Reload this Page >

anyone tried agritourismo?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2000, 06:31 AM
Carol Soules

I am planning ot book 6 nights at a farm in Tuscany through agritourismo. Has anyone done this? Is it reliable? Has anyone seen or heard of the farm LaCostaglia in Pistoia?

Old May 3rd, 2000, 04:27 AM
Dawn

I have never done this either but have found charming looking farm B&B's in karen brown's guides (www.karenbrown.com) or check out your local bookstore and hang out and read it. Where in Tuscany are you staying? We have booked a room for 2 nights at a farm house outside of Pienza - Le Traverse (I don't remember the web site off hand but you can do a search-they are also in Karen Brown's book) When I called them the owner was so friendly!! We are also staying at another farm in Todi in Umbria from her book. Hope this helps!

Old May 3rd, 2000, 06:25 AM
anne

Last year we stayed in an agriturismo near Montepulciano, and loved it. Can't wait to do so again. Although I'm not familiar with La Costaglia, I am familiar with the concept, and highly recommend it.

Old Sep 10th, 2000, 08:04 PM
Amy

I've heard of La Costaglia through the website www.Tuscany.net <BR>I am considering booking through them but am also wondering if this site is reliable. Did you book with them. When are you planning to go?

Old Sep 11th, 2000, 06:34 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Carol, There are 1200 farm rentals in <BR>Tuscany and the key is location. The <BR>Pistoria location would not be my pick. <BR>Decide what part of Tuscany you want to <BR>see most and start there. Let me know if <BR>you need help deciding.

Old Sep 11th, 2000, 08:42 AM
lydia

Have just had our first experience of a agriturismo stay in Piemonte, so hope this helps! Ours was a tall, elegant building, probably 18C, just on the edge of a village with stunning views. Money had been spent on some aspects of decor eg. modern bathrooms and pretty painted doors but other things were left unrestored eg. peeling window shutters, worn stone floors. Our room was huge, with a beautiful frescoed ceiling and gorgeous furniture but there was a large patch of mould on one of the walls and the mattress on the bed was from another era! Breakfast was served in the simple dining-room, consisting of homemade bread and biscuits, caffelatte and wonderful homemade jam. This is only one example of agriturismo, and they probably vary alot, but in general I think one must accept that it is NOT hotel accommodation and the benefits are very low prices and a taste of true Italian life.

Old Sep 11th, 2000, 10:52 AM
jan

We booked ad villa through Tuscany.net but don't go til October. Ironically I had read a book about Villas and wrote down the names of the ones that looked really nice, clean, and different. We are staying at the Castle de Bibbione in San Casciano Val di Pesa about 10 mile out of Florence in Chianti. The pictures I saw look great and the Castle is owned by the original family-the-Machiavelli, and the daughter has decorated with antiques ets. It is hard to book a reservation close to departure as they do fill up early with their various apartments etc. We are paying 1,000,000 IL or $447 USD,for 7 nights with a pullman kitchen.Check it out it out on the Tuscany.net website.I'll let you know when we get back, but so far no problems and they respond quickly to emails.

Old Sep 14th, 2000, 03:44 AM
Nigel Doran

Agriturismo is getting more and more popular with the Italians. <BR>I have just returned from a converted farmhouse/homestead which stood in spledid isolation on the top of a hill, 5 km up a gravel road from a small place called Montelpulciano d'Arbia, 12 km south of Siena. <BR>It had a pool, was well lit and well maintained and was divided into 8 or so large, self-contained flats with beds, bathroom, dining area and cooking facilities etc. It also had an outdoor table and chair set - perfect for enjoying the chianti and prosciutto of an afternoon. <BR>It was self-catering and had a man pop by every day between 10 and 11 and had a weekly full clean. There was a pay phone but no phone in the flats and no t v. There was a representative of the holiday firm (Crystal in the U K) who came by twice a week and whose mobile number we had. <BR>It was great. Great location, meaning we could see a lot of the local countryside and could visit Siena in the evening to eat if we wanted to eat out. <BR>This kind of villa holiday is very popular with British and German people. <BR>Basically, Crystal hires out the venues for a season from their Italian owners. Other agriturismo places might be privately owned and be run on a hotel type basis. <BR>If you want to interact with the locals and have freedom of movement and not stay in a typical hotel environment, it could be for you. Why not do a search for Italian villas and see if that would suit you too, if you fancy the idea of self catering. <BR>I would recommed the area where we were - near Asciano, south of Siena. Beautiful countryside (lots of hares, rabbits, deer etc!)

Old Sep 14th, 2000, 06:16 AM
betsy

Hi Nigel <BR> <BR>We are planning our second agriturismo experience for Oct. 2001 and would like to stay in the area around Asciano also. I just did a Google search on Montepulciano d'Arbia which turned up nothing. Do you know if there's a web site? <BR> <BR>Thanks

Old Sep 14th, 2000, 09:43 PM
margaret

I stayed in a place in Canelli a couple of years ago through karen Brown's book and it was great. We are thinking of staying, once again through her book at a place in the Veneto, Barbarano ,Il Castello. Has anyone been there at all?

Old Sep 15th, 2000, 02:36 AM
Nigel Doran

Try www.crystalholidays.co.uk. (there might be a hyphen between crystal and holidays.) That is the company I rented the villa from. I M H O it was expensive as we did not need the flight that could have gone with it, so don't get too freaked by the prices. <BR>I'll try to find out more re that specific area.