Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Anyone ever taken a trip around the world???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 10:48 AM
dan

I'm considering the voyage of a lifetime... A solo trip, budget/backpacking/hostel/'on a shoestring'-style, around the world leaving from the East Coast of the US. [probably nyc]<BR><BR>The idea just struck me yesterday, actually, but I'm quite taken by the possibility of such an adventure, and would like to hear from anyone who can help with my research on the topic.<BR><BR>I've no idea yet of the cost, the time necessary, or the itinerary... just the initial brainstorm.<BR><BR>Can anyone here help with their insight/experience?

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 11:01 AM
Rex

Seems pretty certain you'll get some responses. And there are a lot of specialized round-the-world fares, along with companies that specialize in selling them. You even get a surprisingly high degree of flexibility, considering their affordable pricing. Like fly "anywhere you want" (well not entirely), as long as you keep moving in the same direction (east-to-west or west-to-east).<BR><BR>Take a look at http://www.airbrokers.com or http://www.airtreks.com - - just to name two examples.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 11:56 AM
tippity-topper

here is one i'd like to hear some answers to.<BR><BR>topping for Dan

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 12:15 PM
John

Airtreks is a good starting place, also be aware that most big international airlines offer RTW fares, typically based on maximum mileage (e.g., more miles required if you're adding Africa or Australia.) These are usually booked as "Y" fares, so you have great flexibility in timimg. Star Alliance (United, SAS, Air NZ et al), for example, has a 3-tier RTW fare, see http://www.star-alliance.com/isroot/...0.htmstructure <BR><BR>Flying is not the only way, though. There are freighters which will carry you around the world (usually stopping at all sorts of interesting places) for about the same cost as flying plus backpacking, but more comfortably. Your flexibility is more limited, obviously, and you need to love the sea, but it is an option. Look at http://www.freighterworld.com/. Some freighter lines still offer "work for passage" arrangements, but it takes some effort to smoke them out. <BR><BR>Don't expect that many countries are going to let you travel gypsy-style. Most will want you to be able to prove that you have enough money to pay for your stay, and a ticket onward, as a condition of letting you in.<BR><BR>Happy planning!

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 01:12 PM
Dan

Thanks for the info on those air ticket consolidator-types.<BR><BR>John, the work-for-passage sounds like an interesting possibility. Actually, one of my goals is to use air travel as little as possible, so my purchasing a round-the-world ticket wouldn't really fit what I'd try to accomplish here. <BR><BR>Ever see the TV show 'Lost'? [I think on NBC, as well as on some cable channel, either TLC or travel channel] They drop teams of two off with very little gear somewhere in the world and tell them "OK, now get to NY." That's almost the sort of traveling I hope to do... basically hitch-hiking, trains here or there [trans-siberian is one I'd imagine I would take]. As far as proving I have the money, I'm sure that wouldn't be a problem, and I plan on securing a handful of visas for key countries beforehand [china, nepal, russia, turkey, etc.]. I'm OK for visas in the EU; it's Asia I'd be more concerned about... <BR>A possible route would be hitching rides from NYC to the west coast, then getting to Asia [most likely by plane] into Tokyo. Traveling south through Japan and heading to Thailand next, then make my way onto the main part of Asia through the Nepal/Tibet area. I may or may not hit India, but would then steer clear of southWestern Asia [for obvious reasons] and enter Russia, heading west until I can work my way into Turkey-- Istanbul to Ephesus, then a ship to the Greek Isles, Italy next and I work my way to far western Europe. From there, I may or may not consider flying to South America and heading up through Mexico. Otherwise, I'd fly to Miami/Orlando, and up the east coast back to the NY/New England. then I'd take a long nap before writing a book. =)<BR><BR>Any other thoughts/suggestions/feedback?

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 01:20 PM
Nancy

Flying around the world, reminds me about how large our world really is. Unlike what everyone trys to tell us!

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 02:13 PM
kelly

what about Africa????

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 02:53 PM
dan

Kelly, I had thought about seeing a few places in Africa, namely South Africa, Kenya, and the west coast from the Ivory Coast area to Morocco [Egypt, as well]. The only thing about this is that the majority of African countries require more substantial documentation for entry; visas are required in most countries in Africa [more than other parts of the world] and various disease testing must be performed and documented, as well, like yellow fever, malaria and HIV. Because of this it's not quite as likely that I will include this area for my voyage, although as I have already said, nothing is set in stone yet. &lt;-- understatement of the day.

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 03:52 PM
kelly

Dan,<BR><BR>I really enjoyed the African countries I have traveled to so far (Morocco, Senegal, Tunisia, and hopefully more soon) so I am going to keep pushing for Africa to be included!<BR><BR>The visas aren't really a problem, I know Egypt, Kenya and others you can get at the airport, and many times you can apply for a visa in a neighboringing country that you are in jsut before. Yes, you do need some jabs and malaria meds, but you can get those just before you leave, then you get an international health certificate to take with you. I don't know of any country that requires an HIV test for tourists, only if you are getting a resident visa. <BR><BR>So this is what I would do... make my way over from the ME to Egypt, fly to Kenya and go south to South Africa, then flying to somewhere like Ghana and working my way back up to Morocco and then Europe.<BR><BR>Just an idea...

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 01:49 PM
Hereyougo

Topper

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 09:57 PM
J. Carson

Ask Bill Clinton. He's been pretty much everywhere. Anyway, I ain't going to anyplace that I've got to take shots or worry about getting malaria or worst.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 04:34 AM
jorge

Airtreks is good but a litle expensive.. I don't know where you are but checking out a british newspaper for RTW (round the world ticks could be usefull) if your in the states they can send the ticks too you and it still would be cheaper then buying them here. an even cheaper option is geting your ticks from Bangkok and recently saw a bangkok-london-ny-bangkok RTW for $900 of course you can make your own itinuary...<BR>NOTE there are tricks in picking where too go too save money lets say you want too check out CAPETOWN South africa, from NYC.. it is cheaper too fly too london then Capetwon as apposed too direct from NYC..<BR><BR>5ip if you choose europe too Africa the cheapest destinations are when you combine former colonie owners too thier former african positions. like Portugual and senigual.<BR><BR>tip. when flying too Asia, Bangkok is your best and cheapest bet..it is a major RTW destination.. and from there you could easally branch off all over Sout east asia<BR><BR>tip.. the kicker is that you get insane amounts of freequent flyer mile too boot..<BR><BR><BR><BR>definatly go too airtreks and mess around with the planner.. I know I have spent days of my life there.<BR><BR>