Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Anyone used Rick Steves luggage on Luftansa?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10th, 2007, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are flying Paris to Frankfurt and reverse on Luftansa and I need to know if they are fussy about carryon measurements. I'm looking at Rick Steves wheeled tote which will hold our laptop and cameras but it's listed as too deep 16 1/2 x 13 1/2 x 10 inches. Luftansa lists 21.6x15.7x7.8 for carryons. The 7.8 inches or 20cm doesn't fit much luggage. Do they measure or restrict?
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 05:00 AM

Why buy it? Is it that wonderful that you would chance having to check it?

My standard Hartmann 20" rollaboard meets Lufthansa's standards (21x7x 16) and could carry a lot of camera and laptop (mine carries C-Pap, change of clothes, and laptop on domestic flights).

They were obsessive about weight the last time I flew them internationally.
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 06:01 AM

You can avoid possible discussions about your carry ons at check-in (and weight, 8kg max, is usually more an issue than an additional centimeter or two) when you get your boarding passes from the self-service machines.

Try to be at the gate in time, and try not to board the plane as the very last person when space in overhead bins may have become scarce.

They usually don't make a fuss about a bit too wide or a bit too large.. but no one can guarantee you that.
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 06:13 AM

We flew with his luggage this past year and it was no problem at all. It fit just fine, and noone questioned it. We will be flying with it again on Luftansa in January.
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 07:08 AM

You should be fine but, as mentioned, Lufthansa can be quite strict with the weight limit (8kg), so be prepared. Obviously, you may sail through and nobody will say a word, but I have had my bags weighed (and checked) several times this year in Europe, with many different carriers, in both business and coach.

My only suggestion is to be sure to pack some sort of bag in which to shove your essentials, such as your ipod, laptop, etc. Even something as simple as a plastic shopping bag will mean that, should you have the misfortune of having to check, you will at least have something to put those things in.
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 07:49 AM

10" is very thick for a carry-on. Even if they let you slip by, you probably can't get it to fit in the overhead.
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 08:22 AM

Lufthansa's hand luggage size is the same as many low costs airlines - 55x40x20cm

The weight allowance is lower than most low costs airlines
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 09:37 AM

FWIW the last 4 times we've flown LH they have checked size and weight of carryons and, from what we saw, they were being very strict. If OK, they put a tag on it that said "cabin approved". These were on transatlantic flights.
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 09:50 AM

I am a frequent flyer with Lufthansa (I must have taken 200+ flights with LH in my life) and never had a problem and never noticed someone having a problem. I never noticed that Lufthansa weighs. In fact, they have no scales.

Sometimes, I even take a 15kg carry-on with me and I notice that many fellow travellers do the same.

I have no idea how some posters come to the notion that Lufthansa is strict with carry-on. Maybe, they get stict if someone carries to excess. But if you are reasonable, no problem.

BTW, IF your carry-on is too large (this may happen if the aircraft is small, like ATR or Canadair, or if you have bulky carry-ons like a stroller or wheelchair) then your carry-on will be gate-checked. No problem with that.