Reload this Page >

Any Help re PARIS would be great

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2002, 07:06 PM
Elizabeth

Hi; Traveling to Paris this September. 1st time for both my best friend and myself. 7 nites @ Hotel Familia. Lots of good info here on the boards but, I can always use more! Thanks.

Old May 17th, 2002, 07:58 PM
yeah right

You're staying too long in that hotel. It's good, but the room will be small. 3 days in, move to a different hotel in a different part of the city for a change of room and pace.<BR><BR>7 days in that hotel and the Latin Quarter will be too much. Trust me.

Old May 17th, 2002, 10:43 PM
Ron Christmas

The above message is very true. The people that run Familia are very friendly and helpful but after a few days in the very small rooms you will wish you had something a little more comfortable. We stayed there ten days in January and while Paris is always great you begin to dread going back to that very small room. If possible, see if you can get #52 as it is the largest room and has a nice balcony.<BR>Enjoy Paris no matter the size of your hotel room--you will!

Old May 17th, 2002, 11:50 PM
Denise

Familia is nice for a novice for a few nights. But for ten days, you can get a decent apartment for about 60 Euros a night. Be daring and crawl out of your comfortable shell if you wish to grow as a traveler.<BR><BR>DD

Old May 18th, 2002, 05:14 AM
Sceptical

Denise: I have done a LOT of research on apts. in Paris and can't imagine where you think someone could stay for 10 days for $600. Most start in the $900 range, even studios are seldom less than $750...and that's for a week! (I'm talking prices for shoulder and high season). And the prices just go up from there...it's like hotels, you can spend as much as you can stomach. If you have some secret source, please share with the rest of us. Although my guess is, you haven't booked a Paris apt. in a VERY long time.

Old May 18th, 2002, 06:01 AM
Peg

I've gotten some great deals at aparisianhome.com. Rates vary according to how large the apt is and location. Always check for elevator in bldg if that's important to you and any other "must have" amenities. I've used them four times and have never been disappointed.

Old May 18th, 2002, 06:07 AM
elaine

Hi Elizabeth<BR>I have a file on Paris; if you'd like to see it, email me.

Old May 18th, 2002, 06:14 AM
kate

http://www.hoteldanube.fr/htgb/frameset.htm<BR><BR>This is a charming hotel right in the middle of the best of the LEft Bank.The staff is friendly and helpful,you are only blocks away from the Seine and the pont to walk across to the Louvre.<BR>If you cannot afford a better/larger hotel,sometimes it is better to stay less time and go for a more expensive hotel.If you are uncomfortable in your hotel,your entire trip could be made miserable.<BR>Go through guide books like Access Paris and Rough Guides.They will give you good advice as to where is less costly and still comfy.<BR>Also - try to look into Guy Lessac -Left bank Hotel,near the Luxembourg Gardens.clean,spacious and attractive rooms.in the Marais, is the Grand Hotel Jeanne d'Arc,well kept and a fabulous deal.The Style Hotel near Montmartre is inexpensive clean and pretty and serves breakfast in a little garden in warm weather.Good luck & have a wonderful time in my favorite city~Kate

Old May 18th, 2002, 06:15 AM
more hotelsTo

http://www.myhotelinparis.com/hotels/021.htm

Old May 18th, 2002, 06:34 AM
Louie

Denise<BR><BR>What an arrogant putz you sound like telling someone to crawl out of their shell as though you are the only free spirit in the universe.<BR><BR>Elizabeth -7 nights in Paris will probably turn you into a Parisite like Denise. Be careful, you don't want to become a know it all, "I'm better than you type", do you? Look what it did to her ability to figure out cost. I bet she has a tattoo too. Says, "Skater Girl". She thinks it's very cool.

Old May 18th, 2002, 06:57 AM
Barb

Hi Elizabeth,<BR>I am renting an apartment in Paris for a week this July and I too spent a loooong time on the net before I found one in my price range. It is at the Paris border in Boulogne, about a 15 min Metro ride from Paris city center. I am paying in total about $445 US for seven nights. I just checked and it is wide open for September. <BR>Check it out at www.vrbo.com/vrbo/11291.htm<BR>If you have any questions,let me know on this board and I can e-mail you privately if you wish.<BR>Hope this helps.<BR>Barb

Old May 18th, 2002, 08:16 AM
Betsy

Why is everyone going on and on about the size of Elizabeth's room? She didn't ask about that. Yeah the room is real small, I hope you and your best friend travel well together. If you do the room won't be a problem If you don't, well goodluck and Godspeed. What kind of advice about Paris are you looking for? Restaurants? Sights? Shopping? 7 days in Paris is a wonderful amount of time. Take a day trip to Versailles, or Reims or Chartre or Giverny. Go to the "top 40" sights, but take time to wander also. Have a good guide book that suits your age and interests. Lonely Planet books have different info than say a Fodor's book. A touring company called Bullfrog gives great bike tours of Paris if you enjoy bikes you'd probably like their tours. There's a lot to say, and it helps to know the sort of advice you're looking for, otherwise tangents like the one above take over.<BR>Happy Travels

Old May 18th, 2002, 08:33 AM
Elizabeth

Thanks all for the info, special thanks to Betsy! Yeah I got scared for a minute, thought I made a huge error. I want to be in a very central, safe area with lots of little cafes(I drink alot of coffee!!)We are planning a day trip to Versailles hope to make the festival there on the 7th. So, info on other hotels (cheap)would be greatly appreciated and/or the festival. Thanks to all again.

Old May 18th, 2002, 08:56 AM
lazy

why does everyone insist on reccomending an apt. if someone is willing to pay for a hotel room, they may not want or need to save money. For me, I do not want to make beds, wash dishes , clean a bathroom ,prepare food, or pick up on vacation.

Old May 18th, 2002, 10:06 AM
It'llDoFine

Ignore the wisenheimers, you'll find plenty to keep you busy for a week in Paris based at the Latin Quarter. Request the bigger room, but if you don't get it, no big whoop. Get out and live in the city, not in your hotel room. So much to do in that area, too, and weather in Sept is usually good. By staying in one hotel for a week, you might be able to get free breakfasts included in your rate plan. Sometime this is shown in your internet package deal or you can ask.

Old May 18th, 2002, 10:57 AM
Nancy

Another vote for staying in one place. Can't imagine anyone wanting to bother with checking out of one hotel and checking into another one. That's one whole day wasted for no good reason. You don't need to change hotels to see different parts of the city. Have a great trip.

Old May 18th, 2002, 12:43 PM
Nikki

I stayed at the Familia with my college aged daughter in March for five nights. Sure, the room was small, but we loved the neighborhood and didn't get to do everything we wanted to in that amount of time. Staying in one place for several days, you can feel like you really get to know the neighborhood. And the price was certainly right, allowing us to have wonderful dinners at some of the MANY local restaurants. <BR><BR>We always ate within a five minute walk of the hotel. Never ran out of places to go. Wish we could have tried more of them. The staff at the Familia recommended two restaurants which I had not seen in any research and which were both wonderful, Le Bistro des Cigales and La Maree Verte.<BR><BR>Don't miss the Maison Kayser bakery on rue Monge.<BR><BR>As for the neighborhood being central and safe, it surely felt that way to us. Two nearby metro lines going anywhere in the city. Plenty of people walking alone at all hours. Easy stroll to Notre Dame, wonderful street markets in several directions. <BR><BR>I can understand the appeal of trying a couple of neighborhoods while in Paris, and each time I have gone there, I have stayed in a different one, but I wouldn't feel deprived or bored to spend a whole week in the Latin Quarter.

Old May 18th, 2002, 12:58 PM
Statia

Here's another vote for staying in one place. My husband and I also stayed in a rather small hotel in the Latin Quarter and it was perfect. We didn't really care about the size of the room since we were only there to sleep anyhow.<BR><BR>Also, we loved the area. Lots of great coffee shops and nightlife. I'd stay in the Latin Quarter again.<BR><BR>Enjoy Paris Elizabeth!

Old May 18th, 2002, 02:42 PM
Elizabeth

Thanks to all! I needed the confidence boost! I might be able to get a room at the des grande ecoles, so I'll see what happens. I think either hotel will fill my needs. My experience in life has always been live and learn so... Any info on the Festival in Versailles? Thanks.

Old May 18th, 2002, 02:49 PM
beth anderson

why would you move your stuff around? once I am where I am, unless I am miserable, no way am I lugging my bags again until it is time to go home. (or move on).<BR><BR>Familia will be fine. You can always request a bigger room from them. but really how much time are you spending in the room? It's in a nice convenient location so I wouldn't bother changing.<BR><BR>beth

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -