Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Anyone gone to Amsterdam by overnight coach?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2007, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

(I posted this under a different title earlier, got to thinking it might have been too restrictive...)

We’re leaving Saturday for two weeks in England, so I’ve been posting a lot of questions…I’m wanting to go to Amsterdam for a couple of days. Flights are reasonable from Norwich, and I have friends near there, but there’s the hassle of getting to the airport (my friends don’t drive), being early, having to get into town, yadda-yadda.

While discussing this with a friend of mine he suggested taking a coach via Eurolines Express out of Victoria London (which would also be easy for us) and traveling basically all night (the coaches he mentioned leave fairly late in the evening.) Why? The trip cost only £18, he arrives near city center in the morning, and he hasn’t had to pay for a hotel because he slept while traveling. Besides being cheap he thinks this is very efficient. Has anyone tried it? He claims the coaches are roomy, have sound systems, and reasonably nice bathrooms on board. I don’t tend to sleep well while in transit, have never slept on a plane in my life and find it very hard to fall asleep in a car, but he contends that Eurolines’ buses are surprisingly comfy.

Your experiences, please.
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 11:02 AM

Yes i believe that to be true - i've seen these buses and heard that about them too. I rode one on that route ages ago and it was OK.

But why not from Norwich just go to nearby Harwich and take the speedy boats to Hook of Holland then from the dock train to Amsterdam. These tickets can be surprisingly cheap. Daily boats.
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 11:09 AM

Eurolines has a Amsterdam terminal at the Amsterdam Amstel train station, which has a metro, trains and trams running from it to anywhere in the city.
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Wow, this is why I love Fodors, good information…tell me PalenQ, have you done the boats, what’s it like, and what do you consider “surprisingly cheap?” How long is the trip?
I’m intrigued and curious for any other info you can provide…for instance, we’ll be staying in Gorleston-On-Sea (great Yarmouth) is Harwich closer to there than Norwich? I’m sure I could travel by bus to Harwich…I’ll do a Google© search for boats, do you know the names of the company(s)? Thanks again, so much…I’m excited to think of the boat, I’ve never traveled on a boat in my life…
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 11:40 AM
yk

I've done it before, but that was over a decade ago. It was awful back then - smoking was allowed on the coach. Also, we had to get off at Dover to cross the Chunnel by boat. Basically, yes, I saved $ because it was cheap and I didn't have to pay for 1 night's hotel, but I hardly slept.

But, things may have changed a lot since 13 years ago!
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 11:54 AM

Yes i have done the Hook-Harwich boat but not recently after they have put on newer faster boats.

Google Stena Line which runs the HSS fast ferries on the route

generally lv Harwich 10:40 ar Hook 15:20 (losing an hour on the watch due to crossing time zone - actual crossing is 3 h 40 min)

or leave at 19:20 ar Hook 23:55 - not a good time to arrive in Amsterdam well after midnight so do earlier one.

Return times boats leave Hook at 7:20am and 16:00

There may also be an overnight boat, a slower car ferry on the route.

And trains take about 1.5 hrs from Hook of Holland (near Rotterdam and Den Hague) to Amsterdam Centraal station)

STENA Line UK phone: 08705 70 70 70 - don't dial first 0 if calling from outside UK.

i've seen very cheap specials on this connection but just check the web site.

You can easily reach Harwich from Great Yarborough by train via Norwich and probably quicker by buses but i have no info on that - it's not too far away.

Otherwise you have to pay to get to Victoria Station and then endure the all-night bus ride.
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 01:09 PM

Yes!! The boats are great it's like a mini cruise
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 11:27 PM

The cheap coach trips will go over on the ferry too. Weigh up the costs/time and work out which you want to do.

I've done the Amsterdam coach a couple of times. Everyone seemed to sleep ok. It's not exactly comfortable but it's put-up-with-able. You get to stretch your legs on the ferry.
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 01:04 AM

Nona1 has just pointed out something I thought I remembered, but wasn't sure still applied.

You don't sleep (or try to) all the way. The overnight buses take the ferry, not the Tunnel, and you're not allowed to stay in the bus during the ferry crossing.

So that's a good 2-3 hours out of the bus.
Check whether all overnights still use the ferry, but I'm pretty sure I'm right.