Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Any harm in skipping the first half of a Thalys ticket?

Jan 16th, 2007, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

As I posted a while ago, I purchases Cologne-Paris roundtrip tickets on Thalys.com . I chose the option to print out tickets at home. The to/from tickets are separate pages.

So far as I know, there won't be any impediments to making the trip, but weather has been so crazy lately I want to be prepared for various contingencies. Suppose I miss the Cologne-Paris leg. Is there any way this would prevent me from taking the Paris-Cologne leg, like it does with roundtrip airfares?
Jan 16th, 2007, 08:01 AM
lawchick

No problem - just bring both tickets with you as sometimes - ie if its a very cheap fare - it is supposed to be both ways. (They really just want to make sure you haven't given away/sold one half) but this check hardly ever happens.

Jan 16th, 2007, 08:12 AM

No, because you don't "check in" for the train - the SNCF/Thalys can't know whether you have taken the first leg or not.
Jan 16th, 2007, 09:05 AM

Yes or No,
Yes if it is a specific Return discount, you have to show both tickets and the first one has to be validated (by the conductor)
No if it is a full price ticket (since it doesn't make any price difference there is no checking anbout the 1st leg)
You can throw away the return part f a discounted return ticket, not the 1st one.
I've seen more than one person obliged to buy a new full price ticket plus a fine in the Thalys.
If you miss your train and your ticket is exchangeable - you can change the 1st part in the station and keep the second part (with a small fee).
Else you can go at the ticket at the counter to se what is possible.
Jan 16th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

Norween, this is a discounted return ticket. So it does sound that if I'm very unlucky and miss the first leg (which I'd have to be - it's 27 hours after landing), I'm out of luck.
Jan 16th, 2007, 11:08 AM
ira

Hey will,

If you end up 27 hr late, you probably didn't make the plane at all.

Don't worry and enjoy your visit.

Jan 16th, 2007, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Ira, true enough, but you know how weather has been lately, and mostly I'm just good at worrying about unlikely things .
Jan 26th, 2007, 09:11 PM

WillTravel, I am looking to do the exact same thing, purchase a ticket from Thalys.com from Cologne to Paris. I want to book a SMYLS (sp?) roundtrip ticket and discard the second half as we are flying home from Paris. Even buying the roundtrip and throwing away half is cheaper than buy a one-way. Did you have any problems buying and printing online? I would say I live in Germany as we will be there for a time first but still print them at home.

The agent I was talking to about buying a German train pass, a Eurail sales agency, offered to scout them out and buy them for me but I'm wondering if he would charge me a fee for that.

Anyway just wondering if anyone can see any problem doing that.
Jan 27th, 2007, 07:31 AM
ira

Hi CR,

If you use the first half of the ticket, no one will know or care if you used the second half.

Jan 27th, 2007, 07:37 AM

That's what I thought. Thanks