Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Anyone have experience with hiring a nanny while in Italy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2005, 04:03 AM
awbaker

We cannot bring our nanny with us to Italy due to her fears of her visa being rejected when trying to reenter the U.S. We COULD bring another babysitter we sometimes use (I know she is crossing her fingers that we do!!), BUT I think I would rather hire an Italian nanny in case (God forbid) there was an emergency.

I have found one service, Ciao Bambino, which has a nanny referral service for American travelers to Italy. Has anyone used this company?

Or, does anyone have any experience with hiring a nanny or babysitter while in Italy -- St. Cirq, Huitres, anyone?

Old Jan 24th, 2005, 04:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you want her for the entire trip or partial?
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 04:24 AM
awbaker

We would want her for 2 weeks in Tuscany -- one week in Lucca AND one week in Montepulciano.

Old Jan 24th, 2005, 08:49 AM

Are you staying in hotels ? We've stayed in hotels with friends who have a toddler and the hotels have arranged babysitters - I think they normally have an arrangement with a local agency.
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 08:59 AM
awbaker

No, we are staying in apartments both places. One of the owners offered us his own nanny for a few hours in the evenings, but I think we might want someone full-time.

Old Jan 24th, 2005, 10:10 AM

I will volunteer. I make an excellent nanny.

--Marv
PS: if you bring your babysitter from home, and have an emergency, there will be plenty of people to help you, so don't let that stop you.
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 10:53 AM
awbaker

Thanks, Marv!! I'll keep you in mind!!

My husband and I thought it might be better to have an italian-speaking babysitter in the event of an emergency, but you are probably right that our own babysitter would be sufficient. I'll still consider taking her.

Old Jan 24th, 2005, 11:10 AM

if there is an emergency, do you speak Italian? Could the nanny communicate with you? Bring someone you're- well, really your child is comfortable with.
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 11:10 AM

hi, awbaker:

Wish I could help you but I never had the luxury of a nanny on vacation. Regarding language, I think you'd probably want a bi-lingual nanny, though. One who just speaks Italian would be great in an emergency, but not so good at dealing with you or the kids. One who just speaks English might be out of her league in certain emergency situations. Now, I speak excellent English and decent Italian, so if you're in a bind.......
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 11:13 AM

I know someone who's perfect for the job:
www.patrickthenanny.com
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 11:42 AM
awbaker

You guys are so generous!!

We have had several family members offer to do the job as well, but that gets awkward!

I have been taking Italian for a few months, but I am by NO MEANS fluent, so I'd need to find someone who speaks English as well. I'll contact Ciao Bambino & see what they say.

I'll also contact the owners again -- if we could just have someone 2-3 hours/day to give us a break, I'd be a very happy madre e moglie!

Old Jan 25th, 2005, 08:23 AM

Hi awbaker: I have run into the same problem where I have needed someone to watch my little girl.

Last year, I had an important meeting with an archaeological company in Rome and couldn't possibly bring along my (then) 3 year old. The hotel I stayed at helped me out in a pinch, turns out it was the nonna (grandma) of the front desk clerk (I had been there 1 week, so not total strangers with the staff!) and she was watching her grandchildren during the day at her home, very close to the hotel. I went over to meet her prior and my daughter liked the kids. My child speaks Italian so she had no problem communicating with the other children. I offered to pay the nonna something for the 2 hours, but she wouldn't have it. I ended up buying her a large bouquet of flowers, and bringing back a bottle of nice wine for their evening dinner.

Alternatively, dependent on how well your child gets along without you (mine is "Miss independent&quot, you might look into an afternoon at a local montessori school or preschool in town. Lucca is wonderful, the area is so safe.

I think you should definitely call that Ciao Bambino nanny service and see their options in Lucca and Montepulciano areas. I am sure you will find a solution for your child. Let me know what you decide!
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 09:01 AM

Maybe for peace of mind you could bring someone along who you trust and who your child knows well, to avoid an upset little one and thus an upset parent(s), I know there are preschool services offered in different places or daycares - it would also depend on how your child would take to a new place, new people and a new language?
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 04:09 AM
awbaker

I just wanted to give an update on my situation --

I just hired a nice, young kindergarten teacher to travel with us. I met her through my italian class in NYC, and she has good references as a teacher and babysitter. It seems to be a win-win situation for both of us -- we want a babysitter and she loves and wants to go to Italy. Plus, she speaks a little italian and understands quite a bit since her father is Italian.

We just hope that she is easy to live with since we'll all be traveling together for over 2 weeks!!

Old Feb 28th, 2005, 10:16 AM

awbaker, that sounds like a "win,win" situation. Have a beautiful trip!
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 09:48 PM

Goodluck awbaker, sounds like you found a nice solution to your dilemma. Lucky gal, your kindergarten teacher you found, to be invited along to Italy as an au pair - is her airfare included in her cost?
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 10:07 PM
lyb

I'm sorry but I have to ask....have you thought of spending time with your children yourself? If for some reason you don't want to do it at home, how about doing it on vacation? I'm not really not clear as to why you need a nanny while on vacation?
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 02:05 AM

I have to admit I had thought the same myself. Why bother having kids ?
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 03:36 AM
awbaker

And there are many posters who say you shouldn't travel with young children, as well.

"Why bother having kids ?" that seems a bit nasty, caroline...

I suppose we would like to have a babysitter with us because we don't want to leave them back home with the grandparents this year -- we want our children to start seeing the world. AND, I didn't like being apart from them last year.

BUT traveling with a four and two year old can be difficult -- I've done it twice this year already. They travel well, but on both of our other trips, we wished that we could get out for a few hours in the evening. If we were staying in a hotel the entire time, I'm sure we would have just used the hotel babysitting services a few times for this purpose BUT we are staying in vacation rentals instead.

It will also be heavenly to go into a museum and know that if (or when!) our sons have had enough, we will have someone who can take them outside to play. Forgive me for wanting to show my kids the world AND have us all enjoy ourselves at the same time.

Huitres -- my husband travels often on business so we have enough FF miles for all of us AND the teacher! Our rentals were already large enough for an extra person, so we agreed to pay for her food, transportation (trains/rental car) and sightseeing costs when she is with us. In return, she will babysit in the evenings OR help us on longer daytrips with the boys. It really works out well for both of us -- we get a few hours alone many days AND she gets a trip to Italy. AND, most importantly, I get to show my boys a country that is a new love of mine (and feel relaxed while doing it.)

Old Mar 1st, 2005, 07:25 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Awbaker, I think that sounds like a wonderful way to travel with children. A way to make sure that everyone is having fun while still being able to spend lots of time together. Have a great trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -