Reload this Page >

Anyone been to Portofino, ITALY?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 1998, 09:57 PM
Chris Ng

Anyone go to Portofino? Is it worth a stop? One night enough? Any hotel recommendations?
Thanks!

Old Apr 6th, 1998, 07:02 AM
Arizona

Portofino is a lovely little town around a tiny cove. If you can't find a room there, just along the coast is the resort town of Santa Margharita Ligure; it's a train stop south of Genoa. During the day, Portofino is flocked with day-trippers who leave at sundown. So it's usually quiet at night.
The Michelin Red Guide for Italy lists all sorts of small hotels.

Old Apr 6th, 1998, 12:34 PM
D. Spiegel

Can you be more precise in your question? What exactly do you need to know? I was there in September. There's not much to do -- the town is quite small. Nice to spent several hours, but I'm glad we stayed in Santa Margherita, which was convenient to the train station from which we took day trips. Also, SM is only a 15-20 minute bus or boat trip from Portofino.

Old Apr 6th, 1998, 12:35 PM
D. Spiegel

Can you be more precise in your question? What exactly do you need to know? I was there in September. There's not much to do -- the town is quite small. Nice to spent several hours, but I'm glad we stayed in Santa Margherita, which was convenient to the train station from which we took day trips. Also, SM is only a 15-20 minute bus or boat trip from Portofino.

Old Apr 6th, 1998, 12:35 PM
D. Spiegel

Old Apr 6th, 1998, 02:49 PM
kam

Portofino is a very posh resort where the rich and famous dock their yachts when crusing around the Mediterranean. The premier hotel is the Splendido, which is expensive, but a true Portofino experience. It is a seaside resort--rent a small boat or hire someone to take you water skiing. If that doesn't appeal then don't bother to go. There's only one road in and out and it's terribly crowded in the summer. Another less crowded coastal town is Camogli where you can stay in the former summer home of the Doges of Genoa. The food is wonderful in this part of Italy, but it's not historic and doesn't have as much touristy things to do. As I rmember, Rex Harrison had a villa in Portofino.