Search

Anyone been to Barberino, Italy?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2004, 11:51 AM
TC
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone been to Barberino, Italy?

I'm looking for some first hand information about Barberino Val d' Elsa, Italy. Its a small village in the Chianti region between Florence, Siena, San Gimignano, Greve, and Radda. I have an opportunity to rent a flat there. Appreciate any insight. Thanks.
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 05:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
ttt for TC
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 04:34 PM
TC
Original Poster

ttt
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 04:44 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I recall a trip report of Italy on this board with a picture link and there was a picture of the town sign with a reference made to the Welcome Back Kotter TV show but I can't remember the person's name that made the report. They guy that did the report lives in Europe. Anyone remember these pics and his name?
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 05:10 PM

This isn't first-hand information, but maybe it'll give you an idea:

http://www.barberinovaldelsa.net/en_turismo.html

It's the English version of tourism information provided by the town of Barberino Val d'Elsa.
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 05:31 PM

I found the picture link but the spelling is Barberani. Is this a different town? Anyway you can see a pic on www.deepbluesun.com under the Tusacany section along with some other great pics.
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 05:41 PM
TC
Original Poster

Sooooo...this is YOUR bands web site? Nice advertisment. Not much help however. Wouldn't you have more fun on a forum that actually cared about your music?
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 06:50 PM

No TC, I am not in a band and it is not my website. I didn't give the complete address. It should be deepbluesun.com/italy. I think the guy that posted the Italy pictures is in the band but you will love his pictures of the area and his commentary is funny.
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 06:55 PM

Just found his Fodor's sn. It's katmoo if you want to search for it.
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 07:32 PM
TC
Original Poster

Sorry! It was very weird and no pictures....whats a person to think? Thanks for the right connect.
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 07:42 PM

So is it Barberino or Barberani? Or 2 different towns?
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 07:48 PM
TC
Original Poster

The town is Barberino Val d'Elsa. I'm not sure what the sign is that the guy is standing in front of. I think it may be advertising some kind of wine or a winery. ???? Italians?
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 04:14 AM

Hi TC

We stayed in an apartment just outside the village wall of Barberino Val d'Elsa for 7 nights in June last year. We had originally booked to stay in Sam Gimignano, but when I was researching bus timetables, etc I came across a web site which gave LOTS of information on the Chianti region and photographs of the apartment we ended up staying in.

We loved Barberino - we did not have a car and spent just one day in Siena and one day in San Gimignano and then the rest of the week in and around the village. We almost felt like locals by the end of the week - the girl from the tourist office waved and "buon giorno-ed" each time we saw her in the street, the two lovely ladies in the little deli were very patient with our bumbling requests and pointing to what we wanted to buy, etc, etc.

On our last night in the village, we were eating at one of the restaurants by the church and the owner of our apartment was at a gathering at the church - he had picked us up fron the bus and driven us to the apartment on our arrival,so when he saw us he came and joined us for a chat. I loved it - bumping into someone we knew in Tuscany!!!

The village itself is picture perfect, the surrounding countryside is stunning, there are not a lot of tourists, the locals are very friendly and it is a lot smaller and more personal than San G (for example). We did not hire a car - being from Australia we were a bit wary of driving on the "wrong" side of the road - and we found the buses to be fine for getting from village to village and to Siena and Florence. Our bus trips also gave us some funny and memorable experiences! A car would be advantageous though - lots of little out of the way places, wineries and so on just waiting to de discovered!!!

Just ask if you would like to know anything else. I was just looking through all my photos of our trip this afternoon - and now your question makes me want to be back there right now.

Regards
Helen
PS: Look at www.bardotti.com for lots of great info.
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 02:55 PM

ttt for TC
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 07:49 PM
TC
Original Poster

Helen, Thank you so very much. The village looks beautiful. I can't wait to get there. We've taken a flat - not the same one you had. It sounds like the perfect locatin for exploring Chianti. We love the type of holiday you've described and look forward to having our own wonderful local encounters.
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 12:46 PM

This place sounds wonderful; exactly what we're looking for! I'd love to know more information about, specifically, which apartments or hotels you all have stayed at in Barberino. I have heard about Bardotti- any more experiences there? It's definitely in our budget.

We are trying to avoid renting a car (can't drive stick shift, so it is too expensive!) But the convenient bus service in Barberino makes it a wonderful option.

Thanks!
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 04:40 AM
TC
Original Poster

http://www.vrbo.com/19410

Above is web address for the flat we have rented in Barberino. It is owned by a friend of a friend and is supposed to be wonderful although we haven't made our trip yet so can't give first hand information. Will post more upon returning in October.
Old Nov 21st, 2004, 12:24 PM

Eloise,
Thank you for guiding me to this thread!

DM
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 03:10 PM

I just stumbled into your inquiry and don't know for sure if you have already visited Italy. If not, pls know that I stayed in Barberino Val d'Elsa in October 2003 at Il Paretaio which is a dressage and country riding academy (website: www.ilparetaio.it). My suggestion to you would be to contact them and I encourage you to have dinner at Il Paretaio with owners, Cristina & Gianni,their diverse guests and enjoy their wonderful family style meals. It is centrally located to San Gim, Siena and Greve, etc.
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 04:59 AM
TC
Original Poster

We enjoyed Barberino. It is a very sleepy walled city (quite small) with beautiful vistas. The location was very central. I don't know that it is the very best choice, as we thought some of the other towns had a bit more to offer in the way of restaurants, etc.

The flat was nice - though not lux. It had great views from the master bedroom, but felt a little closed in from the sitting areas. It served basic needs. Overall, while charming, we were underwhelmed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -