Reload this Page >

10 day ski trip, where to go?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 03:12 PM
Paul

I would like to take a ski to trip to Europe this winter. I have always been intrigued by Zermatt. Anyone have some insights for me? I am a single 34 y/o guy with Expert skills. Don't mind skiing some fast cruisers though. I could care less about 5 star hotels or shopping. Apres ski and a little jacuzzi time is important though. Thanks.

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 03:18 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Paul, Do a search and check out the Val Gardena in the Dolomites. Cheaper than Zermatt and more variety.

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 04:29 AM
Mika

For Expert skiers the Dolomites are too easy-but absolutely beautiful. I recommend Corvara. Have a look at: http://www.dolomitisuperski.net/Default.asp?L=3 <BR>For Apres Ski the best one is Ischgl,(Austria) but you are too old. Zermatt is phantastic for skiers, but the apres skiing?????

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 06:14 AM
John

Hi Paul: <BR> <BR>Been to a few resorts in Europe myself <BR> <BR>Zermatt: <BR> very unique! No cars, great scenery <BR>Swiss effeciency, Swiss stuffyness! <BR>Brits/Aussies are the only friendlies in town! <BR>Great day trip over into Italy (Cervinia) <BR> <BR>Lech,Zurs St.Anton: <BR>Great skiing <BR>Beautiful town (Lech) <BR>Party town (St. Anton) <BR>Good intermediate and expert skiing <BR> <BR>Kitzbuehl: <BR>Beautiful town <BR>good skiing (if snow is good!!) <BR>Party town <BR> <BR>Courmayeur Italy: <BR>Lovely town <BR>Great food <BR>great value <BR>fun people <BR>intermediate skiing trails <BR>Great day trip over into France across the 'Valley Blanche" (although I think that it might be closed because of the return "Tunnel" is still closed) <BR> <BR>I suggest you team up with a ski group that way you will have some skiing companions to join in the fun with. I have been looking myself at a group called "Morningstar Ski Club" I have never used them but they have a very intriquing web site (do a search for Morningstar) <BR>JOHN <BR>

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 08:00 AM
BTilke

Another vote for Lech. Ski-mad Austrians will tell you it's the best place to ski. Has pretty consistent snow coverage. Gorgeous town, not stuffy, good food. Lech is more upscale than nearby St. Anton. Take a look at www.lechaustria.com <BR>BTilke

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 09:03 AM
Paul

Mika, <BR>Try telling Alberto Tomba that he is too old for Apres Ski! I've recently been told that I look like I'm in my mid 20s. See you in the jacuzzi... <BR> <BR>Thanks everyone for the ideas. How about France? <BR>pg

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 09:36 AM
Mariarosa

Hi! This question is for John (jholland) - I would love to ski in Courmayeur, but I'm having a hard time finding out information on reaching Courmayeur from nearby airports (Milan, Geneva, Turin) using public transportation. Can you (or anyone else out there) offer any advice? Thanks!

Old Sep 1st, 2001, 03:22 AM
John

Hi Mariarosa: <BR> <BR>Sorry, I can not help on public transportation to Courmayeur. We had rental cars out of Milan. Try contacting Aosta Tourist Office for suggestions. I believe the area became a bit more isolated (thats a "good thing") since the Tunnel between France and Italy is still not open! <BR>John

Old Sep 1st, 2001, 04:40 AM
Beth

Check out Mirabel, France.

Old Sep 1st, 2001, 06:02 AM
Steve James

Hi Mariarosa, <BR> <BR>Still planning? Good luck with Courmayeur. Until the Mont Blanc tunnel reopens I think the nearest airport is Turin. <BR> <BR>There is one direct bus Turin-Courmayeur leaving Turin at 07.30, arriving Courmayeur 10.30, - according to www.italybus. <BR>If you can't make that, the alternatives are via Aosta. You can also get as far as Aosta by train, - but the bus is much quicker. <BR> <BR>For timetables see <BR>www.italybus.it <BR> <BR>Happy skiing! <BR>Let me know if I can be of more help ... <BR> <BR>Steve <BR>

Old Sep 1st, 2001, 03:45 PM
sally

Off topic, but did anyone know that the 2006 winter olympics are in Turin?? They are really sprucing up the area to get ready for the throngs in 5 years. I'm assuming they will be using Cervinia, which is the 'other' side of Zermatt

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 09:15 AM
Paul

What about Val d'Isere? Sorry about the spelling.