Any thoughts on Giudecca

Search

Any thoughts on Giudecca

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2003, 04:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any thoughts on Giudecca

A couple of years ago my son stayed at a youth hostel on Giudecca and found the location pleasant.

I have found some self-catering accommodation on Giudecca that looks OK. I have noticed an absence of Fodorite comments on Giudecca.

Does anyone have any views on staying there?
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 04:53 AM

We only had dinner there, so I can't comment on overnighting, but I think that most people prefer to stay in Venice proper. I think that it's just a factor of convenience and being in the middle of it all.

However, if you've found something affordable on Guidecca, you might prefer the solitude at night, as long as the vaporetto makes for easy connnections in and out of Venice proper when it's convenient for you.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 05:16 AM

Guidecca is so close to the centre and there are boats all round the clock so it doesn't really matter much. You can check schedules on www.actv.it.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 05:47 AM

If you are watching your Euros, this may have some bearing.

We were in Venice in May for a week and I went to buy the seven-day vaporetto pass, and they said it had been discontinued, so I had to buy a three-day pass at, as I recall, 22 Euros. I bought it and we used them heavily for three days to see the other islands, but Venice is so compact that we didn't get another pass, and saw everything else by foot.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 05:59 AM

In my mind, Giudecca IS in Venice proper. Maybe Statia (above) confused Giudecca with the Lido. We stayed at La Calcina, which is on the Giudecca Canal, when we were in Venice in Oct. 2001 and loved the location. It is within a ten-minute walk to San Marco, but has a real neighborhood feeling, away from the crowded, sometimes frenetic tourist center. Don't hesitate to stay there. I'd be interested in the self-catering lodging you're considering.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 06:17 AM
ira

Hi

I take it that you are referring to the Giudecca Island, from which you would have to take the vaporetto back and forth.

It is a residential area, which looked very nice when we walked through it.

You can find your exact location at www.multimap.com.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 06:18 AM

Giudecca is an island. It is separated from the main part of the old city by the Giudecca Canal. The waterfront facing Giudecca is Zattere which has several restaurants. You can walk from Zattere to San Marco, Rialto or the railway station. If you are staying on the island of Giudecca, you need to get a boat across the Giudecca Canal. These take a couple of minutes, they're frequent as there is more than one route, and there is a 24-hour service.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 06:37 AM

This to add to my earlier reply. I am enclosing a link to an apartment highly recommended by my butcher. We stayed in a hotel near here, and if we are able to go back I will definitely look into this apartment. More space and more flexibility for less money; how can you beat that?

<http://www.world-world.com/propertie...carini.htm>
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 10:19 AM

I'm sorry! Of course Geoff is correct: Giudecca is the canal and Zattare is the waterfront facing it. What was I thinking?
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 10:39 AM

Betsy,

That's what I was referring to...the fact that Guidecca isn't accesible to the main parts of Venice on foot. Whereas, Venice proper can be explored on foot without ever having to access a boat. Sorry for the confusion.