Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Anyone been on the Fat Tire Bike Tour in Barcelona?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2006, 07:59 PM
jgg
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Barcelona in March. I would love to do the Segway Tour but they have a minimum age of 15 and my kids are 14 and 11. Since laclaire lists one of her Top Ten Things to do in Barcelona as "see the city by bike", I thought I would look into doing a bike tour. Just looking for some feedback on this or any other bike tour. Thanks!
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 05:04 AM

We did the Fat Tire Bike Tour in Paris and absolutely loved it. The guides are great fun and informative too. We liked it so much that we did a Mike's bike tour when we got to Amsterdam. I think they used to be part of the same company but split or something. Anyways, maybe some who's done it in Barcelona might reply.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 05:33 AM

Dh and I and another couple did the Barcelona Fat Bike tour in June. It was an absolute blast!!!! We had a terrific guide who told us all about the history of Barcelona, and the night life as he knew it first hand . We started in Barrie Gothic, which was a little hairy because the streets are narrow and there was alot of auto traffic. Once out of the Barrie there were bicycle lanes on the main roads. We went to the Sagrada Familia, the bull fighting arena, Parc Gruell, some of the Gaudi buildings, and the Olympic area. We ended the tour at a beach bar for some food and beers (yes you can get sodas too!). It was an easy ride, mostly flat with some slight hills. All we kept saying was 'how cool is this'!!!! Highly recommend it.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 07:40 AM

The Fat Tire tour in Paris is phenomenal, so I'm guessing the Barcelona one is, too. My husband and I are going to Barcelona in a few weeks and plan to look into it. In Paris it was a great use of our time and money... we did it on our second day in the city, and it helped us get oriented and figure out what we wanted to see later on.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 08:22 AM

We loved the Paris Fat Tire Bike tour so much we are already planning on doing the one in Amsterdam and the one in Munich next summer. We had a blast.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 08:33 AM

Thanks for posting this. I will be in Barcelona next week for 2 days. My husband is attending a conference so I will be on my own during the day. It sounds like a perfect way for me to see the city.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 09:38 AM
jgg
Original Poster

Thank you for all your responses. Sounds like something we will definitely do! We will be there for 5 nights. Any opinions on whether we should do early on in the trip to get a feel for the city, or later on to just enjoy seeing Barcelona in a different way.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 09:43 AM

Jgg, have you booked your tickets and apartment yet? I'm not that far along. The kids and I have decided on Barcelona for spring break, but my husband is still in the "What's there to see in Barcelona?" stage. Remind me again what week you'll be there.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 02:37 PM
jgg
Original Poster

Missypie - We will be there March 17 - 21, then 8 nights in Morocco, then March 30 for our last night in Barcelona. Yes, I have booked my tickets (we did FF miles) just booked my hotel yesterday. (I'm one of those people who plans way in advance!) I know Barcelona doesn't seem to have the list of "must sees" that some of the other cities do, but everyone seems to just love it so we are going to give it a try. When is your spring break?
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 09:03 AM

I did end up doing the Fat Tire tour. It was great. Very worthwhile. It was a perfect way for me to see the city by myself. I think it would also be great for those staying longer as well. A nice way to get the lay of the city.

A note while I was waiting a rather scruffy looking guy with a t-shirt with Barcelona bike tours told me that Fat Tire was not doing tours that day. I could sign up with him. There were 2 other people going on his tour. I decided not to go with them, It just did not feel right, though I did not feel it was unsafe, just not professional. Thankfully Fat Tire showed up a few minutes later and they were very professional, fun and knowledgeable.

Also if anyone is worried about how in shape you need to be, no worries. You bike for a few minutes, stop at a site, for a few minutes, bike a bit more. Mostly very flat. I think most anyone would be able to do it and have fun.
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 09:11 AM

Jgg, our spring break is the week before. I just can't find flights that I like. If I keep looking at the same ones, I'll get used to then and face facts that it's going to take us some 18 hours to get there!
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 11:16 AM

I shadowed a Fat Tire tour the other day. Good stuff. They seem like a solid group of people and the pace was more than manageable.
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 02:26 PM
jgg
Original Poster

Coskier - thanks for the tip on watching out for the unprofessionals - we will wait for Fat Tire.

laclaire - glad you thought the Fat Tire Bike Tour looked good, you are the biking in Barcelona expert!!

Missypie - I know how you feel. For our trip to Italy last June I kept checking flights everyday hoping the price would go down a bit. One day, I finally just said - that's it - and booked them. I was so happy to finally be free from checking!!

Also, keep in mind schedules can change even after you book it. For our trip to London and Paris, when I first booked it we had nonstop San Francisco to London and nonstop Paris to San Francisco. A month or so after I booked, I received notification from United that they no longer had the nonstop from Paris to San Francisco and we had to stop in Washington D.C. - Ugh!! We live in a small town in Oregon, so even after getting to San Francisco we had another flight. With all the flights, layovers, etc. we could have flown home from China!!