Any culinary tips for traveling?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2011, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll start with a few. I am never successful with the oil and vinegar cruets with which I was always provided in Spain when I ordered salads. At home I use Italian dressing--the kind you make yourself with oil, vinegar and a packet of spices. I hunted around on the internet and found a company( www.minimus.biz) that provides little 1.5 oz plastic packets of dressing. I ordered four varieties (Kraft Golden Italian Dressing, Hellman's Italian Dressing, Ken's Golden Italian Dressing, and Newman's Own Family Recipe Italian Dressing.

I tested them all and liked them all about equally, except for Newman's, which I thought was a bit too vinegary. Maybe I should have squished the packet to mix up the contents or something, or maybe I was just having a bad day.

Anyway, when I go to Spain again next April, I'll have a supply of these packets. Also for my Hawaii trip in November, when I'll be staying at two different hotels and may want to have a salad in my room. I never like bottled dressing, and I don't want to haul a bottle around when I change islands.

The other innovation I liked was the little one-cup packets of Starbuck's instant coffee we had every morning. Actually a packet makes two cups, unless I want REALLY strong coffee. I have a little immersion heater that I stick in a cup of water to heat it up, and then I pour in the coffee.

For the next trip, I'm going to bring along some packets of hot chocolate and some tea bags also.

I'm going to put a strong plastic knife, fork and spoon set next time, also. I seldom go out for dinner in the evening, and I really can't eat three full meals a day when I travel, so I frequently have fruit, cheese and bread or a roll for supper.

I'm also considering stealing little packets of salt and pepper at McDonald's, as I never seem to get enough of either from the restaurant shakers. Come to think of it, I'll probably pay for the packets. I'd feel guilty if I swiped any of them.

Anyone else have simple food ideas?
Old Jun 30th, 2011, 04:38 PM

I bring along a couple of packs of instant oatmeal just in case we forget to eat. It happens.

A few coffee bags, some of my favorite tea although I do like buying tea and bringing it home.

I also pack a couple of pieces of plastic utensils and a couple of sturdy napkins or paper guest towels.
Old Jun 30th, 2011, 04:41 PM

BTW, we always carry a green vitamin mix that we drink at home.

Sardines and crackers for a car trip. Sometimes I sneak a tin into hubby's suitcase.
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 06:10 AM

"just in case we forget to eat"????????

What other reason is there to travel than to eat new and different things in pleasing surroundings?

My friend D was asked why he was desolate about having to go to Scandinavia on business, since the company would pay. "No food!"

"just in case we forget to eat"!!!!!
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

Yeah, I don't have much trouble with forgetting to eat. I'm a picky eater, though, and I don't always like the choices I'm offered. Those buffet breakfasts in so many European hotels, for instance. Who would ever eat sliced meats for breakfast? Salami?

Oh, I forgot about driving trips. I get very sleepy driving long distances, so I bring a package of sunflower seeds and use a paper bag for the shells.

When I used to drive the 800 miles from Sacramento to Spokane, I had a lot of trouble staying awake. I tried all kinds of things--chewing gum, soda, coffee, tootsie pops, mints, etc., but nothing really helped until I discovered sunflower seeds. They work like a charm.
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 06:34 AM

I take a film canister (remember them?) filled with coarse ground black pepper to Germany and France. Mostly, I find white pepper on the tables and can't go without black pepper.

Peg, I LOVE the German breakfasts with the cold cuts!
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 06:45 AM

I love the sliced meats for breakfast. I would rather have that than greasy bacon or sausage but that's just me. I eat it with a slice of cheese kind of like a sandwich with no bread.
I too bring plastic cutlery in my suitcase because I sometimes buy a salad or something to eat in the room.
I also bring the small plastic bathroom cups. Just 4-5 so I don't have to use the bathroom glasses.
I like bringing granola bars for quick snacks or small packs of crackers.
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 06:52 AM

Well you know Ackislander, sometimes people get busy. One Sunday, we were staying in a small town went exploring with a small picnic and thought we'd grab some dinner later. It was a small town, we were tired and all the restaurants were closed.

How could there be no food in Scandinavia?
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 07:20 AM

<i>How could there be no food in Scandinavia?</i>

It's true. Little-known fact, but the people there are all animatronic. Like at Disneyland. It's fascinating, really.

Ms_go and I usually bring two food items on our travels. 1) Granola bars (for a compact, fast, convenient, high-energy snack), and 2) a large bag of mini-candy bars for the flight attendants (for good trip karma).
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 07:26 AM

I love cold cuts for breakfast. To me it makes a lot more sense than eggs, potatoes, and bacon.

I'm trying really hard to remember, but I honestly don't think I've ever brought any food item along with me on a trip other than a bottle of wine if I thought nothing would be open when we arrived somewhere at night.
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 08:49 AM

At first in Germany, I found it a bit odd to be eating fresh mozzarella on tomato slices with fresh basil leaf to top it off, but now I have to buy my own "basil bush" at the REWE and make my own. Drizzled with a little truffle flavored olive oil and freshly ground salt and pepper...mmmmm. Much more satisfying than cold cereal.

I always have a baggie of nuts.= A much healthier and easier snack to have on hand than anything that can get smushed (i.e. cheese & crackers or peanutbutter) or leak. Not only does it hold off hunger pangs when needed, but for my husband who tends to get sleepy on long drives, the crunchiness seems to wake him up and if he eats them one at a time a small portion goes a long way.

I've seriously considered bringing those little individual booze bottles of say rum or vodka so I can spike my own drink and not have to pay <obviously not sitting in first class >
but I've not resorted to that yet.
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 09:19 AM

LOL, given the suggestions I am not sure that "culinary" is the best word in the title.... be that as it may:
1. Bring a real knife in your checked luggare - put it on top - TASA will open teh bag - I actualy put a note in saying it is for when i eat in my apartment.... really - they have never taken one, and i do get the note sayingthey opened my bag - it's much easier to cut bread with a real knife.
2. If your lodgings have a microwave you can access, bring a couple of bags of popcorn
3. Nips can not be brought on board - you have to pack them in checked bags - easier and cheaper is just to buy a bottle in duty free
4. I always pack some protein bars...
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 09:20 AM

I often bring sandwiches to eat on flights, much better than what is on offer on European budget airlines.

Next time we travel, I will pack a beer cap opener. Rooms often have fridges for drinks and my husband baulks at paying 4-6 euro for a small beer in a bar every time he gets thirsty. Also we will buy a cheap knife on arrival for those picnics on hotel terraces, as such items can't be packed in carryon luggage.

I would never forget to eat, planning for the next meal starts immediately after the previous one, if not before.
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 09:25 AM

I never go outside the UK without my travel kettle. Takes an age to boil on 110v, I can tell you.
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 09:35 AM

Most Europeans eat cooked meats and cheese, and eggs for breakfast. Delicious way to start the day.

We take cutlery, a bottle opener/corkscrew, a couple of plastic plates, plastic cups and a couple if insulated mugs with us. I always take my own tea bags too.
If we are going by car we take a coolbox with us. If we are flying we may buy a cheap one on arrival.

I can't see that salad dressing in a little packet is any different to that in bottles, except possibly more convenient when travelling.
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 10:03 AM

Those cool bags are great. We have one that keeps food cool for 3 hours, rolls up in the suitcase and is lightweight and slightly padded just in case I need to wrap something fragile on the way home.