Anzio Beach - resort or WWII site?

Old Aug 31st, 2005, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anzio Beach - resort or WWII site?

Hello, I was wondering if anybody has been to Anzio Beach. I couldn't find much on the internet. The pictures I did find see make it look like a beach resort. I pictured it more like the beaches on Normandy. Is there any reference of WWII or any museums regarding this topic located there? We are interested in the WWII history there. Thank you.
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 01:38 PM

Yes, we rented a villino for a week not far from Anzio a few years ago and spent quite a bit of time there. It didn't strike me as a resort town at all, though the beaches to the north and south of it have their share of hotels and tourist attractions.

It's a very lively port town with great restaurants, a big outdoor market (can't remember which day, ,but I'm sure you can find it on the web), nice shops and cafés, etc. And the WWII Museum (if you can find it!) is well worth a visit, as are the nearby American and British cemeteries.

We loved our time in that part of Italy!
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 08:13 PM

hello Dbacks...you'll find very little about the war in Anzio itself. The actual landing beach is now part of an Italian military installation (can't go there)

The American cemetary is in Nettuno, the next town, it is big and very well kept. I lost my brother-in-law in May 1944 in the Anzio-Cassino battle so I visit there often.

StCirq is right..the beaches are north and south of Anzio and are very nice.
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 05:12 AM
DRJ

The American cemetery in Nettuno is a sobering visit. Nettuno is an hour train ride from Rome and if you have access to Fred Plotkin's book he lauds a little trattoria there. I ate there a couple of years ago and it was worth the trip.
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 11:36 AM

We are staying in Anzio - Hotel Succi - 2 nights - to show my 12 yr old grandson the WW2 museum and landing beaches. He is a WW2 scholar. Any good advice?? We are also staying in Cassino, and Amalfi - to see Paestum/Salerno beaches and WW2 sites + Rome 4 nights
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 12:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Although it seems irrelevant to the topic, there was a reasonable display of WWII photographs at the museum in Paestum - not of any of the battles at the Salerno landings, but because much of the Greek artifacts in the Museum were originally dug up whilst the Military were trying to build an airfield.