Any Suggestions on things to do...

Feb 10th, 2009, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Any Suggestions on things to do...

Ok, so we have picked out or places to visit. Does anyone have any suggestions on things to do in each area? It is our Honeymoon and well, things that are a must and things that may be unique? We love to do anything. I am just looking for ideas like Pubs that are a must or certain sceneries that cant be missed?

We fly into Shannon this May.
Drive to Dingle for 3 days.

Then we drive to Kenmare for 3 days.

Then we drive up to Galway for 3 days.

Then we are staying at the Dromoland Castle for 3 days.

We are planning on seeing the Cliffs of Moehr (sp?)
Playing Golf- I know the courses at the nice hotels are expensive are there any that are close by these cities that are cheaper but just as good?

ANY suggestions would help out!

Thanks

Feb 10th, 2009, 12:26 PM

Hi cassismu,

You might want to repost your question with Ireland in the title. As you can see, there is no Ireland forum...all messages get blended into Europe. Ireland experts who scan titles would miss your question.
Feb 10th, 2009, 12:31 PM
ira

ditto
Feb 14th, 2009, 12:51 PM

I lived in Galway for the past couple of years and have loved it. As for pubs, go to Quay Street which has a few which are fun. A lot of them are touristy, some more than others. Avoid the Spanish Arch, its very touristy. The Quays is a neat pub inside, also the SkeffSkeffington Arms) on Eyre Square is always a nice spot.

As for day trips out of Galway, the Cloffs of Moher are a sight to see. I also definitely suggest the Aran Islands though, they are a convinient day trip from Galway and there is a ton to see on the Islands. I have done both the Cliffs and the Aran Islands tours, and between the two I prefer the Islands. It has Cliffs similar to the Cloffs of Moher that are only slightly shorter, with the addition of Dun Aengus, which is a prehistoric fort situated on top that was used to watch for enemies. Also the Islands themselves are beautiful, only those who were born there or marry in are allowed to live on them, and the main language is still Irish.
Feb 15th, 2009, 06:09 AM

BallyBunion (very expensive) is on the Dingle Peninsula. OldHead is near Kinsale (Cork, also expensive)

If you ferry across Shannon estuary on the way to Galway, there's Greg Norman's Doonberg Golf Links (both other courses are also links-type). Further north, 2km befote you get to Miltown-Malbay is a 9-hole links layout called Spanish Point: not too expensive. About 10km from Miltown Malbay you find Lahinch Golf links: expensive.

West from Galway, past Ross a'Veal off the road to Carraroe there's another 9-hole course called Connemara Isles. Challenging and
Scenic, the last/only thatched roof clubhouse in Ireland. Turn right after the Texaco station.

Of all the ones I mentioned I like Spanish Point best. But if you really want a links Golf Baptism, go North from Galway, past Westport to Belmullet. Carne Golf links is there. It's rated right up there with BallyBunion and Royal County Down and its prices are reasonable