connection time in London sufficient?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2012, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi- We are traveling from Madrid to Boston via Heathrow on British Airways. Our flight from Madrid is operated by Iberia air, and gets into terminal 3. Our BA flight to Boston leaves from Terminal 5. How much time do we need to allot to get from one terminal to the other? Am I correct in thinking that we won't need to get our bags, and won't have to go through customs? Thank you!
Old Feb 12th, 2012, 06:27 AM

IF you have bought a ticket Madrid to Boston that just happens to be via Heathrow then the connection must be possible otherwise you wouldn't have been able to book it. The only worry is that after you book the flight times change it may mean you are below the minimum connection time. You luggage will be checked through to Boston from Madrid as unlike 3rd world countries you don't have to collect and recheck luggage.

http://www.heathrowairport.com/heath...-international
Old Feb 12th, 2012, 10:04 AM

I believe that the minimum legal connection time at Heathrow is 2 hours - but that can be dicey unless you move quickly - since buses from from termnal to another can be a wait and security lines long.

If the incoming plane is on time and you move quickly 2 hours shuold be enuogh - but I would be more comfortabel with 3 hours.

If it's all one ticket then it's the airline's responsibility to get you to your next destination - but if yours is the last flight out of the day, you will still lose a day.
Old Feb 12th, 2012, 11:25 AM

Minimum Connection Times (MCT) at Heathrow vary depending on your connection terminals and whether you are traveling internationally or continuing to a destination in the UK. Although these times are possible, that doesn't mean they are the best gauge of how long it will actually take to travel between terminals.

For example, the MCT from Terminal 3 to Terminal 5 is 90 minutes. I prefer 2-3 hours. I would rather have a little extra time to kill than stress over whether I may miss my connection if there are long security lines or my incoming flight is late. YMMV.
Old Feb 12th, 2012, 12:31 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"<B>connection time in London sufficient? </B>"

Who knows -- what is your connection time?

Your bags can be checked through, and you won't have to clear immigration or customs, but you will have to go through security.

Even if you miss the flight, since it is a single booking, they will put you on the next available flight (<i>unless</i> BA determines you were at fault for unnecessarily dawdling).
Old Feb 12th, 2012, 01:24 PM

Be careful. Many years ago (2003) we had a connection time of just under 90 minutes and we missed our flight. We had a very difficult time getting another flight and eventually flew on a different airline. Our bags were missing upon arrival in Paris. We didn't get them until the next day. Our return trip to Boston was the same story at Heathrow. We missed the connection and we were redirected to Newark where we missed the last connecting flight of the day to Boston and had to stay overnight at a really disgusting Howard Johnsons. I have avoided Heathrow since.
Old Feb 15th, 2012, 07:20 AM

If you are travelling after March 28 you won't even have to change terminals as Iberia is moving into Terminal 5 with BA, and after the Iberia flight, no service included, you will be delighted to flying BA onto Boston!
Old Feb 15th, 2012, 08:19 AM

The first important point I think is whether this is one ticket or two (ie all booked through BA with a code share leg on Iberia) or two separate flights. If they are two separate flights BA will not have any obligation to get you anywhere if your Iberia flight is late. Plus you wont likely be able to check your luggage through and will have to recheck in at Heathrow I think...