Any trip suggestions ?

Old May 15th, 2011, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any trip suggestions ?

Hi,

I’m looking for suggestions for an upcoming spur of the moment travel opportunity. I have the period of 5/26 - 6/2 (2011) available for a quick jaunt someplace. I’m 51, male, single and generally enjoy small towns, nature, and scenery as opposed to big cities, museums, and nightlife. I live at the beach in California so a beach scene is not that important to me either. I’ll be flying out of JFK or DC. I’d like to do somewhere in Europe and in the last two years I’ve been to Ireland and Italy so those are off the list. I have also been to London, Greece, and Amsterdam in the past. I have an interest in Iceland but am a little put off by the weather (40’s and rainy). Also, if there were somewhere that I could tool around by car as opposed to public transportation that would be great although I should say that I am not totally put off by the idea of larger cities and using trains for transportation.

Any suggestions?

Thanks. Rob
Old May 15th, 2011, 02:41 PM

Go to Germany. Great public transportation, quaint towns, lots to see, eat and drink. Rent a car and get lost in the Black Forest. Drive to Garmish and visit the Zugspitze. The Alps are awesome and lots of scenic views.

Just MHO.
Old May 15th, 2011, 02:42 PM

Munich-- rent a car and head out in the general direction of Ettal and Obberammergau set on the most breathtaking scenery. Don't even bother with reservations, tons of B&B's, castles, and small inns peppered around the gorgeous countryside.
Old May 15th, 2011, 02:45 PM

pauljagman-- brilliant minds think alike--
Old May 15th, 2011, 03:14 PM

Viajero2 - LOL! Yes but it is such an obvious choice!!! You really don't have to be a genius to figure this one out.

Obberammergau? YES YES YES. One of my favorite! But then again there are so many favorites. I don't know if 6 days is enough time.
Old May 15th, 2011, 04:40 PM

Robw95, I agree that southern Germany would be great. Another suggetion - fly into Nice and toodle around the Cote d'Azur and venture into Provence. So much to see and do... Enjoy.
Old May 15th, 2011, 06:37 PM

Germany gets my vote too. Either the area around Munich or the area around Frankfurt, depending on what flights you can get. So much to see, it would be easy to fill your 6 days.
Old May 15th, 2011, 07:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everybody for your wonderful suggestions. For some reason, Germany seemed too big of a country to take on in the short period of time so I didn't consider it but the suggestions here of basing/exploring in Munich/Frankfurt make a lot of sense. I'll search around on the forums for some Germany info but if anybody has any itineraries/hotel recommendations for a week around the mentioned areas I would appreciate any help and you can either post a link here or email me directly at my username @ Yahoo.com. Thx. Rob
Old May 15th, 2011, 08:25 PM

Another vote for Cote d'Azur. Do a little research on this area before you make your mind up. Nice is a very fun city. You can either drive or take public transportation to the neighboring towns. Great weather as well.
Old May 16th, 2011, 11:52 AM

Landing in Frankfurt, I would include Wurzburg, Bamberg, Rothenburg ob der Tauber and finish up on the Rhein River in Bacharach, returning home from Frankfurt.

You could base in Wurzburg for 3 or 4 days and day trip to Bamberg one day and Rothenburg the next. Then spend the remainder of your time in Bacharach on the Rhein doing day trips to Boppard, St. Goar and Rheinfels Castle, or Marksburg Castle at Braubach. Plus there are other towns along the Rhein as well as the nearby Mosel River that you could explore in the time you have remaining.

So much to see and do in this area. It's easy to fill a week.
Old May 18th, 2011, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone's for their comments and input. I think that I am going to follow my original instinct and visit Iceland. Thanks again for the advise tho, it will be helpful for future trips.

Rob