Any tips on Lyon?

Old Jan 27th, 1999, 09:21 PM
Miray

Any tips on Lyon?

I'm going to be in Lyon, France for four and a half days at the end of March. Does anyone have any recommendations on where to stay (in the ** range), what to do, and places to eat?

Old Jan 28th, 1999, 05:07 AM
Al

I don't know if you are a "museum person," but Lyon has two that are particularly worthwhile. First, since Lyon was once the capital city of Roman Gaul, there is a very fine museum of Roman statuary and other artifacts unearthed within and near the city. Second, since Lyon was once the center of the French silk trade, the city has a fine museum of fabrics, showing how the cloth was developed, woven, dyed, etc. Sounds rather a boring subject, but the museum is first-rate. The Michelin Green Guide to France will give you all the particulars.

Old Jan 28th, 1999, 08:28 AM
karen

WHAT A DEAL in a great city! Found a promotion through Greater Lyon Office du Tourisme called, "Bon Weekend a Lyon" - over 40 hotels offered two nights for the price of one on weekends (when the business travelers clear out). We stayed at the 4-star "Hotel Royal" right on Place Bellecour - our quiet room on the top floor, with balcony overlooking the Place and views off to the basilica on the hill, was terrific. Staff could not have been more helpful. The promotion also offered 2-for-1 rates on guided tours, boat tours, etc. Webpage: www.mairie-lyon.fr

Old Feb 19th, 1999, 10:28 AM
Miray

karen,

sorry it took me so long to reply to your post...i checked out the webpage on lyon to get more info on the 2-for-1 deal on hotels, but it basically said that specific info is available through the lyon tourist bureau. do you know how i can contact the bureau? or better yet, do you still happen to have a list of the participating hotels?

thanks!

miray

Old Feb 19th, 1999, 02:58 PM
Ellen

I stayed at the IBIS in Lyon near the university and found it very good value for the dollar. The town center is charming and do a walking tour of the old town. The food in Lyon is wonderful. If you want to call the IBIS chain, they are at 1-800-NOVOTEL. I have used this chain all over France. There are several locations in Lyon and the university location is about 10-15 min. on foot to the old town center. I was quite pleased and a few years back it was only about $65/night for a double room.