Anyone been to Gleninchaquin Park?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the second day of our trip, we are planning on waking in Cashel, doing the Rock first thing then hitting the road towards Dingle for the night. Along the way we would like to see Gleninchaquin Park... How out of the way will that be? Has anyone been there? Is it the worth the detour?

Thanks!

~
Old Apr 25th, 2009, 02:57 PM

Here's a link to a reliable report of the Gleninchaquin Park experience:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-a-funeral.cfm

HOWEVER --- It makes a suitable day-trip from Killarney, NOT a detour-visit, enroute from Cashel - Dingle. According to http://aaroadwatch.ie that drive is 72 miles (276 kilometers) and would take a seasoned LOCAL driver (NOT distracted by the sights along the way)four hours and fifteen minutes (4 hr 15 min) DRIVE TIME. For a first-time tourist, I would estimate YOUR travel time at closer to 6 hours -- not counting time for meals, refueling (vehicle OR self)OR for actually VISITING Gleninchaquin.

http://www.tuosist.com/glen.asp

If you don't get on the road by 11:00 AM, (walkin in Cashel, visiting the Rock, before departure) just doing a 'Drive BY' would mean not getting in to Dingle much before 5:00 PM.

FAR too many reasons to stop, look and take photos along the proposed route. For instance, officially, it takes a little over an hour to drive from Killarney to Dingle, on the R561, but for a first-timer to do so would require that they either are blind, or that they have no soul.

If you really want to enjoy your visit, take the time to savor the visions that you encounter and avoid the temptation to dash about until it all blends into the memory a continuaous, Green Blur that streamed past the car's windows.

Bob
Old Apr 25th, 2009, 02:59 PM

Sorry, that drive is 172 miles, NOT 72!

My Bad.

Bob
Old Apr 25th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

Hi Bob,

Actually, I just looked it up again to make sure I hadn't done the math wrong the first time, and Cashel to Dingle is only 129.6 miles, with a driving time of: 3 hr 5 min
Not quite that bad! I knew that we had planned our trip around drive times not longer than 3 or 4 hours a day... you had me worried there for a second!

We will be in Dingle for 2 nights, so arriving at 5pm or after, isn't a problem.

~
Old Apr 25th, 2009, 06:40 PM

Sorry that I wasn't clear, in my initial post. While the Cashel to Dingle route probably is on the order of 129 miles, the route from Cashel to Kenmare, then to Dingle is 172 miles.

Gleninchaquin is a further 8-10 miles beyond Kenmare, so, round-trip would add 16-20 miles more, bringing the total drive to approximately 190.

A universal 'Rule of Thumb' as used by Micele Erdvig ( http://www.IrelandYes.com ) AND Pat Preston ( http://www.irelandexpert.com ) FOR US TOURISTS TO IRELAND is to figure 35 MPH for trips. My own observation is that FIRST TIME visitors will likely find that 30 MPH will net more accurate time estimates.

So, 190 miles divided by 35 MPH equals a drive time of 5.4285 hours. MY allowance of 30 MPH results in an estimated time of 190 divided by 30 = 6.333 hours. YOUR mileage may vary, but bear in mind, that these are DRIVE time estimates, that do NOT include time spent actually visiting the park.

As I mentioned before, you would also be passing right by NUMEROUS diversions and enticements that could add tremendously to your time -- the charmingly picturesque town of Kenmare (and the adjacent Stone Circle there), Moll's Gap, Ladies View, Torc Falls, Muckross House, Gardens and Traditional Farms, Killarney's Lakes, National Park, Ross Castle, Killorglin, Inch Strand, the Coast Drive AND the Three Sisters.

Even if you just stopped for a quick view and photo at HALF of those sites, you would probably add ANOTHER hour to your drive.

Now, LOTS of people travel at that kind of pace and some actually prefer to be that busy. If that's the case, then Go For It, by all means.

But, MANY first timer's tend to grossly OVER-SCHEDULE and the most common culprit is the American sense of time versus distance, where in, 50-70 miles is nearly always an hour or less.

From an earlier thread:

"My wife and I are in our mid- to late 50's. Every trip (and this June will make our eleventh) to Ireland, we always have at least a few days where we are touring, 'Out And About' for 8 - 10 hours, yet I don't believe that we've ever covered more than 150 miles in one day.

Yes, the roads are narrow and all that, but the REAL reason that travel in Ireland is so 'SLOW', is that it is so DENSLY PACKED with sights that all but DEMAND that you stop and look and snap a photo -- and maybe pull off, down that beckoning side road that doesn't even appear on the map, because you just KNOW that there is SOMETHING absolutely AMAZING, just waiting, out of sight, around a bend or two. Or perhaps, you stop for petrol, or a drink, snack or meal and get embroiled in conversation with a facinatingly interesting fellow, who gives you directions to a stone circle, a ring fort or whatever, that isn't even in any of the guidebooks."

Again, this is YOUR vacation and only YOU know how you want it to be spent. Those of us here give advice (mostly) based upon our experience, so that you can make INFORMED decisions.

Bob
Old Apr 27th, 2009, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Well, we're both in our early 30's, and full of energy. We're also pretty certain of the things that we want to see and don't need to see(for example, Muckross House doesn't interest us, etc.).

I think we'll give it go.

Thanks for your input...

~