Anybody been to switzerland in winter?

Old Dec 1st, 2002, 02:04 PM
luzernlover

Anybody been to switzerland in winter?

I am one of those fodorites that loves switzerland. I have been there tons of times always between july and september. I would like to go after new year to luzern and Lugano so what can i expect? Will it be snowing? Will the scenery still be there? I do not want to go if I will not be able to enjoy the luzern mountains or lake. Also, does it get colder than paris in the winter?

Old Dec 1st, 2002, 02:33 PM
Diane

We were in Muerren the week before Christmas in 1999. It was quity snowy but an ideal winter scene to stroll around the town and even better at night when the christmas lights were on and the snow was falling lightly and it was perfectly quiet. It was beautiful.<BR><BR>Because we were there a bit more than a week before Christmas, many places were not open yet - the ski season would be starting the following week, thus the reason for it being so quiet. From what I understood it would become very busy when the skiing started.<BR><BR>As for weather, it was cool, but what I would expect for winter (we're from Wisconsin). It feels different than Paris - not as damp, but yes, colder at least in the mountains. In the lower elevations it was still green and we experienced no snow but I would guess that could change in January.

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 12:15 AM
john

Switzerland is good to visit at anytime of the year except November (and possibly the end of October and beginning of December). During this period there are grey skies and little snow. Once December is underway it starts to snow properly and when winter is over it just gets hotter and hotter and autumn doesn't get too bad until November.

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 12:43 AM
Jan

Luzern can be gray and/or fogged in January. We may or may not have snow. The holiday cheer is over, so no lights, but the sale season is in full swing and the city is busy withvthe locals. No tour busses which is nice. But, when you have a clear day, there is a crystal quality to the air and the mountains just leap out at you. They are at their best then, snow covered and glorious. The ferries are running also. I would say COME. If the weather is mediocre in Luzern, you can go to Engelberg which is often clear and it is a charming town for a day.<BR><BR>Luzern is a different experience in the winter. It is more subtle and less touristy but nice. It is not too cold (about 32-40 degrees) and the roads are fine for driving. People are not too tired of winter yet (like Feb)and I think there is a cheer in the air. This is the time to do your fondue and raclette, kirsch and winter wanderwegs!<BR>Cheers,<BR>Jan

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 04:00 AM
mj

luzernlover,<BR>Jan is right on the money. - we travel thru Luzern in mid January on the way to skiing in Andermatt or Engelberg.<BR><BR>The real blessing is no/few tourists so you get a great feel of the local charm of the area.<BR><BR>Luzern (at a higher elevation) is normally cooler than Paris but in January, the weather can be fickle.

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 04:11 AM
Ursula

Just don't forget that in January, the days are still pretty short and weather can be very cold, cold, less cold, rainy, snowy, sunny, foggy.....<BR>But over all, I find, the real heavy winters belong to the past. Very rare, that the snow remains for long in the cities these years, but you can see the snow covered mountains from Lucerne and many other cities just as well.<BR>Oh well, all the better, as traffic seems to break down with only some inches.<BR>