Search

UK trip itinerary for May...please comment

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UK trip itinerary for May...please comment

Hi!

This is our plan for the May UK trip....please advise.
May 5: Reach London in the eve--staying with friends
May6/7/8: See London and around
May 9/10:Fly to Edinburgh and stay overnite
May 11/12:Reach Manchester and stay overnite
May 13/14:Reach Yorkshire in the morning and spend time with cousins
May 15/16: Cardiff
May 17:Go back to London
May 18: Fly back home

Is this doable? I need to spend time in London with friends and Rural Yorkshire (Barnsley) with some relatives....rest all is flexible.

Please help.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 09:19 AM

1) Why are you flying to Edinburgh from London - train costs from £13.50 one way & takes under 5 hours. The cost of getting to & from airports alone will be as much, if not more than that, and you don't save much in overall travel time

2) Why go from Edinburgh to Manchester to Yorkshire to Cardiff, I'd be going Edinburgh to Barnsley via York, then across to Manchester then to Cardiff - but Cardiff is a sod to get to overland, so unless you've got a really good reason for going there, I'd pass on it

3) It may be easier to get the train to Cardiff from London, then fly to Edinburgh
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 01:57 PM

Hi
Why are you going to Manchester? I would go by train from Edinburgh to York and stay over there before going on to Barnsley. York is a walled city with a lovely cathedral, an outdoor market, museums and narrow streets. To check out travel times between Edinburgh/York York/Barnsley and York/Cardiff have a look at www.traveline.org.uk

Enjoy your trip.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 02:10 PM

I'm not sure why you want to do Manchester either, and I'd suggest that York is far more tempting.

Flying is sensible, a train is boring, ignore that comment. Money isn't everything.

It's certainly doable, and you've obviously spent time thinking about it. Good luck and enjoy your trip!
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 08:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks alanRow,uklady and m_kingdom2.It's only because of people like you that I am able to plan this trip inspite of crazy workload .

Have couple of more queries:

1.Is it possible to use Barnsley(South Yorkshire) as a base to see Yorkshire ? What are the "must see".Or should I halt a nite in York?Am planning to skip Manchester like most of you suggested.
2.The train from London to Edinburgh-is it a scenic journey?I would love to take the train then...I somehow assumed it will be much more expensive.Can you please help me where to find those £13.50 fares?
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 11:27 PM

You'd be mad to go Standard (i.e. 2nd) class on a train. The carriages are always crowded, and there's no at seat service for food - only a trolley for drinks and sandwiches that look like they couldn't be any drier if you'd left them in an oven for a couple of years.

I've checked the best web-site for tickets and for 29.50 you can have a first class fare one-way. However, as for scenic, green fields do get boring after nearly five hours. You have wasted a considerable part of your day. Flying takes well under and hour, so even with journey times to and from the airport, a little over three hours is the result.

You're much better off flying as you originally intended.

As for staying the night in York, have a look into that and see how feasible it is for you. If Manchesters easier, then it's no great tragedy as it's only a night after all.
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 01:23 AM

Hi Shilpi,
Contrary to what alanRow says, Cardiff is certainly not "A sod" to get to overland, in fact it is in fact no more difficult than any major Capital city that has a motorway going into it.

Your itinary does seem to bob about a bit.

How about this:
May 5: Reach London in the eve--staying with friends
May6/7/8 : See London and around
May 9/10 : Drive or train to Cardiff and stay overnite
May 11/12: Drive or train to Manchester and stay overnite
May 13/14: Reach Yorkshire in the morning and spend time with cousins (train or car?)
May 15/16: Train to Edinburgh and stay overnite
May 17:Fly back to London or fly home from Edinburgh on May 18th

However I do think you are going to too many places.
UK is not as easy to commute around as you may think, roads are crowded and train service is perhaps not as effective as it should be.
You do seem to be travelling more than enjoying the places that you want to see.
So in 2 weeks to get through London,Cardiff,Manchester Barnsley and Edingburgh is doable but you will be on the road for a big chunk of that.

Let me know what plans you have for Cardiff and I hopefully can help..it's my home city.

Good Luck

Muck
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 01:40 AM
Original Poster

Hi!

Muck:Thanks for offering to help for Cardiff.Any suggestions for places to stay?Anything around £60/70 for double?

Am planning to drop Manchester and add those 2 days to Barsley and Edinburgh.

Does that sound better?
Also, is the Barnsley area worth staying that long (can I use it as a base to explore Yorkshire?)

Old Apr 4th, 2006, 03:18 AM

Mucky, Cardiff is a sod to get to if you are travelling from the North of England using public transport.

By train it's 4 hours from Manchester & about the same from Barnsley & unless OP is very lucky it will involve 2 changes of train

That's why I suggested OP first goes to Cardiff from London & then flies to Edinburgh
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 03:34 AM
Original Poster

Who is OP?

Old Apr 4th, 2006, 04:25 AM

Alan,
I would have said that most places are a sod to get to from Northern England via Public transport. I wouldn't have said Cardiff was any worse.

Muck
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 04:34 AM

Presumably you will want to be in the city center?
Do you have any ideas of what you want to see?
In city center:
http://www.thebigsleephotel.com/thebigsleephotel.htm

http://www.travelodge.co.uk/find_a_h...CardiffCentral

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/hi/925/en/hd/cdfcy

http://www.ibishotel.com/ibis/ficheh...he_hotel.shtml

Ok these are fairly basic hotels, pretty good value, but not all have breakfast, but they are central and should be in your price range and close to restaurants etc..

Good Luck

Muck

Old Apr 4th, 2006, 06:22 AM

Shilpi, OP is you! (Original Poster, ie, the person who originally posted the question)
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 06:50 AM

Hi,
if you are going to Cardiff then you HAVE to visit Swansea...It's only an hour on the train which costs about £5 and is the REAL Welsh Capital. The weather is warming up here now and Swansea has world renowned beaches and coast line that Cardiff simply does not have (the Gower)...if you really want a taste of Wales...visit Swansea.
Good luck, Lea Lea xx
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 07:12 AM

Lea_Lea
Swansea is the REAL Welsh Capital?? lololololol

I don't think so, but I agree that the Gower is wonderful.
Ps: Do not wear that T shirt !!
;-)

Muck
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 07:30 PM
Original Poster

Hi!
Noe847:Thanks for enlightening me....I guess I have loads to learn on this forum!

Lea_Lea: Will definitely try Swansea also...can you please tell me what train/bus to take from Cardiff?Should I stay there instead of Cadiff?

Muck: Thanks for all the acco help for Cardiff.The Big Sleep sounded good but trip advisor has a couple of disastrous review for this in March 2006.Any idea if they have recently gone bad?

I still need help with folowing:

1.Is the Barnsley area worth staying that long (can I use it as a base to explore Yorkshire?)What are the "must see".Or should I halt a nite in York?
2.The train from London to Edinburgh-is it a scenic journey?I would love to take the train then...I somehow assumed it will be much more expensive.Can you please help me where to find those £13.50 fares?

Am lost with the train thing still...please help.
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 08:22 PM

Skip Barnsley as a base as it is not a good base to see Yorkshire as it is an hour drive from the Dales and North Yorkshire moors, Whitby etc. Stay in York and train to Edinbutgh. I really think that as nice as Wales may be you are trying to do far too muchjust for one night in Cardiff
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 11:16 PM

Forget the train, it isn't scenic - green fields will all look alike after an hour or so. As for the fares, I told you where you can get a 29.50 first class fare - you don't want to sit in 2nd class for five hours. It will spoil the rest of your day.

Fly like you originally intended, you can't see much from a train going at 100MPH (if you're lucky and it's not delayed), you're just wasting your time.

Old Apr 5th, 2006, 01:24 AM

Not sure about the big sleep reviews, John Malkovich the Hollywood actor is a pro active partner and I hear its good value and an interesting place to stay although I have never been there to stay.
Swansea is about an hour further than Cardiff and the City itself in my humble opinion has little to rave about,(my son is in Swansea University) however the beach is quite pleasant and the Gower penninsula is beautiful and worth visiting if you had the time.

Driving around the Gower can be slow, so if time is limited I would simply stay in Cardiff area there is plenty to do and see.

Good Luck

Muck
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 04:19 AM

Yeah, Swansea City isn't the most interesting but the Gower is def. worth a look if you have time...Langland Beach, Caswell Beach, Port Eynon etc are all great.
(Going there myself this afternoon for a drive!)
Train times and tickets are at: http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/
That's where I get mine from when I travel.
Bus:
http://www.nationalexpress.com
You don't really have to stay in Swansea if you don't want to but you could stay over night if you wanted to see a lot of the Gower...I often go for day trips to Cardiff so the distance is not a problem...depends on how much time you want to spend in each place really.
Hope that helps!!
Lea Lea

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -