Any Downloadable travel guides?

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 08:27 AM
Yvonne

Any Downloadable travel guides?

Just getting into the whole PDA thing and was wondering if there are any downloadable travel guides floating around. Can downlad some individual things, but organizing them can be a pain. Any suggestions?

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 08:30 AM
yo

Hay, y, don't tell us which cities or which pda you have. Make us all guess!

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 09:04 AM
Yvonne

I have a new Palm m130. Plan to travel to Italy and France.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 09:25 AM
Joe

Yvonne: Try www.jack-travel.com. He writes with authority about Belgium and has begun to include other locations in Europe. I know he has done Venice and I believe Paris. When we went to Belgium in May, we printed off his whole section on that country and his recommendations for hotels, restaurants and things to see/do were great.

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 09:11 PM
Ying

Yvonne: I hope it's not too late for you. I too was looking for PDA users for other info which I will ask later.<BR><BR>I do not know if M130 works the same as Vx. I have used Vx for the past 3 years. The only way I know how is to &quot;hi-lite&quot; the whole text, click copy and paste into &quot;Word&quot; or &quot;Excel&quot; (assume you have these 2 or one of the 2). You can do both but use a different file name. I'll explain later why I use both. Now you have the whole text in Word or Excel, you can delete or add whatever you want. When you find another article that you like, you do the same using the same file name. I use word for info, and seperate file name for each city.<BR><BR>I have copied and pasted a lot of info and I condensed it into what I really like for each place that I plan to visit in chronological order. You can move the information around to your liking in Word.<BR><BR>I put my schedule, timetables and all my hotel reservations/confirmations from emails in chronological order into Excel. Once it's in your computer, you just hotsync it into your PDA.<BR><BR>The advantage to carry a PDA beside the obvious, is you can use it as watch, alarm clock, reminds you when to take you medication. Where you're supposed to be at what time, such as your advanced reservation to the Borghese that you made before you left the States 3 weeks ago.<BR><BR>Since I have a lot of important and confidential info in my Vx, I make sure I don't lose or get picked. Wear it around your nect and tuck it inside your shirt.<BR><BR>Now my questions to other PDA users who live in Italy or just returned from Italy: Where can I find a place or internet cafe that I can hotsync my PDA in Milan, Venice, Florence &amp; Rome? I am sure the 5* or business hotels may have it. But which one? I was in Europe last year, none of the 7 countries I went, was I able to find any place I could hotsync or even used the infrared to obtain local info or news. <BR><BR>Ying

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 12:36 PM
Topper

Ying how do you transfer Word doc.Nothing in Palm Hanbook?

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 08:21 PM
try Fodor's

I believe that Fodor's was making some of their guides available as E-books in the early days of the technology and would guess that they also have at least some of their compiled info available for PDA, things like restaurant reviews with locations and phone numbers. Of course, I could be dreaming.

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 08:55 PM
Ying

Topper: I assumed you have the Palm Desktop Software (which came with your Palm) installed in your computer. I use the cradle (which you have to buy seperately) hooked up with my computer to hotsync.<BR><BR>Step by step:<BR><BR>1. Open the Word program.<BR>2. Open the text (or data) you wish to transfer.<BR>3. Highlight the text you wish to transfer, either all of your document or a portion of it.<BR>4. Copy the highlighted text.<BR>5. Open the Palm desktop.<BR>6. Open a new Memo file or an existing Memo file where you wish to place your text.<BR>7. Put the Palm cursor at the point of placement.<BR>8. Paste the Word text. (Note - Palm has a limit of 4,000 bytes in a single Memo. If you have a larger Memo, then break it up into pieces.)<BR>9. Hotsync to your Palm. <BR>10. Enjoy.<BR><BR>From your Palm into Word:<BR>1. Open the Palm desktop.<BR>2. Open the Memo category that contains the Memo file with the desired text.<BR>3. Put your mouse cursor over the name of the Memo file with the desired text.<BR>4. Drag the name of the file to the Word icon on the Palm desktop.<BR>5. Edit your Word document to suit.<BR>6. Enjoy.<BR><BR>Alternate from your Palm into Word when you wish to transfer just a portion of a Palm Memo:<BR>1. Open the Palm desktop.<BR>2. Open the Memo file with the desired text.<BR>3. Highlight the text you wish to transfer.<BR>4. Copy the highlighted text.<BR>5. Open the Word program.<BR>6. Paste the copied text into Word Program.<BR>7. Edit your Word document to suit.<BR>8. Enjoy.<BR><BR>You may wonder why one needs to transfer from Palm to Word! In case you want to obtain your friend's itinerary or any other documents, he has it in his Palm and he beams it into your Palm, (assume you are sitting next to each other.) You take it home, transfer into your computer and Print it out!<BR><BR>Besides the cradle, I also found the expandable Palm keyboard is quite handy.<BR><BR>Ying

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 07:23 AM
Topper

Many thaks Ying for sharing your expertise with a novice.<BR>Your step by step directions simlified carrying out this procedure.<BR>The reason this post caught my attention was that I tried to download a Demo. Version from Michelin of their Red Book but on doing so my Palm had this message &quot;Error loading data&quot;<BR>but when I went to delete it 237K was shown to be installed. Any thoughts about why info. didn't appear.<BR>Thanks again for all your help.