Apartment in Rome

Search

Apartment in Rome

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apartment in Rome

I getting ready to rent 2 apartments in Rome for a week in November. Finally found ones that have everything I wanted. I wanted the Campo di Fiori area and these are right across the Tiber river bridge at Ponte Amedeo. In fact, you can see the river from the apartments. It also looks like they are right on busline 64. Wanted to check this out before I put down the deposit. Will they be convenient for my young adult children to walk safely at night to get to restaurants/bars in the Campo area? Are they close to grocery stores or food markets? What are the markets like - are they large grocery stores like here in the US or smaller with alot of fresh meat and vegetables like I've seen in other cities in Europe?
Old Aug 13th, 2008, 12:06 PM

If you click on your screen name you can see replies to your other post on this subject. The areas you are talking about are safe, but Roma is also a big capital city, and too much drink and walking about is not advisable for anyone, anywhere. Your young adults should take that into consideration.

I don't take the bus in Roma, but there is one busline -- and I believe it is 64 -- that tourists complain is lousy with pickpockets. Double check the number, but I doubt you or anybody in your party will need to take the bus anywhere.

There are food stores everywhere in Roma. You will find better quality if you go separately to the butcher, the baker and the produce vendors than if you go to the supermercati. There are also open air markets.

Old Aug 13th, 2008, 12:30 PM

Where is Ponte Amedeo? I don't have it on my map and have never heard of it. What is the street address?
Old Aug 13th, 2008, 12:33 PM

The daily food mood market in Campo di Fiori:

http://www.webvisionitaly.com/catego...p;ref_item=179

There are few butchers in the square as well.

Lucky you!
Old Aug 13th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

On the map it looks like it is a major bridge crossing between Lungotevere Gianicolense and Lungot. D. Sangallo just south of Piazza Adriana. Uf you kept walking in a straight line from the bridge you would be in the Piazza Navona.
Old Aug 13th, 2008, 12:55 PM

Your directions aren't making sense. Piazza Adriana is on Lungotevere Castello, immediately east of Castel Sant' Angelo, not near Gianicolense or Sangallo. Could you post the link to the apartment or give the street address? And if they're not giving you the street address, that is definitely not a good sign. It usually means that they are telling you it's more conveniently located than it really is.

As far as Bus 64, I've taken it numerous times. Yes, it is known as the pickpocket express, but I've never had a problem, nor have I ever seen anyone else pickpocketed. Just be aware of your surroundings, keep your hand on your purse, and don't leave valuables in an easily accessible pocket.
Old Aug 13th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. Yes, we've already had the Mom lecture about stupid, irresponsible behavior in a strange country, strange city and they don't speak Italian. One of my sons was pickpocketed in Prague (luckily he only had a few Euros on him) and I think that made an impression about all my lectures about safety. He was just standing outside a public place about 9PM, a young girl came up suddenly and put her arms around him as to hug him and he told her to leave him alone. What he hadn't realized until later, that when she put her arms around his waist, she pulled out money from his back pocket. That's why I had told him before this - always put your money in your front pocket. He didn't have his wallet with him so he was missing $10. But she was good - he said it happened so fast and he was so shocked that a stranger would hug him that he didn't realize at first what was happening. Liquor was not involved in this and he wasn't in a bar. But it was the last time he put any money in his back pocket or a wallet while on vacation. But it had the potential of a disaster if he would have had a large amount of money on him or his passport.
Old Aug 13th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

I was looking at a Rome pocket map when I wrote the directions. The apartment is through Rental in Rome and it's Sangallo View Apartments A & B. The address is Piazza della Rovere and there's pictures taken from the apartment and you can see the bridge from the apartment and from the map on their website it looks like the bridge is either called or near Ponte Amedeo Savoia Aosta or Acosta. It looks like it's down the river from Piazza Adriana. You can also see this apartment on their website rentalinrome.com. I've never rented an apartment before on vacation and it's taken me forever to find 2 apartments that have what I want so I hope this rental company is o.k.
Old Aug 13th, 2008, 01:21 PM

I checked directions and got 1.6 miles from the Piazza to Campo de Fiori. You did notice the apartments appear to be at a very busy intersection with lots of traffic?

Old Aug 13th, 2008, 01:23 PM

OK, now I see why I couldn't find that bridge on my map. Mine shows Am. Sav. Aosta, so they abbreviated the Amedeo. The location is, of course, near the Vatican so convenient for that. I think you might need to take some buses, depending on where you're going. For examle, it would be quite a hike to the Colosseum.

I don't think you need to worry about it being unsafe. Just be aware that there is a lot of drinking among young people around Campo de' Fiori.

As far as that rental company, I haven't used them, but if you do a search here you should find some reviews.
Old Aug 13th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

The location isn't my first choice but I never thought/knew about renting an apartment in Europe so this is months after I've made my plane reservations and have a room at a bed/breakfast. I need 2 apartments, 2 bedrooms and other extras and by the time I've found something fairly close to each other, many of them are already booked. Next time I will start when I make my plane reservations.What started out as my friend from Ireland and I meeting in Rome, has now grown to 6 people. One son and his girlfriend from NY, my other son and his male friend from here, and my Irish friend and myself. That's why the need for so many bedrooms and I don't want people sleeping in the living room on sofa beds although I think there are 2 double beds in the apartment so one son and his male friend will have to decide who gets one of bedrooms and who gets the sofa bed. But they're young and they don't care where they sleep or if the bed is made either. I initially tried to get one huge apartment but my friend from Ireland has only met one of my children and I don't think it's fair to her to have her stay all week with 3 people she's never met plus all the noise and confusion. So she and I will share one QUIET apartment and let the other 4 do their own thing. This has given me a giant headache.These apartments were vacant as of this morning when I woke up and I have to wait for confirmation until tomorrow due to the time difference between Rome and Vegas. It's a huge plus having them in the same building.
Old Aug 13th, 2008, 02:19 PM

I like your idea of being close to Campo di Fiori for the young adults at night. We did exactly that 2 summers ago when we took our 2 young adult children to Rome. They had a blast hanging out at the nightspots in the Campo. We stayed in a 2 bedroom apt about 2 blocks off the Campo.

I looked up your location on the map, using http://maps.google.com. (If you want a satellite view of exactly where your apt is, put in " Piazza della Rovere, Rome,Italy" and click on "satellite". It's pretty neat) The walk to your apartment would be a good hike from the Campo. Your children would probably opt for a taxi instead. Your apartment looks very nice from what I see on the website, but be advised that it is located at a very busy intersection of roads, so noise may be a factor. You may want to inquire if the windows there are soundproofed.

You are on the Vatican side of the Tiber, so it will be convenient for touring St. Peters and the Vatican. But everything else you will want to see will be on the other side of the Tiber. There is not much nightlife within a short walk from where you'll be staying.

If you want an apartment with a more charming neighborhood ambience and off of the main roads, I would suggest looking closer to the Campo area.
Old Aug 13th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

I have spent days looking - either what I want is rented, it's too expensive or there's not enough bedrooms. I've been to 6 websites that rent apartments. I need them fairly close because I can't keep running back and forth long distances to keep in touch with the other people in the party. If you want a one bedroom, one bath, sleep the extra people on a sofa bed type apartment, there's tons of them to rent but that won't work. I did find some lovely large apartments but the cost is way too much. I had never considered the Vatican side of the river before because I heard it was very quiet as far as night life. But I don't know where else to look for what I want and what I can afford. I had hoped since this is right across the river that the walk to the Campo area wouldn't be too far but 1.5 miles isn't close. I haven't rented these yet so I could always change my mind.
Old Aug 13th, 2008, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

I do still have info (if they're not rented) on 4 other apartments. One is by Piazza di Montevecchio, one by Via Po, one by Piazza Del Popolo, and one by Piazza Delle Coppelle (Pantheon). Looks like on the map that the Montevecchio and the Delle Coppelle would be the closet to each other. What do you think? I don't want alot of traffic noise but I don't want drunk, screaming college kids outside my window either. These apartments are through Sleep in Italy except the Via Po one and that's through Rental in Rome.
Old Aug 13th, 2008, 04:04 PM

I understand your frustration. It took me months to find the right apartment in Rome!

Rule out Via Po. Not in the right area.

Montevecchio and Coppelle are in very good areas (the Centro Historico). Near Piazza Navonna, which is very cool, and mabey a 15 minute walk to Campo di Fiori.

I can only attest to the section of town. I cannot vouch for the apartments themselves. You have to decide that! I would estimate that Montevecchio and Coppelle are 10 minutes apart by walking. Go to Mappy.com and it can give you estimated times on foot.

You will find an endless variety of bars and restaurants in this part of town.

Let me leave you with this: this best part of Rome is exploring on foot. Good luck!
Old Aug 13th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

I wondered about Via Po because it was so nice and not real expensive. Glad I'm not the only one who's had problems. If it was just myself or myself and my son (we're usually the only ones that go to Europe) this would have been a piece of cake. I'm trying to meet the needs of 6 people, 3 of which aren't related to each other and no one's ever met my son's girlfriend, and my Irish friend has only met my Vegas son. I'm also dealing with 2 age groups 20's and 50's, I'm paying for alot of the expenses and unfortunately I am not related to Donald Trump so you can see where I'm coming from. I don't want an unsafe area just because it's cheap nor do I want my children if they want to go out at night in a bad area or a place where they have to get a cab all the time. Sleep in Italy sent me some apartments to look and I've found a couple of more in Campo. Will have to give up an extra bathroom on some of them but can't get everything I want.
Old Aug 13th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Here are the choices I still have:

These 2 would work out well but think the location wouldn't work.

-Lungotever Flaminio & Via Flaminia
-Via Giuseppe Pisanelli & Via Mariano Fortuny

Here are the ones in Campo:

-Via di Monserrato & Via del Banchi Vecchi
-Via del Guibbo & Via del Monte della Farina
-Via del Pellegrino & Corso Vittorio Emanuelle

I'm going to copy a map of the area and mark exactly where these are because it's hard to visualize it all without it being written down.

Old Aug 13th, 2008, 05:34 PM

I've stayed at the Hotel Le Rovere a few steps off of Piazza delle Rovere. It's a healthy 25 minute walk to either Campo dei Fiore or the happening part of Trastevere. So long as everybody stays out of the Gianicolo park at night -- walk along the river instead -- and doesn't wander the back alleys of Trastevere (stick with the crowd), I wouldn't expect a problem.

That particular area is sandwiched in between Gianicolo and the Vatican, and while there is one extremely homey, enjoyable informal restaurant called Sor'Eva, it has very few other restaurants and services that I can remember. You should ask the apartment owners how close the nearest food market is.

The piazza is a transportation hub. There is a bus depot behind the piazza which I don't think you'll much hear, but other traffic noise could be intense. When I stayed there, the Pope died the first morning of my stay and for the entire time I was there, everything was blocked off except for queues of pilgrims. So I can't tell you what it would be normally like. I would expect noise.

It's an area I would go back to, because I'm quite used to tromping long distances in Roma. You might find the extra half hour's walk from touristing and the enjoyable piazzas -- Navona, Rotunda, Campo dei Fiore, Santa Maria in Trastevere -- rather a drag. It won't be easy to pop back to the apartment in the middle of the day or before dinner, and then stroll out the door for a pleasant apertivo somewhere.

But apart from the usual warnings about pickpockets, you'll all be quite safe up there. The Vatican sets the tone.

As for your other choices, much of what is near Piazza del Popolo is quite nice, but be sure you are close to the piazza, or on the side that faces the Vatican, rather than going the other way.

Staying near the Pantheon is usually ideal for everything.
Old Aug 13th, 2008, 05:37 PM

By the way, are you using the Slow Travel apartment reviews for Roma as a resource? They could save you a lot of time if not.
Old Aug 13th, 2008, 05:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've stayed in an apartment on via del Pellegrino before and it was great! If you're at where it's close to the Corso it could be loud (traffic) but it will also be quieter than being right next to the Campo itself.

I'd be fine with the Monserrato one too. Next December we are staying at the Bramante Penthouse from rentalinrome, also a good location. I hope I like staying by Piazza Navona as much as I've enjoyed staying by the Campo, in Trastevere and in Piazza della Rotunda.

You have some good locations for touring Rome. What are you worrying about?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -