June 2000 Honeymoon in Spain

Old Dec 9th, 1999, 11:52 PM
Kathy

June 2000 Honeymoon in Spain

I am planning on a honeymoon in Spain in June for 2 weeks. I'd like to stay just in one city, relax the first few days, and then do sightseeing day trips via train, bus, or rental car the rest of the time. Our interests are good food and wine, interesting & charming small towns, beautiful scenery, warm weather, romance, and unique shopping. Any suggestions for where we should make our home base and suggestions for day trips?

Old Dec 10th, 1999, 04:16 AM
Maira

Kathy---- I'll say the Costa Brava (Barcelona coastal area) or the Costa Verde (the northeast coast of Spain). My brother spent his honeymoon in a town called Lloret del Mar near Bracelona and LOVED it! Near the area is exactly what you described, quaint medieval villages, (Sitges, Tarragona)relaxing beach towns, great shopping and great sightseeing opportunities.

We spent some time at the Cost Verde this last May and thought that Pontevedra was really charming.

Old Dec 10th, 1999, 05:15 AM
Rex

Sevilla would also be good - - side trips to Ronda, the entire Marbella-Malaga beach playground, Granada and on and on.

But don't take this as a vote for Bacrcelona - - which deserves getting the first nomination. From Barcelona, check out the town of Seu d'Urgell - - halfway up into the Pyrenees - - you can even go on up into Andorra - - if you're into that whole Carmen San Diego thing. Seu d'Urgell felt like it had scarcely budged out of the middle ages the one (and alas, only) time I was there. Nice parador there, too - - I can't say that I agree with your decision to stay in any CITY the whole two weeks, but everyone has different tastes.

If you are willing to move some, the entire coast around Valencia, Alicante and Benidorm will reward you for the short time it takes to drive there.

Best wishes for a great new life together!

Rex
www.allexperts.com

Old Dec 10th, 1999, 11:31 AM
Michele

I'd vote for Barcelona and the area around it, also. I love Seville, but I THINK it might be terribly hot in June.

Spain is a wonderful place to start a married life. All the best....

Old Dec 10th, 1999, 02:43 PM
Margaret Solomon

Barcelona is a party, there's no doubt about it. But the most romantic -- i.e. sensual -- place I've ever been in, bar none,is the Alhambra..Gardens galore watered by streams -ahh it's wonderful -- and there are some nifty hotels right near by (one a converted monestary that is on the grounds, I believe). -Margaret

Old Dec 11th, 1999, 12:11 AM
miriam

Hallo Kathy,
just one thought:avoid Lloret de Mar-itīs the least romantic place in all Spain! Stay in Sitges or somewhere else if you want to be near Barcelona. Lloret de Mar is the cheapest place in Spain and very popular as a spot for High School finishers(sorry I donīt know the correct word for it) and elderly people all being brought by coach from all over Europe. The place is filled up with masses of people, cheap hotels, cheap restaurants, discos and shops with cheap stuff.
I would recommend Andalucia. If you like the beach stay in Tarifa (famous surf spot) or in Cadiz. From there you can easily make daytrips to Seville, Cordoba and the Alpujarras. I also would recommend to rent a car.
Have fun where ever you decide to go

Miriam

Old Dec 11th, 1999, 02:47 AM
Maira

Well Kathy, seems Miriam has first-hand knowledge of Lloret del Mar, which I don't. Again, my brother was there for his honeymoon (17 years ago) and thought it was lovely! He specially loved the beach, the sightseeing, and the food.

Andalucia is one of my favorite regions in Spain, but I do agree with Michele that June may be a bit too hot and I noticed you may be depending on public transportation. If you do choose to spend some time in Andalucia, strongly recommend you get a car.

Old Dec 11th, 1999, 05:09 AM
miriam

Hi Maira,
I didnīt intend to offend you-Iīm sure that 17 years ago Lloret was great. The development into what Iīve described began 10 years ago. Nowadays Lloret is described in several youth magazines as the favourite party spot in Europe. Very disappointing since the beautiful landscape and the close distance to Barcelona seem to be ideal for a mixture of beach vacation and sightseeing.

Regards
Miriam

Old Dec 11th, 1999, 08:55 AM
Maira

No offense taken at all Miriam; your information did sounded more updated than mine. That's another great thing about this forum; experienced travelers calling it the way they see it. Thank you for the information.

Old Jan 12th, 2000, 07:18 PM
Paul

I can recommend Santillana del Mar. In is in the north near Santander. Very romantic especially if you stay at the parador as we did. Only problem is it is not a good base for day trips to the highlights of Spain. But it would be a good place for spending a couple of days.

Old Jan 20th, 2000, 06:43 PM
Stephanie

I'm planning a similar trip as to what Kathy describes, but we'd like to stay in a beach resort area for the first few days. So I read the above debate about Lloret del Mar with interest. Does anyone have any other suggestions for small, beautiful, beach areas/villages? We aren't interested in the party scene.
Thanks for your advice!