, which we passed up because it was otherwise empty, seem to give truth to the idea that Romans avoid places where decor reigns and I wondered at the commitment of these owners who worked hard to trend Roman cuisine into a more international context and passed up the buckets of euros that the more ordinary and touristy restaurants must regularly fill from the hoards that descend every night. But then maybe it just means that it's hard get a bad meal in Trastevere. I remember only one in 18 days.
Nov 29th, 2006, 05:50 PM

Hi normanoromano - you can walk up and buy gelato on the left side of the Bar San Calisto (as you stand facing the building)...but maybe the term gelateria is over-stating it? It was a small, no-frills room with a taciturn scoop mistress, but boy did they have great gelato! I admit I too was intimidated and never ate dinner there, despite being told how good it was. Maybe next time.
Nov 29th, 2006, 07:19 PM

Slow Wanderer, did I say 'intimidated'? I was trying to avoid that word. Funny how transparent we are in our 'anonymity'.
Tempietto was a pilgrimage, waited since Art History 125 in 1964.
Orto for me was a little thin but I come from an area with some great botanical gardens. Worth the walk and very quiet with good views from up the hill. Actually the Vatican gardens have a vaster and nore complex range of cultivars and they seem to have a little more money for maintenance. It is complex to reserve tour and the Vatican sponsored tour is only access.
The night we selected Spirito Divino we checked the Taverna de' Mercanti but passed for similar reasons and it was early. Great ambiance though. The restaurant you reco'd was packed with tourists (early- a key indicator, Romans don't venture forth much before 9ish in October) and lots of musicians. It all looked like fun but we had seen enough of all that by then.
Nov 29th, 2006, 08:02 PM

Gelato: Blue Ice, right in the Piazza Santa Maria. Yes, it's a "chain", but a chain in Italy ain't Baskin-Robbins, you can rest assured! I've been a gelato eater for longer than I will admit, & it's some of the best I've ever had. We must've gone there at least twice a day on our most recent trip (this October)!
May 14th, 2007, 01:09 PM

Hello. We (a group of 6) just came back from Rome and just want to share our great experience with the place below. Very clean and spacious as well as a host that speaks English. Highly recommend. Certainly recommend this agency as they were very pleasant and easy to communicate. Good luck!

http://www.b-b.rm.it/accommodations/desc.php?id=387

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO