Anybody been to Barcelona?

Old Dec 15th, 1999, 04:06 PM
honeymooner

Anybody been to Barcelona?

I am thinking of going to Barcelona for my honeymoon. Is it a romantic location? I will only be able to be there 5 days. I plan 2.5 in Barcelona and 2.5 in Sitges. What do you think?
Planning on traveling there end of May.

Old Dec 16th, 1999, 06:12 AM
henry

honeymooner:Never been to Sitges but was in Barcelona in 5/97 for 1 week.I highly recommend.Congrats. on your wedding.HV.

Old Dec 17th, 1999, 04:25 PM
julie

Went to Barcelona last summer..for some reason, although we love Spain, we were definately underwhelmed with this city. Couldn't find good restaurants, dirty and too many tourists..Also,there are some very bad parts of town. My son had the same reaction. However, a friend of ours simply loved it. It is all in how things go for you, preparations you have made, and what you make of what happens to you. I judge a place by good food and friendly natives, first of all, then reasonable accomodations, places to walk, good museums, and good scenery close at hand.

Old Dec 18th, 1999, 01:36 AM
Mike

Was in Barcelona just a couple months ago. It is a nice city, however not very romantic. However, your choice of city will really depend on what you are looking for in a honeymoon - beach or inland location. If you don't mind inland and have your heart set on Spain, recommend heading further south to Granada or Sevilla. Haven't travelled extensively in Spain so can't recommend any other romantic spots. However, there are lots in Germany, France, and Italy.

Old Dec 18th, 1999, 10:27 AM
garnet

Whoa! How did so many negative opinions of Barcelona end up together, while last summer there was an avalanche of raves about the same city?

We were there in May and wish we'd had 5 days more -- for us it was magic, but we love Gaudi modernista architecture and the wonderful whimsy of Parc Guell and the Palau de la Musica. Seville is lovely, but smaller with, IMHO, much less going on. Barcelona has old (the old section has Gothic things built into Roman things and little surprises around each corner -- and I'm NOT talking about pickpockets), new (the new harbor area, Montjuic, the Miro museum and Olympic park), and in between (all the Gaudi stuffy). And there are wonderful vistas everywhere of the mountains and the Mediterranean.

We ate very, very well there -- strenuously recommend the Cafe de l'Academia. And wish we'd had time to go up to Montserrat and out to Tossa de Mar -- both of which are very romantic.
The "bad" area is mainly the main drag -- the Ramblas -- and it doesn't look bad, it's just open season on stupidity in tourists there. Just off the Ramblas, particularly to the east, is fine and very interesting. And the Eixample is stunningly graceful (the area of the Modernista apartment buildings and houses).

Our best memories -- INCLUDING a week in Paris -- were of Barcelona. Of course it's a matter of taste, so if you think EPCOT is romantic, you won't enjoy this. But seriously consider it -- do some reading (e.g., the Eyewitness book), and consider adding Tossa or even Ibiza, Minorca or Majorca. Sitges looked okay, although earlier this year some homophobe had a bad reaction to some things she saw there -- but I think Tossa is aesthetically preferable, anyway. The view from the cliffs is unforgettable!

Let us know -- those of us who take time to write -- okay? Good luck and congrats!

Old Dec 18th, 1999, 10:27 AM
merriem

Buenos Aires was our favorite city until we spent four days in Barcelona in April! I am sorry to disagree with the previous posters that thought it was dirty and not safe. We stayed at the Claris Hotel, and walked everywhere. You can find the Claris under "Small Luxury Hotels of the World". There were so many things to see, and four days barely gave us enough time. The people were lovely, the city beautiful, and if you would like more info, feel free to e-mail.
As far as romantic, isn't any place romantic on your honeymoon. We stayed over 30 years ago at the Howard Johnson in Oklahoma City......It didn't matter.
Back to your post, May should be a very nice time. It can get quite hot there in the late summer. I lived in southern Spain for four years, and never made it to Barcelona. This trip was most delightful.....make sure you stay in a great hotel. The Inter-continental and Hilton are not in convenient locations.
The Ritz is also rated 6 stars plus. You do get your money's worth. P.S. Take a day tour to Monserat....the concierge at the front desk arranged it, and it was only about $35 for the whole day. It is a must see. Best Wishes

Old Dec 18th, 1999, 10:31 AM
garnet

P.S. -- have to agree with the other poster who wrote simultaneously with me re:May. We were there in late May and it was idyllic -- things blooming every where, perfect temperature, nice breezes. Go for it!

Old Jan 19th, 2000, 12:07 PM
Mags

I too was in Barcelona last May...after doing a 26 day tour of Europe. I also visited Madrid. I am returning in May 2000 to these two cities as well as the south of Spain. Does this answer your question? I would say that I enjoyed m,y whole trip but Spain had a 'liveliness' and 'down to earth' atmosphere like none of the other places. Wonderful country!!

Old Jan 19th, 2000, 01:06 PM
Thomas

Honeymooner. Been to Barcelona 4 summers, each a thrill. some of the older sections near the ramblas by the river may not look too attractive, but the ramblas north of plaza catalunya have romantic outdoor settings for drinks or talks under lovely trees. Other streets away from the main plaza are attractive to walk around. With only 2.5 days, stay at a decent hotel and do a lot of walking.

Old Jan 20th, 2000, 04:05 PM
Louis

I've been to Barcelona a couple of times and am quite surpirsed by the negative postings. Barcelona is not 'romantic' as say, Paris, but like that city it has tree-lined broad avenues and boulevards, monuments, churches (Sagrada Familia especially), a very nice gothic quater off Las Ramblas, and good restaurants; try the Qautre Gats (spelling?) which means the Four Cats and has good Catalan food; Picasso hung around there and did some of the posters for the place, if that means anything; and Sete Ports (spelling?) which means Seven Doors, very good paella, in fact a whole bunch of different kinds. As for Las Ramblas, late in the evening (after 11:00 p.m.) it begins to get a little sleazy, but it's still safe; and during the day and the early to middle evening it is very nice. There are flower vendors, newspaper and magazine kiosks, chairs in which to sit and people watch, street performers, of which gypsies are sometimes quite good. During the day go to see Gaudi's Casa Mila and Casa Batllo, the Parc Guel, and the Palace, which offers a fantastic view of the city. One word of warning: take care with your wallet/purse - there are very capable pickpockets - I speak from personal experience.

Old Jan 20th, 2000, 05:30 PM
Tom

Of all of our European travels, Barcelona is probably our favorite city. Lots of great things to do, great food and a lot of helpful, happy people. To feel like a part of the city, I'd recommend staying in a hotel in the upper end of Las Ramblas. Tom
P.S. Great time to start a Lladro collection as a wedding present to remember your honeymoon! Great prices compared to the USA

Old Jan 20th, 2000, 06:27 PM
Stephanie

I am also planning a honeymoon in Barcelona - June 2000. These comments have been most helpful - thanks for sharing the tips. I have also been reading "Spain" from the Lonely Planet series. We plan to spend the first few days on the beach somewhere along the coast (any suggestions?), and then take the train to Barcelona to visit the city.