Reload this Page >

Anyone Been to Spello

Search

Anyone Been to Spello

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2002, 07:17 AM
Frank

Anyone Been to Spello

There a couple of highly touted hotels there . We were thinking about them but wondered what Spello is like. Guidebooks say little or nothing.

Old Mar 11th, 2002, 07:48 AM
Judi

We spent three nights in Spello in November and I fell in love with that little town! I dream of renting an apartment there for a couple of weeks some day. We stayed at the Palazzo Bocci which is great. Two of the best meals we had in Italy were at La Bastiglia at the hotel of the same name. That hotel is nice as well, located at one of the town entrances overlooking the beautiful Umbrian countryside. We also ate at Il Molino across from the Palazzo Bocci and it was good but nothing special.Email me if you would like more information. You are right; there is not much information about Spello in guidebooks or on this site.

Old Mar 11th, 2002, 07:51 AM
catherine

Spello is a wonderful little hill town perched above vineyards. There are narrow winding streets and a lovely duomo. It is a good stopping point for a trip through Umbria. I don't know if I would spend more than a night or two there, though. Nearby Spoleto has more to do, particularly in the evening.

Old Mar 11th, 2002, 11:31 AM
Dale

FRANK:<BR><BR>I echo the comments about la Bastilia. Nice hotel, right at the top of the town. In fact, you can drive up the east side of the town without going through it. Good parking and a kitchen to never forget.<BR><BR>You will find that there a several wonderful hill towns in this part of Umbria. On the road that connects Perugia with Spoleto (going southward) are Assisi, Spello, Bevagna, Montefalco and Trevi. All worth a day or more. I visit this area twice a year.<BR><BR>And if you're into food, there is a fantastic little osteria in the hamlet of Pigge, right off the road. Taverna del Pescatore. Watch for the signs.

Old Mar 11th, 2002, 12:12 PM
Mariarosa

I agree with Dale that the advantage of Spello is it's location. If using public transportation, Assisi is only 10 minutes by train, and Spoleto is less than 1 hour away. With a car you could visit Umbrian towns that are hard to get to by public transport (like Gubbio, which unfortunately we couldn't visit on our trip).<BR><BR>However, my husband and I thought that there wasn't much (anything?) to see in Spello. There's a church with frescoes (closed when we visited) and not much beyond that. Spello also lacked atmospheric piazzas. Their largest one was very unatmospheric, with newer buildings. We couldn't find a place where you could sit down, people-watch and soak up some local atmosphere. We really loved Spoleto, but I don't know if there are any 'highly touted' hotels there.