Any info re: Hotel Muguet in Paris

Sep 5th, 2001, 08:12 AM
Stuart

Any info re: Hotel Muguet in Paris

I recall reading an article that listed "hotels de charme" in Paris, including the Muguet in the 7th> Does anyone know of this place?

Sep 5th, 2001, 08:15 AM
elaine

Hi
this is a much-praised hotel on this forum. Try doing a search on it here
and if the search function is working you will find many past messages on it.

Sep 5th, 2001, 08:23 AM
Topper

Stuart,
I topped a thread for you on this hotel......hope this helps.

Sep 5th, 2001, 09:05 AM
Donna

Hi Stuart! I stayed at the Muguet in early June (first trip to Paris). Although I am well aware that this particular hotel is highly praised on this forum, I was somewhat disappointed with certain aspects of this particular hotel. Overall, I would rate this hotel as being adequate. However, I did not let my personal experience with the hotel deter my trip to Paris. Please realize that I fully understand each traveler's expectations and experiences are unique and that this is just my personal opinion about this particular hotel. I feel that anyone who is doing hotel research should hear different opinions in order to make an informed decision. If you would like any specific details about the Muguet, feel free to e-mail me directly.

Sep 5th, 2001, 09:49 AM
xxx

Hi Donna

I think it would be useful for prospective visitors to Paris to post your specifics (pro and con) about the Muguet. All viewpoints are welcome here!

You mention that you "feel that anyone who is doing hotel research should hear different opinions in order to make an informed decision." I agree wholeheartedly! Let's hear yours!

Sep 5th, 2001, 10:13 AM
Nancy

Location can be everything. I love the Muget for its location and attentive service. While the rooms are plain and simple, if you don't spend hours in them but to sleep, they're a good value for where you're staying: Steps from the Invalides, the Rue Cler and a metro station, 15 minute walk to the Champs Elysee, 7 minute walk to the Eiffel Tower. You can see some photos of the property at http://www.parishotels.com/hotel.cgi...tier=3&lang=en. Good luck. Feel free to e-mail me if you have questions about Paris.

Sep 5th, 2001, 11:35 AM
Howard

Here's a shorter address: http://hotelmuguet.com

Sep 5th, 2001, 11:43 AM
Donna

Let me reiterate that these are my opinions, and I do not mean to offend anyone who has a differing viewpoint. Here are my comments. While I found the Hotel Muguet to be attractive and reasonably priced, overall I was rather disappointed. The rooms were indeed small, but that was not a problem. We expected smaller rooms. I did find the beds to be uncomfortable and much too short. I am 5'11" and my feet were hanging off the edge of the bed. The hotel is air conditioned, but at the time we stayed there, it seemed extremely inadequate. The rooms are very stuffy because of their small size. It was actually cooler with the window open, but the street noises were bothersome at times. The bathroom was more than adequate, although I must warn you that the bathtub is very tall. Be careful getting out! There was no shower curtain, only a half door. The hot water was plentiful and the towels are quite luxurious; they give you fresh ones everyday. The staff is cordial and pleasant, but I got the impression that they preferred to not stray from their usual routine if at all possible. One example: The pillows are very small and quite flat. When we inquired about getting two more pillows, they seemed unwilling to fulfill our request. We did ask again and they said they would send them up, but we never got them. We dropped the matter. The continental breakfast in the cafe is good, but try to get seating when they first start serving breakfast. The kitchen frequently ran out of food. The hotel was completely booked at this time and it is possible they underestimated the amount of food they needed. I would have to say that I would not stay here again. The rates, while not exorbitant, suggest a somewhat higher level of comfort than the hotel was able to provide. I originarlly did not want to post my comments because I did not want to offend anyone. But I realized that we all need to hear the pros and cons in order to make a decision. I hope my comments will be of help. Thanks for your time.

Sep 5th, 2001, 08:33 PM
xxx

Thanks, Donna for your specific points. That really helps those who may be making a decision about whether to stay at the Muguet. I did stay there in June 2000 and feel that your points are valid. I'm 5'2" so the beds were adequately long. We figured out that the windows (french doors, in our case) have little sensors on them and the AC doesn't work unless the windows are tightly closed. Our room had a (very small) shower, so we didn't encounter problems with the tub; the fluffy white towels were wonderful. We headed over to rue Cler for breakfast, but I have heard other travelers mention that the breakfast area was quite crowded.

Would we stay there again? I think so. I thought the price we paid (less than $85/double) was fair for what we got, and I especially loved our view of the top third of the Eiffel Tower from our room (53). Also loved the neighborhood ambience, but I know others prefer to be closer to the action.

Sep 6th, 2001, 02:20 PM
Tony

We stayed there in March and loved it. We didn't need air conditioning so I can't comment on that. The room was small, yes, but the bed more than adequate size and we found it comfortable. There was not a lot of space for clothes but we travel light anyway. We had a shower in our room, not a tub, and it was glassed in with a fairly small door and the shower was quite small, but very nice. The room was immaculate. We overlooked the garden and heard no street noise, there is hardly a street there at all, very little traffic, some foot traffic I suppose. Location was great near transportation, near Rue Cler, and other restaurants in the neighborhood. We are early risers so most always found room for breakfast when we ate at the hotel, but there are many other places nearby, anyway. Catherine was most accomodating and helpful. For around $80 we will surely stay there again without hesitation. I can't think of any other cities in Europe where one can find such nice accomodations for the price as Paris.

Sep 6th, 2001, 05:31 PM
Mare

My husband and I are booked into this hotel next month. I am concerned because we booked the last available room. They didn't have any more with "queen" beds, so we rented what they refer to as a "large" bed. One of my guideboooks (who recommended this hotel) mentioned that some of the double beds were not wide enough for two people. Can anyone elaborate on this?

Sep 6th, 2001, 11:41 PM
Patti Suttle

Our group of 10 stayed at the Muguet in early July and loved it. We thought it was charming and the location was great for us-none of us are into the party scene. We loved the Rue Cler-we all went there a lot. Our single ladies felt safe there. They were great to me there when I locked (by mistake) my passport into the room safe and had not made a code for myself (really dumb!!).
I was embarassed but they were great.
Our room (with a full view of the Eiffel Tower) was big, the bathroom was sparkling and the towels were fluffy and HUGE.I don't think all the rooms are big though. We will stay there again on our next trip to Paris (whenever that is!).

Sep 7th, 2001, 05:38 AM
Gretchen

Stayed at the Muguet in March and going back in October. It is a 2*, newly renovated (still working on it in March), located 2 blocks from 2 Metros, charming neighborhood with absolutely some outstanding restaurants, staff is very pleasant and helpful (some speak English). Dont be concerned about "1 large bed"--that is what we had and it was fine (I am 5/8" and husband +6'). We don't go to Paris to hang out in our hotel room--there is a lot more to do! What a bargain for <$80/night (at today's rates).

Sep 7th, 2001, 06:59 AM
Roy Corbett

Gretchen could you name some ot the restaurants that you found close to the Muguet?

Sep 7th, 2001, 09:21 AM
Donna

We've found Hotel Muguet to be just fine in every way, especially the location and value for the dollar. To Roy: There are fabulous restaurants in every direction. Best to walk all over, peruse menus, have a look inside. Many fill every night for dinner, so it's best to books at least one day ahead. And, it's best to check hours so as not to return on a Saturday night to find it closed for lunch and/or dinner.

Sep 7th, 2001, 10:11 AM
Mare

Thanks, Gretchen. That makes me feel a little better! Maybe we will see you there in October.

Sep 7th, 2001, 10:32 AM
s.fowler

Mais oui, M. Grasshopper! Actually I think it is because the wine relaxes you and at that point the vocabulary etc.. are not blocked by your fear of making a mistake However...... TOO much wine is another matter altogether.

Sep 7th, 2001, 11:01 AM
s.fowler

Sheeesh -- wrong thread And no -- I haven't had any wine yet