Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Desperately Seeking Direction for trip to London/Paris

Old Sep 13th, 2000, 08:32 AM
Kelly

My husband & I leave for London & Paris in two & a half weeks and really have made no plans. This isn't too unusual for us, as he works for an airline and we fly standby. Therefore we are usually reluctant to make plans until we are pretty sure we'll make the flight. However this is our first time to Europe. I would like recommendations on hotels/ B&B's in London & Paris- clean sheets and a decent location are about all we require since we don't plan to spend much time in our room. I'd also like to know which sites are must sees in each city. We don't want to go somewhere that really isn't worth it thus wasting our time. We will be over there for about 10 days dividing our time between the two cities. Any info you can provide on riding the Eurostar (ie getting tickets) would be great.
Thanks for your time!

Old Sep 14th, 2000, 10:21 AM
pdv28

Kelly,

I have been to neither before. So I can't give you much personal experience, however I can give you the website for eurostar (www.eurostar.com) and they have info on purchase. Also, you can buy point-to-point tickets online from the French Rail site: (www.sncf.com). (just scroll down to bottom for english portion, go to "planning your trip" and then to "booking and fares". Then you can type in departure and arrival cities and it will show you fare info, times, etc...

Hope this helps!
Patricia

Old Sep 14th, 2000, 12:05 PM
amg

Kelley,

I would recommend that you go to your public library and see what books they have on London and Paris and determine what book format you like best. Then just buy the book you like best to take with you or foto copy the pages you need so you can toss them as you travel.

I have used Insight guides, fodors and Rick Steve on past trips which are all good, but you need to see which style works best for you.

Rick Steves and Cheap sleeps have very good recommendations on hotel in the budget price catagories.

See if you can get the search engine to work there are many responses to the question you have asked.

Here are some web sites that may help.
http://www.karenbrown.com/
http://www.ricksteves.com/
http://www.visiteurope.com/
http://www.raileurope.com/us/

Good Luck planning and have a great trip!
Aileen

Old Sep 14th, 2000, 12:33 PM
France Newbie

Kelly,

My wife and I stayed at this place called "Hotel De Turrenne" (I apologize in advance for my horrible spelling). It is a two star hotel right next to Ecole Militare, the Eiffle Tower (5 Minutes walk), and the metro (2 Minutes walk).

The hotel was clean and is in a VERY beautiful part of Paris (7th). I signed up through the Internet and since I don't speak a word of French, I was worried about the "rip-off" factor in a foreign country. Luckily, the hotel staff was very nice and professional (although their English wasn't perfect). For the price ($60-$70), I'd go there again in a heartbeat.

Old Sep 15th, 2000, 06:02 AM
Kris

Kelly, I think I just responded to another of your posts re: hotels. I should have realized that one of you worked for an airline. I just saw another post inquiring about the limited hotel availability during the first week of October, you never know what's going to be in town that might limit your selection/drive the prices up.

We just stayed at the Hotel Muguet in Paris (www. hotelmuguet.com). We enjoyed our stay there, it was close to a metro line and the rooms were quite nice for 600FF per night (around $80US).

Knowing your personal preferences would help with what you should see. I enjoy history and would recommend the Tower of London, a side trip to either Hampton Court or Windsor Castle and a visit to Westminster Abbey If you enjoy theatre, check out the 1/2 price ticket booth in Leicester Square, the official booth, which had lots of availability on our recent trip, is a free standing building in the middle of the square.

I also enjoy seeing art museums; in Paris I prefer the Musee d'Orsay to the Louvre, mostly because of the vast collection of impressionist art. I'd also recommend looking into a museum pass, practically everything in Paris is covered and you get to skip the lines. We enjoyed going to the top of Notre Dame to see the gargoyles; a visit to Saint Chappelle, a beautiful stained glass chapel; Versailles, the Rodin Museum, a boat ride on the Seine, a visit to the top of the Arc de Triomphe.

And a word about the Eurostar-on our last trip we decided to book when we got there and tried to leave on a weekday and it was incredibly expensive. Weekend rates were much better and sometimes they have promotions for weekend travel where it seemed the round trip was cheaper than a one way. We ended up on an overnight bus instead which was a big mistake as I got no sleep-they wake you up to put you on the ferry and then again when you get off the ferry. I think we also found it was cheaper to go to the travel agent at the train station than to the Eurostar desk, they might also be able to find you a cheap flight instead.