Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Any difficulty driving from Opatija to Bohinj?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2019, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are renting a car and I've looked at prices. There is a wide discrepancy between a manual vs. automatic. My husband would prefer an automatic, understandably, especially if the drive includes lots of mountains and not so good roads. He would use a manual, which he has driven before but only rarely, but doesn't want to deal with it if it's difficult. The price difference is $183 vs. $404!
Any opinions?
Old Jul 12th, 2019, 08:46 AM

Since 99% of cars in Europe are stick shift, automatic is a luxury. Locals rent stick shift cars they're used to driving. The rental agencies keep the few automatic cars to milk American drivers. It's up to you whether that price difference is worth it for your comfort and safety.

About the drive.

No difficulty. Remember that road tolls are collected in Slovenia through a vignette(a sticker) system. Failing to buy one will get you fined.

https://www.slovenia.info/en/plan-yo...lovenia-by-car

Google suggests the shortest drive from Opatija to Lake Bohinj is 185 km via Ljubljana and Bled, this shouldn't take more than 3 hours.

If you're not in a hurry(Why should you be, you're on holiday after all!) and enjoy driving scenic roads I have a better route for you:

https://goo.gl/maps/BnSgFWACqJYpSHyL9

It's about 170 km drive on scenic(but narrow and winding) country roads with only local traffic to Most na Soci. Why Most na Soci? - You may be asking?

In Most na Soci you can board a car-carrying shuttle train taking you and your car across the beautiful Julian Alps and via a long tunnel to Bohinjska Bistrica - a short drive from Lake Bohinj.

Sure, this takes longer than taking the motorway via Ljubljana, but it is so much more fun. You can relax and enjoy the scenery instead of driving.

https://www.slo-zeleznice.si/en/pass...table/motorail

To break the long drive stop buy spectacular Predjamski Grad - a castle built inside a cave opening, an iconic sight of Slovenia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predjama_Castle

With an early start from Opatija, you may even stop in Postojna and tour the world famous cave.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postojna_Cave

Last edited by BDKR; Jul 12th, 2019 at 08:59 AM.
Old Jul 12th, 2019, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! I will check all of these out. I think my husband is hesitant about using a stick shift in the mountains and that's what's bothering him.
Old Jul 12th, 2019, 12:25 PM

I have driven to Bohinj and to Opatija but not on the same trip. ;-) From Opatija to Slovenia is going to be mostly highway (yes, be SURE to buy a vignette at the border!!!). The drive on to Bohinj may be on smaller roads. I've always found driving in Slovenia and Croatia pretty easy, even on the narrow ones. Just take your time.

I have had a car at home with automatic transmission for almost twenty year, but I grew up driving a manual, and it always comes right back to me when I rent a car in Europe with a manual transmission. I suspect the same will be true with your husband. In fact, I kind of enjoy it. Just tell him to take it easy and try not to be in a hurry or rushing, and you/he will be fine.

Be sure to get an International Driving Permit (IDP) to drive in Slovenia - not sure if one is needed in Croatia anymore. But it doesn't hurt to have one - about $20 USD from AAA. The rental car company won't need it, but if you get stopped by the police expect to show it along with your passport.
Old Jul 12th, 2019, 04:31 PM
kja

Not a difficulty per se, but traffic around Rijeka can become monstrously snarled at busy times.

Originally Posted by Dianedancer
My husband would prefer an automatic, understandably
I strongly prefer a manual.
Old Jul 15th, 2019, 06:18 AM

200 is not a big difference when you consider the entire trip cost. I would do whatever the driver is most comfortable with.
Old Jul 18th, 2019, 05:31 AM
Original Poster

Do we have to get the vignette for Slovenia before we cross over into Slovenia from Croatia so that we have it upon entering Slovenia? Where can we get one?
Old Jul 18th, 2019, 06:20 AM

You need it only if you drive on motorways. Normal highways are free,

When you enter Slovenia from Opatija on the highway no. 6 you don't need a vignette since it's not a motorway. If you drive the route I suggested to Bohinj you don't need a vignette. If you need it later you can buy it at any service station in Slovenia.
Old Jul 18th, 2019, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Dianedancer
Do we have to get the vignette for Slovenia before we cross over into Slovenia from Croatia so that we have it upon entering Slovenia? Where can we get one?
Buy the vignette at a gas station at the border. Even though you do only need it on the highways, most likely you'll be driving on one in Slovenia, so you might as well buy one right away and not risk not having one (what if you get on the highway without meaning to?) You should be able to buy one on the Croatian side near the border too.

I have read that some border crossings between Slovenia and Croatia only allow EU citizens to pass, so be careful about taking some smaller road your GPS might guide you to.