Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Anyone been to San Sebastian or the Algarve?

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 10:21 AM
Ben

We're going to Spain and Portugal this summer and are deciding between spending time in San Sebastian, Spain and tha Algarve in Portugal (either Lagos or Sangres). If anyone's been to one or both and has any suggestions, they'd be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 08:07 AM
Janet

Hi Ben,

Haven't been to San Sepbastian, but spent a wonderful week in Vila da Bispo (not far from Sagres and Lagos at the Parque de Floresta resort. The scenery is astounding, coastline and beaches awesome, restaurants and facilities excellent (and not expensive!). It is a very unspoiled region of the world, yet has all the amenities you could want. If you end up going, let me know what you think.

Janet

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 10:43 AM
Karen

I haven't been, but friends just got back from the Algarve. They just kept repeating "Never EVER go to the Algarve". They were very disappointed as they had heard great things about the area, but instead found it to be dirty and unpleasant and not relaxing in the least.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 01:27 PM
David

I visited San Sebastian last September for a couple of days. It is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been. I hope to return some day.

I also took a day trip to Bilbao from San Sebastain to visit the Guggenheim. I'd recommend this if you have the time.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 02:04 PM
john

I've been to Faro (Algarve) and to San Sebastian. San Sebastian is one of the most beautiful cities you'll ever visit. It has a nice little beach and tappas in many of the bars after working hours. Michelin gives it three stars
Faro was mediocre in ambience and dining, sort of a typical beach town. The Algarve towns you mention are smaller but may be more interesting.
Driving in Portugal is very risky.
John Bermont
www.enjoy-europe.com

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 02:48 PM
Pedro

Both are like night and day, absolutely different. San Sebastian is quite an elegant city with a wonderful beach and bay ( cool water too ), perfect for eating out but it is a medium sized city ( around 250.000 inhab ) full of Atlantic flavour as Santander, La Coruña, Deauville, La Baule or Brighton. The Algarve region is on the other hand a bunch of pretty average small towns and cities (Lagos, Silves and Tavira, among the cities and Carvoeiro, Sagres, Cacelha Velha and Alte among the towns may be the most beautiful ) and an spectacular and varied coastline full of awesome spots as Algar Seco (close to Carvoeiro) or Ponta da Piedade (close to Lagos), the numerous caves in the central area, long sandy beaches as Manta Rota, Monte Gordo or Alvor/Meia Praia or imposing cliffs as in Sagres. I would only give a suggestion, avoid Algarve in August. It become so crowded that it spoils this natural beauty, traffice jams, impossible parking, etc. But in June, September ( specially this month ) or even the beginning of July, it is really a very good place to rest and enjoy beautiful beaches. Best area for me.....Alvor/Praia dos Tres Irmaos if you like to be in a tranquil and awesome place, Lagos if you are looking for some nightlife.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 03:31 PM
suzanne

I spent time in Lagos and Sagres in August/September last year. I had heard good things about Sagres, but actually found it pretty boring and dead, and full of tourist shops. Lagos was much larger and scenic and was full of people. The shopping was very good, and the beaches with their rock formations were an awesome sight. But still, the touristy-ness of this area made us continue on to a small town on the beach called Salema (on Rick Steve's suggestion), where we stayed for 2 nights. It was rather plain, but quaint and full of interesting locals and a few European travelers. We were the only Americans there. It was a good base for visiting the other towns and beaches. I must say this, though...the Algarve was my least favorite part of Portugal. Too touristy, too little culture, not -so-great food. If you just want to sit on a beach or shop, though, it's fine.

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 02:27 PM
BabyJane

Another vote for San Sebastian...it is simply beautiful. However, the weather may be cooler than on the Algarve as the city faces the Cantabrian Sea (Southern Bay of Biscay) but I was there last week and the temperature was touching 82f (28c).