Any itinerary hints for Prague

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2017, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi - I have yet to book the ticket and I dont know why. Sometimes I just need the extra push to get me going. Solo travel is a different process. Are there any other solo travellers who feel the same way?
Old May 10th, 2017, 03:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Love Prague, being there three times.

Decide for yourself.

www.inyourpocket.com/Prague
Old May 10th, 2017, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks...
Old May 10th, 2017, 08:19 PM

We just spent a long weekend in Prague and loved it.

Here are our pics

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pug_gi...57680207864313

Our favourite thing was a food tour we booked through this company

https://www.tasteofprague.com/prague...FcgYGwodJaIMCg

Happy planning!
Old May 10th, 2017, 09:58 PM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
Can you plan around something you like to do? Farmer's markets? Food Festivals? An exhibit/performance of interest? Flea markets? Shopping? Prague and Budapest are often weekend trips for us, so I try to plan them around our interests for inspiration.
Old May 10th, 2017, 10:57 PM

I have been travelling to Prague for nearly 25 years now, was last there in March/April and am back again in June/July, some of the time I am with friend and sometimes solo,I di have several friends in the city that I meet up with when there but a lot of time I spend solo and I really do love it. so many interesting things to see and do.
http://www.prague.net/
https://livingprague.com/
these websites will give you loads of info and the first one has some good ideas for internaries. the second one has great info on how to use the various facilities in Prague ;like the trams and Metro getting tickets etc.They also do small group tours that are very good.
I am actually good friends with Jason that runs the website and does the tours,really nice guy.
there are lost of my trip reports on Trip Advisor, just look for Unclegus Trip reports and you should get a few some going back over 10 years ago.
Old May 11th, 2017, 02:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the information. I am going to try to breakdown my itinerary into food, architecture and literature. I appreciate all the help.
Old May 11th, 2017, 03:18 AM

for Literature look at Franz Kafka,Jaroslav Hasek and Milan Kundera.
Also Su Tower's book the Wayfayrers has a few chapters based in Prgaue and a fictional meeting of some of his characters with a young Kafka.
Stu was a regular contributor to these forums and sadly passes away in march.
there is a Kafka museum in the city and you can vist his grave easily as there is a metro stop right outside the cemetery.
Old May 21st, 2017, 05:34 PM

Gabriela Zelenkova is the only thing you need to know. An excellent guide. Will have you moving around Prague seeing and learning everything. Reasonably priced, on time at your hotel, not a smart phone queen. Its going to be all about you and the wonderful city.
Old May 21st, 2017, 06:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a wonderful time in Prague. I was there with a friend for several days, then my friend left, and I had about 3.5 days on my own. I'm disorganized about itineraries, though, so can't help there. I like art, architecture and history. II pretty much just used the Michelin Green Guide and decided what I was going to do that day in the morning. In random order, some things I did/sites I visited:

- Castle complex including the churches--yes, there's much to see there and it can be tiring but well worth it IMO. We spent hours and hours here.

- Old Town Square & Charles Bridge, Tyn, etc., of course.

- Josefov and the synagogues/Jewish Prague tour.

- Municipal House tour

- Strahov Monastery with library

- Veletrzni Palace. Part of the National Gallery and really fantastic--also known as Trade Fair Palace.

- Sternberg and Schwarzenburg Palaces, also part of the National Gallery. Website here: http://www.ngprague.cz/en/objekty

- Loretto

- I'm a runner, so in the mornings I got up and ran along the river, in Letenska park and environs, and Petrin park and environs. Incredible views.

- And into tons of churches, tons of walking and architecture-gawking, lots of eating and much, much more.

I enjoyed Prague quite a bit. It's terribly beautiful. Yes, crowded with tourists, but for good reason. And once you start delving a bit into so-called second-tier sites, things get much more manageable.
Old May 21st, 2017, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

What a good list! Thanks so much. Do you mind me asking where you stayed?
Old May 21st, 2017, 07:04 PM

I stayed two places. My friend and I were in an apartment that I don't see listed anymore. It was on Halstalska square in Josefov. Great location, central but not maddeningly thronged. Very near Hotel Maximilian. After my friend left, I moved up to the Vintage Design Hotel Sax near the castle but on a quiet side street. I think some would find staying up the hill inconvenient but it didn't bother me. I like walking around and don't struggle with hills.
Old May 21st, 2017, 07:13 PM

By the way, I just decided to go to Italy in July solo. Without others telling me what they want to do, I'm a little flummoxed about how to organize my trip. So I get it.
Old May 21st, 2017, 07:32 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
Terezin is certainly worth a day trip. Very sobering but very worthwhile IMO.
Old May 22nd, 2017, 05:31 AM
Original Poster

@leely2 - I think my problem is that I want to see everything (but at a slow, leisurely pace so I can absorb it all). Italy was my first solo trip in 20 years so I ended up taking 3 and half days on my own and then a tour. I covered a lit of ground - which I liked and it was relaxing - but those 3 and half days in Rome were blissful. Where are you headed to?
Old May 22nd, 2017, 05:45 AM

I went to Prague last year and by far everyone'e favorite things we did was the Alchemy Museum, underground structures found after the floods in the early 2000s. Really cool architecture and history and doesn't take more than an hour

http://www.alchemiae.cz/en
Old May 22nd, 2017, 06:31 AM

We spent 4 nights in Prague in December and loved it. My favorite sight was Mucha's Slav Epic--breathtaking, mesmerizing. But the Strahov Monastery Library, the Castle complex, the walk around Old Town and the Jewish Ghetto, the food, the ballet, all of it was lovely and memorable. We stayed at the Archibald at the Charles which I found to be a perfect location for us. As first timers, we liked Rick Steves Pocket Prague.

http://herewegoagain-viennaprague201...-meet-you.html
Old May 22nd, 2017, 09:22 PM

the Slav Epic is a truly stannic piece of work, been to see it twice but sadly it has now moved and is on a your of the far east for the next couple of years, the athourities are still trying to find a permenant home for it
Old May 23rd, 2017, 05:37 AM

@unclegus, I'm so glad we saw it when we did! I sure hope they find a permanent home for it after the far east tour.
Old May 23rd, 2017, 06:57 AM

To echo a bunch of other posters, Prague Castle is worth the half day you'll spend there. Also, if you stay in Stare Mesto you can walk to virtually everything (though not the Slav Epic, I did not visit that but heard it's awesome). We climbed Petrin Hill and Tower, the view is pretty stunning. Walk across the Charles Bridge for sure (soft spot for me, my husband proposed there). We toured Josefov and would recommend it. The Spanish Synagogue was stunning and the Pinkas Synagogue is extremely moving. One of our favorite meals was actually a small Italian restaurant set back off a side street by Old Town Square called Giovanni Pizzeria Ristorante, the pizzas and pastas were excellent and super reasonable prices. Bottega di Finestra was another fave but pricier. For traditional Czech food, we loved Lokal (I think there's a few locations now, the one we went to was pretty far out from the city center). We also loved just sitting in Old Town Square with a drink and people watching the night away!
Have a blast, Prague is a stunning city!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -