Anyone know of a good decongestant?

Old Sep 2nd, 2001, 11:27 PM
Ann

Anyone know of a good decongestant?

I'll be traveling abroad in a week or so, and I've been having problems with getting a sinus infection very easily recently. My doctor recommended that I take sudafed before my flight. But, sudafed tends to make me jumpy, sleepless, and "medicated". Does anyone know of a decongestant that doesn't have caffenine? <BR>

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 02:39 AM
xxxx

I have found Non Drowsy Drixolal To work best you can get the store brand knock off which is cheaper and is the same pill in a diffrent package ex CVS brand is same as Drixoral they last 12 hours

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 03:43 AM
Kavey

I do not leave my house without my Olbas Oil, a natural essential oils decongestant... <BR> <BR>There might be info on the web on the contents, I cant read the bottle in my bag, the label has worn off. <BR> <BR>You dont take any of it you just smell it... <BR> <BR>Kavey

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 03:55 AM
JOdy

I have high boold presure and cannot take sudafed or any other product with pseudoephedrine in it. Unfortuantely almost all the over the counter decongstants contain it. It also wires me up to the ceiling! I have been using a plain old Vick's Inhaler , works fine with no systemic side effects. Or you could try something like Afrin

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 07:08 AM
Flagal

Decongestants constrict the blood vessels in your head-- thats how they work-I cannot use them-My neurologist gave me a new spray it is a presctiption that works great. Its called Astenlin --The only down side is that it has a rather bitter taste so just have something to drink after using it.

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 08:12 AM
sally

Hi Ann: I, too, am a victim of frequent sinus infections. I found that keeping my sinuses from drying out works wonders. Pick up a bottle (spray) that is called Ocean Spray from the drug store, and use to keep your nasal passages moist. I have also used echinacea, an herb, that is supposed to boost the immune system, along with vitamin C. Above all, practice frequent handwashing to prevent the transmission of infections. Good luck.

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 10:46 AM
anna

The only systemic decongestant available by prescription or over the counter is pseudoephedrine, since phenylpropanolamine was taken off the market. Everything on the shelf at the pharmacy that says decongestant on it is pseudoephedrine. Decongestant nasal sprays such as Afrin or neosynephrine can be used for brief, intermittent periods, not exceeding three days, or you will begin to develop "rebound congestion" when the spray wears off, and then you will be "hooked" on it.

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 11:25 AM
feedMe

Ann, <BR>I have same prob, esp. when flying. <BR>This doesn't cure, but works for me as well as Sudafed: go to CVS, order a bottle of Ponaris nasal emollient. Just use about 5 drops. Then take an hourly sniff of eucalyptus oil (Aura Cacia brand is great) off a kleenex, or put a few drops in hot water. <BR>My ENT gave me a nasal spray of an antibiotic and it killed the sinus infection.... <BR>To your health!

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 11:43 AM
julie

Ann- try Correcidin HB-it is a good cold/sinus med formulated for peopl with high blood pressure. I have found it very effective while flying and on vacation.Good luck.

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 01:43 PM
Flgal

Afrin has a rebound effect and is not the same thing as Astenlin which is a nasal antihistimine--It is recommended for people with heart problems and you can take it as needed--no rebound--- Its new

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 06:38 PM
Irene

Your frequent sinus infections may be due to allergies. I started getting sinus infections after moving to northwestern NY state,with a different climate than NYC. The best treatment is prevention- which for me is using Flonase, a prescription nasal spray which prevents nasal membrane irritation.

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 08:20 AM
feeMe

Oh! <BR>When I said, 'put a few drops of eucalyptus oil in hot water', I meant, <BR>inhale the steam...not to drink it!

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 08:39 AM
Margot

Hi, Ann. I also think you should try Ocean Spray drops. I suffer from frequent sinus infections, also, and when I was pregnant the doctor told me to use Ocean Spray a few times a day to keep my passages moist. It really did help. <BR> <BR>Before I was pregnant, my doctor prescribed Nasonex - I was taking a trip to Germany and felt "on the verge" of an infection. It really kept my sinuses clear throughout the trip. <BR> <BR>And, you probably already know this, but try to drink as much water as you can before and during your flight, and avoid coffee. <BR> <BR>Good luck - sinus infections can really make life miserable.