Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Anyone have ideas for finding employment in Italy with an American passport?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15th, 2002, 07:14 AM
Rebecca

Looks like lay offs are coming to my job and I am thinking it is time to see about working in Italy. A long time dream of mine, was wondering where I should look for ideas. Would also consider attending graduate school here. Ok I KNOW THIS IS PIE IN THE SKY. It's just that I love pie!!! Other countries are not out of the question.<BR><BR>Maybe some could suggest a website or book that they found helpful. I am not looking for nanny positions (done it London) but something I can learn from. Will consider teach English in a pinch.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 12:02 AM
jt

Assuming you are US passport, aren't there dire legal obstacles, unless you do something informal over the web or something? You might snoop over help wanted ads on US military bases in Italy (some not bad locations), but when I did this it looked like they wouldn't assist in getting work visas.<BR><BR>There are some humerous books by UK folks moving to and working in Italy. They depict a bizarre legal environment with endless catch-22's even for the native born. Thus everyone has to be gracious to each other or else risk being vengefully charged with various unavoidable violations, it seems.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 04:11 AM
Your mother

Find a handsome Italian man, get married and everything will be much easier.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 04:49 AM
But Then

you have oh so wonderful Italian in-laws to put up with, who think your daughter isn't good enough for their ragazzo.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 07:38 AM
Rebecca

Mother how did you know my alternative plan?<BR><BR>But than that's life: you have not seen many Italian men to have that picture in your head.<BR>Moma Mia!!!<BR><BR>Seriously though anyone else have ideas on long term apartments.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 07:39 AM
Rebecca

or info on employment

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 07:49 AM
Alice Twain

Te only way (mor or less) to get employment in Italy with little or no references or a well-defined profession is through a temprary job society such as Manpower. The point is that this kind of job will not allow you, afaik, to get a permesso di soggiorno (= green card), which is required to live and work in Italy. On the other hand, if you decide to attend school in Italy you will be able to get a student's permeso di soggiorno, which will also allow you to legally work for 20 hours per week (and illegally for more hours ^_^), while you also learn Italian (which is essential to work in Italy anyhow). In any case, knowing what you can do and what have been your previous experiences would be helpful.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 07:59 AM
Rebecca

Hi Alice my background is pretty broad.<BR><BR>I have a BA in Political Science, I worked as a teacher (k-1), cook, assistant on the buy side of the financial industry. Why school looks inevitable for me.<BR><BR>I actually had a lot of temp experience before during and after teaching. <BR>

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 09:51 AM
Alice Twain

With such a broad background, it really looks like you may consider getting yourself a student permesso di soggiorno, spend one year in school in order to learn a better Italian and work part-time with some temporary agency (which might give you some opportunity to find a steadier job that will allow you to get a workers permesso di soggiorno) and, at the same time, work illegally (all the people do it all the time, do not worry) as a cook or s a teacher or something like that for rounding out your income. For schooling, you might consider trying to get yourself enrolled in some public school, wich are almost free, even though you will be mixed with younger people.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 09:53 AM
Alice Twain

School looks inevitable for you because, unless you can already speak the language, you will not find it easy to work in Italy withouth having a good grasp of Italian and, at the same time, with the new (fascist!!!) law on immigration it is easier to get a students permesso di soggiorno than a workers one.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 10:20 AM
CC

Since you have teaching experience, you may want to look into trying to find a job at American schools in Italy. I'm not talking about laguage schools, but there are schools that teach an American curriculum and are mostly made up of children of expats. Here is a list: http://www.state.gov/m/a/os/c1699.htm<BR><BR>It's worth a try. You'll pretty much be limited to working under the table teaching English otherwise, which may even be hard if you do not have an ESL cert. Good luck.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 11:35 AM
Louisa

I've had similar dreams as Rebecca of working and living in Italy. I just graduated with a BSC in Computing Science. Does Italy have any special work permits or relaxed restrictions for high tech workers like Germany and other countries? Just curious and a bit masachistic trying to tempt myself to do the irrisponsible! gt;<BR><BR>Happy travels and good luck!!<BR><BR>Louisa

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 11:35 AM
mpprh

Hi<BR><BR>Its not easy.<BR>Check out this website :<BR><BR>http://www.escapeartist.com/<BR><BR>Bon chance<BR><BR>Peter<BR>currently living in his 4th country<BR>http://tlp.netfirms.com<BR><BR>

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 11:58 AM
Jeanne

I have a similar fantasy. Maybe all us Italiano-wannabees should get a villa in Tuscany and establish our own run-away residence? But Rebecca, try also looking at www.monster.com in their global jobs section. There were over 5000 posted for Europe and even a couple for teaching English.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 03:07 AM
Alice Twain

Louise:<BR><BR>Italy exports a large nummber of high tech workers and scientists. It is not that we do not need them too, it is just thst Italian governments have no habit of investing on technology or science, therefore itlaian high tech experts and Italian scientists are forced to expatriate to find a job. 8-(((

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 05:35 AM
VickiV

Try searching for civilian jobs through the Department of Defense. They have a lot in Europe, especially if you'd be willing to teach. I think they advertise on usjobs.com.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 05:57 AM
Rebecca

This is such an interesting thread.<BR><BR>Thanks everyone

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 06:02 AM
Kate

www.usajobs.opm.gov check it out.