Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Anyone done a VAT refund at the Zurich Airport?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2010, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a few questions. I will be purchasing a Louis Vuitton purchase in France, however my departing airport home back to the States is in Zurich. How do I claim the VAT refund at the Zurich airport? I have some knowledge that I believe I get in one line to get my form stamped and then get in another line to actually get my refund.

Also, can I actually get my forms stamped in Zurich since Switzerland is not part of the EU? Ahhh!!! I am so confused. OR, do I have to get my forms stamped in France? (they have a higher VAT refund percentage than Swiss)
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 02:32 PM

I think someone on this forum told me a couple of years ago that it is possible to get your VAT refund at Zurich. I had no luck the last time I flew out of there. I was told that I could only get a refund on items purchased in Switzerland. I do hope that has changed. Please post back and let us know. I never depart from ZRH any more just because of that. I usually try to fly back to the states from Nice-so simple!
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 03:50 PM
Original Poster

I am hoping someone replies to this post with the answer.
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

I have an almost 2 hour layover in Amsterdam before continuing on to the States. Perhaps I can get my detaxe forms stamped there?
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 05:58 PM

I do not think you can get your forms stamped in Switzerland for purchases made in the EU.

Your plan to take care of this in Amsterdam might work but if it doesn't, you're probably out of luck.

I was told that the train stations have customs offices, but I've never seen them (and only needed to look a couple of trips). If you are traveling around a lot, you could just check each time you are in one. The customs office may need to see the item for verification, so keep it in your hand luggage.

Will you be in an airport in an EU country between Paris and Zurich, that might be your best option.

I know some stores will take care of all of this for you if your purchase meets a minimum amount. I'm thinking Galleries Lafayette does, but not sure that's where you are making your purchase.

Sorry I'm not more help, but at least this will top your post!
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 05:58 PM

That may work. Where is your first departure of your return? In 2009 I departed Nice but connected at Heathrow. The customs in Nice did the stamp and I mailed the envelope there. I just got a refund at Amsterdam on Thursday. I was at the Delta check-in and I went behind #12 then to the left to customs. To get your cash refund, you take your papers after the customs stamp to gate area E. There is a bank or exchange there that will give you cash. I actually prefer to mail the form in and get credit on my credit card. You get less when you take cash. But if you mail it, be sure that the postage is good. If it is LV, the postage is prepaid, but I have never mailed it outside France.
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Scat and Paris for replying. I think these are my options:

1) Can I get my detaxe forms stamped at a train station?
2) If not, then my departing flight from Zurich has a 2 hour layover in Amsterdam before heading home to the States. I can get my detaxe forms stamped in Amsterdam. Correct?

Paris - I am buying my purse from the Louis Vuitton in Paris. I don't think they take care of the VAT for you???
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

Another question - if I get my detaxe forms stamped in Amsterdam, do I get the France VAT percentage back or the Netherlands? ( I think France is higher)
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 06:21 PM

That should work. If they tell you in Zurich that it's not possible, just do it at AMS, but I think you will need to go outside the secure area. There are information desks in the airport to inquire about the location of customs. I don't think they will have more than one, but it is possible. Ask at LV about the postage mailed from AMS. If there is not enough postage, the envelope will be discarded. LV will have your form entirely filled out, but you still must do the customs and mail back yourself.

I have never found a customs office in a train station.
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

Scatcat - great advice about the postage mailed from AMS. I wouldn't have thought of that. Also, thank you for all your words of wisdom over the last few months. I leave for my trip in one week!
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 06:41 PM

You will get the France amount. It will be entered on the form given to you at LV.
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 07:17 PM

jill-be sure to have your passport with you when you go to LV
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 12:02 AM

As I recall there is an office in the secure area for tax refunds at Schiphol. Never having been able to use it I can't be certain.
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 12:06 AM

Just checked the Schiphol site and there is a douane/BTW office by lounge 2, between gates E and D, and also one along the right hand spur of the D gates.
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 02:35 AM

Okay, here is my take:

1) Switzerland is outside the EU customs union. As such, I don't believe it is possible to obtain the appropriate stamps at the Zurich airport. I have received refunds there, but only on items purchased in Switzerland.

2) This most likely means you will need to get the stamp at AMS. The only customs office beyond passport control that I am aware of is in Pier D. You would need to take your purchases there and have them available for inspection to get your stamp. Once you have the stamp, you can either drop it in a mailbox or, if it is a Global Refund form, there is an office in lounge 2. With 2 hours, you should have enough time, but don't dilly-dally.

<i>be sure to have your passport with you when you go to LV</i>

FWIW, I have never found it necessary to carry my passport when shopping. Every vendor I have encountered simply leaves the passport information blank and you write it in later.
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 04:36 AM

No, it's not required at LV, but if you have it, all the info is saved in the computer for future use and it will all be printed out on the form. Easier for me.
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Travel - I have the map printed out and I do not see Pier D. They just have things labeled as lounges and gates.

Also, I would assume that a lot of people like to get in line to get their cash right there at the Global Refund desk, however you get less of a refund back than if you were to drop it in the mailbox, correct? What percentage does Global Refund take out?
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 07:50 AM

Jill - Pier D = Gates D. Note that the map is not necessarily to scale, and it is a decent walk to the customs office. There are also information booths that can point you in the right direction.

As for getting less money if you take cash, I wouldn't know as I usually just have them put it on my credit card, but I do this at the counter, rather than mailing it in. The only time I recall not doing this was in Singapore, where they gave you more if you took vouchers for the airport and I had duty-free shopping to do.

In general, I don't know what the percentage is, but you don't have much say in the matter anyway. If they use Global Refund as their processor, then you play by their rules.