Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Any good destinations by train between York and Edinburgh?

Any good destinations by train between York and Edinburgh?

Jun 11th, 2004, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Any good destinations by train between York and Edinburgh?

I'll be taking the train from York to Edinburgh and would like to spend 1 or 2 nights somewhere else. I'll be travelling by train and would consider somewhere between York and Edinburgh, or an hour or so past Edinburgh.

I was considering Berwick-on-Tweed or Dunkeld, but can't find enough info on them to convince me they'll be worthwhile stops.

We're not planning on any nature-walks, but would like a picturesque town with some choices for shopping or markets and modern pub food. (In my head I picture a miniature York!) I just don't want to be forced to eat at the B&B every night and turn in before 7PM.

Any ideas? Travel guides never connect the dots between the two Cities... there must be something.

Jun 11th, 2004, 01:30 PM

Durham. The Cathedral is superb and it is a university town. Michelin guide says it's "worth a journey", their highest accolade.
Jun 11th, 2004, 01:30 PM

Durham is on the train route which you will take, and comes quite close to being a 'mini-York'.

It is a small, historic, pretty university town and has a very impressive cathedral and a castle to see. There is a small shopping area with all the usual high street shops and a few boutiques.

Newcastle, which is the next major stop on the train route, is a larger city and better for shopping if that's your priority. It also has art galleries, several theatres and good nightlife. It isn't similar to York in terms of atmosphere though - it has more of a big city feel.

My recommendation would be to visit Durham for one night, and save the major shopping for York and Edinburgh, both of which are very good for shopping.
Jun 11th, 2004, 02:12 PM

Ditto on Durham. In my estimation its cathedral beats that of York, Notre Dame, even Westminster Abbey - it's majestic and inspirational. Visit its website at www.durhamcathedral.co.uk. The town is as described above, and easily walkable. We stayed at the Georgian Town House, a B&B that was accessible to everything by foot and perfect for a one-night stay (we were on our way from Manchester via York, to Edinburgh).
Jun 11th, 2004, 02:22 PM

There's a delightful island with an old castle, and some un-noteworthy hotels, however, it is rather beautiful - you drive along a tidal causeway to reach it!

I believe it is off of the A1 before you reach the Scottish border. I'd be grateful if someone could remind me of the name of this island.

Berwick is certainly worth having a look at.

I'd really like to recommend that you drive from York to Edinburgh as you will find many attractions enroute, it allows you greater flexability if you are confident to drive in the UK.
Jun 11th, 2004, 02:49 PM

That would be Lindisfarne, or the Holy Isle, a place of some importance in the history of Britain.

Just south of which is Bamburgh, with a castle-over-football-field vista that is one of the best in Europe.

But from the criteria listed by the OP it's got to be Durham.
Jun 11th, 2004, 02:52 PM

Lindisfarne it is - highly recommended.
Jun 12th, 2004, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

I'm loving the suggestions, keep them coming... However, I don't think driving this trip will be a possibility, we have a family wedding to attend in Leeds, more family to visit in London and not enough time to do it in. I can spare only about 5 days for side trips (which 3 in Edinburgh are already planned).

Although I've been in Canada most of my life, I was born in Durham and have been there for a visit about 10 years ago. Although I will go back, I don't think it will be this year.

We need a mini-getaway without the bustle of Edinburgh, but not dead. Anything by the water would be even more special...
Jun 12th, 2004, 08:36 AM

A short train ride north of Edinburg is Leuchars, the station that services St. Andrews. From Leuchars it is a couple of mile to St. Andrews by bus or taxi. Lots to see other than the golf courst. Tons of B&B's, good dining and in generaly a very nice place for a night.
Jun 12th, 2004, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

Is this a possibility? From your comments, I'm wondering en-route from York, if I could get a ticket to Berwick-upon-Tweed that allowed a stop in Durham. I could spend several hours there and continue my journey to stay a couple of nights in Berwick. As a side-trip I could take the bus to Lindisfarne from Berwick. The bus schedule seems to only run on Wednesdays and Saturdays in September, but I could probably make it work if I plan this right.

Second question... the return bus from Lindisfarne is about 5 hours after you get dropped of, so is there enough to see there in 5 hours? This is if I'm reading the very confusing time-tables correctly.

Thanks everyone.
Jun 12th, 2004, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

P.S. I see that I could also take a bus to Alnwick. Would you recommend this as worthy of spending an hour to get there?

Thanks.

Search this Thread