Notices

any shoes to plays?

Old Nov 18th, 2003, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
any shoes to plays?

Friday, we are going to spend all day walking around the Covent Area and then to a play that night. We will have our tennis shoes on- please tell me we don't have to go back to the hotel and change...........
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 01:12 PM

You don't have to change. There are different feelings on this, but every time I go to London plays I notice people in every sort of dress. If you
don't mind going casually, others won't even notice.
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

it's not that I don't want to be a little "dressier", it just would take a lot of time (that we don't have) to go all the way back to the hotel -and I sure don't want to tote the shoes around all day. But I also didn't want to stick out like a sore thumb! So your answer makes me feel better - thanks!
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 01:15 PM

I agree. The dress ranges from very casual to dressy. The days where everyone dresses for the theater are over, so don't worry about it. In fact, dress is more casual in London theaters than in NYC.
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 01:18 PM

No there is no problem with tennis shoes at the theatre, but I have another question. Since you're traveling and doing a lot of walking apparently, why don't you buy yourself a decent pair of walking shoes that also work as dressier shoes? Tennis shoes are far from the best shoes to wear for a lot of walking. Just a suggestion. In my humble opinion the first thing any traveler should buy is a good pair of walking shoes, and that does not include "tennies".
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 01:30 PM
Degas

Don't worry - most theaters have easy to slip on tennis shoe covers for 1E.

Each has a picture of the theater on the top and make a nice inexpensive gift to bring back home. They come in black, brown or grey. They started this service about ten years ago to reduce the glare from all the white tennis shoes and make thier american cousins feel more at ease. Take advantage of it.

Old Nov 18th, 2003, 01:54 PM
JonJon

Wear whatever you want to wear (as will everyone else). If they refuse to let you in then you can start worrying. And nobody HERE is going to know what you wore anyway.

Old Nov 18th, 2003, 01:55 PM

I agree with Senorita Cosa. Why don't you buy a pair of black trainers, or dark walking shoe? I know Rockport makes a black trainer that costs under $40 at the Shoe Dept. here in Philadelphia (most cities have a Shoe Dept.). I think white trainers at the theatre is beyond the pale. I don't care what others wear. Do you want to look like chimneysweep's daughter?? Blimey.
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 02:00 PM

When we were in London almost two years ago, you couldn't get in the pub in our hotel building (Irish pub, damned if I can remember the name) if you were wearing white tennies. THAT was weird.
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 02:03 PM

No need to change shoes. You will see plenty of folks with tennis shoes on. But if you still feel a little funny, just get a pair of those tennis shoe covers that degas talked about. I think the price has gone up to 1 pound, but its still a good deal.
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 02:08 PM

My friend packs little black ballet type slippers and carries them in her oversize purse for just such occasions.
They look really cute.
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 02:24 PM
ira

Degas,

You gave it away. It should have been 1GBP, not 1E.
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 02:43 PM

MY Momma told me NEVER to wear white shoes after Labor Day...get a nice pair od dark walking shoes..you'll be happier and so will your toes!
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 02:47 PM

ok, you've been caught wanting to sneek in some tennis shoes in Europe. I must agree with Patrick, but if you are short on time, and must wear your tennies (are they white?)
you'll be fine.

I've found great walking shoes that are
1. black and decent looking
2. light weight
3. so comfy I can walk all day with them
4. they take me from sightseeing to theater, no need to change.

You'll notice what other travellers wear in Europe; but enjoy your day and wear your tennies, you won't get arrested....

Old Nov 18th, 2003, 06:43 PM

I agree with the last poster. I wouldn't wear tmy black walking shoes with a fancy fress, but they look fine with nice black pants, so they carry me from morning to night.
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 06:47 PM
Ally75

I like chardonnay's idea of carrying a pair with you to wear. Since you'll be sightseeing all day, you'll most likely have some sort of tote bag with you and could slip a pair of lightweight dressier shoes in. Would keep them nice if the weather was bad, also.

Old Nov 19th, 2003, 02:44 AM

I can't believe anyone in a theatre's got the time or the interest to inspect people's shoes (does anyone?), though I agree that tennis shoes don't sound like the most comfortable for walking around London (especially in November). Anyway, if you've been walking around all day, and you're anything like me, those shoes will be off your feet the minute you sit down. Just don't kick them out of reach.....
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 04:44 AM
Original Poster

Ok, it answer to what kind of "tennis shoes" they are EZ Spirits (very, very comfortable) and they are dark beige, not white. Thank you everyone that gave me suggestions, advice, etc.
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 05:21 AM

I only wear sports shoes (trainers) when playing sports. I feel very uncomfortable wearing them for anything else. There are just too many very comfortable, attractive black shoes out there to settle for trainers, even beige ones IMO. Just went to to see Les Mis in Boston last weekend, most people(as in london) I saw were wearing business casual or dressy casual type clothes. FYI, Judy
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 05:38 AM

When we went to our first of three plays in London, we dressed up...sport coat, nice dress on Mrs. Mdtravel. Second and third: khakis for both and non-tennis shoes. I had actually found a very comfortable pair of shoes that looked better than tennies and were extremely comfortable. I wore them on my ten mile walking day in Rome and had no problems. That's my one travel tip actually: get a nice pair of shoes that you could wear with either jeans or dressier outfits. When we were at the plays, I saw shorts, jeans, suits, tennies, ball caps, soccer jerseys...everything.