Driving, Bus, or Train in Slovenia???

Mar 20th, 2004, 01:28 AM
Original Poster

Driving, Bus, or Train in Slovenia???

We will be flying into Klagenfurt in May to travel into Slovenia. Our first stop is the capital, LJU for four nights and then onto Lake Bled. What would you recommend for travelling? Is it easy to get around with the public transportation and is it reasonable? Also, would you recommend renting a car in Klagenfurt or travelling into Slovenia and renting the car from there? There seems to be an additional surcharge added on in Klagenfurt if you take it into Slovenia? Any assistance would be appreciated.

Apr 7th, 2004, 06:25 AM

Hello,
We have covered Slovenia extensively in these two travelogues:
http://www.thetravelzine.com/slovenia6991.htm
http://www.thetravelzine.com/slovenia1.htm

Regards,
Don and Linda
http://www.thetravelzine.com
Non-commercial
Apr 19th, 2004, 08:19 AM

I just got my internation drivers permit last week as I will be in Italy during the month of May. I noticed that it is not recognized in Slovenia. What does that mean, exactly?
Apr 19th, 2004, 09:35 AM

Hi, We were in Slovenia in October 2002 travelling by bus and train which was very inexpensive and perfectly convenient for us. We were based in Lake Bled and took day trips from there. I wrote a fairly detailed trip report which you can find by doing a keyword search under 'linawood' and scrolling down to about number 13 to the Slovenia trip report. However, we noticed that the roads were so empty and the traffic so light that even we would be comfortable driving. We are tentatively planning to return to that area in the fall and would probably rent a car there. Hope this helps.
Apr 19th, 2004, 05:07 PM

Several times we have rented cars in Italy and drove to Slovenia & Croatia. The rental co's asked ahead of time if we were going to Eastern Europe, and we said yes, and it wasn't a problem. Only once there was a surcharge, Crossing borders we showed all our papers when requested, and were usually waved thru with US Passports.

Snooks, I never showed an International Driver's license as a tourist. I think that's only if you are living in a country and use it instead of obtaining the resident license (i.e. my daughter lives in Italy & uses the Intl DL instead of getting an Italian DL. So perhaps if she lived in Slovenia she would have to get her Slovenian DL to drive? How does that sound?

We stayed a few days at Lake Bled & a few days in Ljubjana, and enjoyed both. Parking was tricky in Ljubjana, but we arranged it thru our hotel. The car gave us much more freedom, the roads were good, can't remember about the price of gasoline but here in US it's getting higher every day. Would recommend driving if you can.

Have fun, Slovenia is beautiful!