Anyone ever stay at Durban House?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2007, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't find many reviews on this place, the ones I have found are very old. I did find some people talking about the street/area it is located in as being a bad area.

Anyone have info on this place?

I already reserved the Comfort Inn Granby Row, Durban would be a lot cheaper.
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 06:26 AM
tod

Where is Durban House? Not in Durban, South Africa??
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

Dublin, Ireland

http://www.durban-house.com/index.html
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 09:32 AM
tod

Thanks! I wonder if it's also named after Sir Benjamin D'Urban? It would certainly be a home away from home for me as I lived in Durban South Africa for many years ( and now am only 74km away).
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

Found on Tripadvisor:

"Lower Gardiner Street is not a very nice street in Dublin nor are the immediate areas surrounding it. Just my views!!"

Old Sep 14th, 2007, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Another poster on Tripadvisor:

"have to concur with previous statement.lower gardiner st is near one of the main train stations and like train stations all over the world the area around it is not the safest"

Is anyone familiar with Lower Gardiner Street?

Is it really a bad area?

Both posts on Tripadvisor are from people listed as being from Dublin.

Now I know this is the B&B talking but I contacted them about the area and what I've heard and Stephen from Durban had this to say:

"About the area where the b and b is well i don't know where those people
were staying but this road is like big brother with all the cameras and at
night it is so quiet as well . A lot of people stay here because it is the
main street in Dublin for tourists apart from temple bar which is only 10
min walk from us . Don't worry about anything you will have a great time i
promise you that."
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 07:27 AM

I live in Dublin and would not send my friends and family to stay here. It can get a bit iffy at night and for the same money you can stay in a nicer area. What are they charging?
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 07:29 AM

For the price you can stay at Bewleys in Ballsbridge and its a lovely area. IU think Bewleys has a special of 109. Gardiner street is very busy in the day but a vert inner coty area and not the best at night. Its a cheap accommodation street with lots of Hostels but the B&B's I thik are not worth the money for what you get area wise and facilities and to be next to a rougher neighborhgood.
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

40 Euro per person and 10 Euro to park. As of right now, that comes out to $111 USD for the stay and $14 for parking.

We need parking for our rental car. Parking is what causes the most problems when looking up places. We thought about taking the bus from the airport and then riding back to the airport the next morning to get the rental car but we think that'll be a waste of time having to go back and forth.

I'll take any other suggestions you have for staying in Dublin.

We are only there for one day, arriving Monday morning (10/1). We want to stay near City Centre so that we can walk where ever we want and would probably be walking back to the hotel later at night.

How is the Comfort Inn Granby Row ($153 for stay and parking) area?

I hate that Comfort cannot hold a parking space for a hotel guest. I don't want to get there just to find out there is no parking left.

I'll check Bewley's.

Also looked into Jury's Inn Christchurch ($152 for stay and parking).

Old Sep 14th, 2007, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Just ran across the Days Inn Talbot Street. $109.45 for the stay. Do not know yet if they have parking. How is this area?

www.daysinntalbot.com
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 07:41 AM

Really these are not areas I would reccommend and difficult with a car. Why not stay in A B&B in the south side of the city or Drumcondra. These are very urban streets and a nightmare in traffic with a car if you do not know your way around. I would not let the idea of walking around in town decide the hotel. If you are slightly further put a 5 euro taxi gets you there. These are crummy areas for the money in my opinion. Try looking at B&B's in Donnybrook ir ballsbridge as many will have parking. Its too crazy briniging a car into the city or rent the car after being in the city at Dudget in Ballsbridge or Dan Dooley beside Tata Street Dart station.
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Sio,

Is anywhere within the City Centre decent to stay in? You're not making it sound so good.

We are only in Dublin for one night, so it would be nice just to walk outside of our hotel and make our way around the city.

We are leaning more towards taking a bus from the airport into the city and back to the airport the next morning to get the rental car. Trying to find car parks plus driving into town after the flight might be trouble.

What parts of the city centre are ok to stay in? I'd like to stay in the city for our only night in town.

Dergvale gave me a quote of 75 Euro
www.dergvalehotel.com
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 08:30 AM

Two years ago my wife and I and our adult daughter stayed at the Globetrotters Tourist Hostel on Lower Gardiner Street. Maybe we were lucky, but we felt perfectly safe being in that area.
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

Also looked at:

Jurys Inn Christchurch
Christchurch Place, Dublin 8
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 06:27 AM

Ok yes there are parts of the city fine and in the day its fine but its a rougher area at night It may look ok to you but there are some tough areas surrounding it and junkies at night. i got in a taxi next to clearys on a side street and had to watch to seriously drunk junkies hassling people. I feel bad for them but they were pretty scary and I would walk away if I saw them heading for me. Try also the Mespil hotel on the canal in Ballsbridge and the Hiltin on Charlemont place which both have parking and are walking distance or bus to the centre. Jury's is fine as well and they have parking for a fee. Gardiner street I feel is a no go, poor accommodation for the price and I feel many are rip off merchants for sub standard places. I am sure its not alll but I ended up housing an aussie guy we met our one night years back staying on Gardiner st and was charged 50 punds for a horrible room, no electricity in the room and it was shaneful. My aunt had a B&B at the time outside the city and we moved him there as we were so annoyed that a tourist could be so ripped off. He could not get another place as it was a rugby weekend. I live here so I am just advising where I would put someone visiting.
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the information and assistance.