Reload this Page >

Anyone Out There Done It? - Renewing Wedding Vows in England

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2001, 01:56 PM
Mavis

My husband and I will celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary in England and France next year and would like to renew our vows while we are in England. Has anyone out there done it?

Old Sep 28th, 2001, 04:13 AM
Joni

Be careful - you can't just go and get married anywhere in this country. Your choices are either a registry office (city hall), a church (must be booked in advance, and many are reluctant to take on non-regulars) or a SMALL list of government-approved places. I would look at the English Tourist Board website, or the English equivalent of Brides, or one of those mags.

Old Sep 28th, 2001, 04:22 AM
Joni

http://www.bridesuk.net/ <BR> <BR>This looks like a perfect one-stop source for UK weddings, and you can even e mail the editors (Brides magazine) with your question.

Old Sep 28th, 2001, 04:31 AM
Joanne

Since a renewal of wedding vows is a symbolic ceremony, not a legal one in any sense, I assume you could have it done anywhere, by anyone who was willing. Why not ask your pastor (rabbi, whatever) to help you make an appropriate connection overseas.

Old Sep 28th, 2001, 04:41 AM
Joni

Believe me, as someone who lives here, I think I may be right (and will thrilled if I'm not.) Best not to take chances - definitely check out that Conde Nast site - it looks great, too, and there is a chat forum for these sorts of SOS questions. No, Idon't work for Conde Nast!

Old Sep 28th, 2001, 05:02 AM
Joanne

Joni, what "chances" would they possibly be taking? What would be the problem with ME volunteering to conduct it for them in a park? They aren't getting married, they're just re-enacting their marriage ceremony. I don't understand how the legal system could have any interest in it.

Old Sep 28th, 2001, 05:12 AM
Joni

I'm just suggesting they check it out and be sure. I'm sorry I ever said anything, it was meant to help avoid disappointment, and make sure the day goes well. Nothing wrong with being forarmed and forewarned. Whatever.

Old Sep 28th, 2001, 05:13 AM
Alexander

As a parish priest in England, I do get asked a lot from couples wanting to renew their vows, whether they were married in church or not. I try to be as accommodating as possible, but clearly I need prior notification. A couple of weeks' notice would be fine, either by phone, e-mail or letter. It would be a courtesy to phone the priest once you arrive here to reconfirm the arrangement. Perhaps you can ask a friend here about a suitable church? Most priests and ministers will be pleased to help, I am sure. <BR>As it's not a marriage service, no legal or church formalities are needed. Most churches would welcome a small donation, however!

Old Sep 28th, 2001, 06:38 AM
Joanne

Joni, I'm sorry that you were offended by the tone of my messages, I didn't mean it that way. I really was just curious about what you might have in mind. Sorry.

Old Sep 28th, 2001, 06:50 AM
s.fowler

Thanks Alexander! We renewed our vows here in the States -- but this thread has given me an idea for the next time we are in England near an anniversary. We even have a small church in Canterbury where we are known And the donation idea is a good one. <BR> <BR>What was funny about our renewal is that the priest gave us slips of paper with the additional words we would need as we were kneeling at the rail -- and in unison my husband and I whipped out our reading glasses -- we all cracked up -- what a difference 10 years can make at our time in life

Old Sep 28th, 2001, 10:52 AM
Mavis

Thanks for the great advice and much appreciated warnings about planning ahead. I've actually been in touch with the people at Sudeley Castle and they have been very accommodating about using a part of the grounds/Castle and will arrange a champagne reception for us (although so far there will only be four of us - any Fodorite want a free glass of champagne in the Cotswolds next May?). I love all your ideas from having a friend help us to a member of the clergy. This may be rude to ask but if you're not Anglican, would a vicar marry you? I'm a very spiritual person but not necessarily a regular church-going person of any persuasion.

Old Sep 28th, 2001, 12:04 PM
Alexander

Mavis, as an Anglican priest, by law we are obliged to marry anyone who is not otherwise prohibited: already married, within prohibited degree, under age (18, or 16 with parental consent). Whether you are churchgoers or not doesn't come into it, though few adherents of other faiths would want to be married in church. As the Established Church, the local vicar takes on the role of state registrar to ensure all formalities are adhered to and, after the service, enters details in marriage registers to make the union official and binding. Normally one of you need to be resident in the parish for at least 3 weeks while the banns are called. In case of US citizens, IIRC marriages usually have to be by licence obtained from the diocese, or it will not be recognised by US authorities. Residence requirement still applies. You need to talk to a local priest in good time to ensure all the requirements are met. They aren't as arduous as they seem, provided one of you spend some time in England to see to them beforehand.

Old Sep 28th, 2001, 02:42 PM
Joanne

Oh, Mavis, Sudeley would be a wonderful setting! Did you know that they have a group of self-catering cottages on the grounds?

Old Sep 29th, 2001, 11:43 AM
Mavis

Thanks again for all your help. Alexander thank you for your expert advice, and Joni for your warnings. Joanne - I have investigated cottages at Sudeley, sound lovely. Have also discovered a classic car hire company near Banbury that will pick us up in a chauffeured Rolls. For anyone interested: http://www.banbury-cross.co.uk/somet...gnew/index.htm <BR>also a web site with everything for weddings: <BR>www.wedding-service.co.uk/gloucest.htm <BR>and a site with rules and regulations for getting married in England: <BR>www.wedding-service.co.uk/marriage.htm <BR>Will let you know how it all goes. <BR>