Any better day to visit Bologna?

Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any better day to visit Bologna?

We will have time for only a day trip to Bologna during our October trip and I trying to figure out what day would be best. Right now the options are Sunday, Oct. 17 or the following Monday or Tuesday. Is any day of the week better/worse than the others?
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

Another question: What train stop is best to get closest to Piazza Maggiore?
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 10:13 AM

we are going in Oct. for 3 days. Depending on what you are interested in, you should know that Bologna closes down a lot on Sunday. Especially after Sunday lunch.

Bear in mind, that is just what I have READ and it may be a little faulty. But then, you won't be there for a late meal anywaay!

There are lots of trade fairs in October - we missed them because we are going early, but if you get on a Bologna city website, there should be a calendar saying when the fairs are.

Good luck and have fun!

Carol
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Carol. I was wondering about Sunday closings. Does anyone have any other experiences with Sundays in Bolongna? I want to sightsee but I also want to shop a bit so during the week may be a better choice.
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 10:33 AM

Trains arrive to Bologna Centrale which is in the city centre. On sunday some shops will be closed, but museums will be likely to be open, whereas on Mondays museums are closed.
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 01:04 PM

Hello swalter, if you have the choice of Sunday, Monday or Tuesday to visit Bologna I would chose Tuesday. Bologna is a wonderful city, I am sure you will enjoy it. I look forward to your trip report. Oh btw, the food is fantastic also
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 01:47 PM

Amazing! Some of my favorite people on the same thread! Yes, Walter, I'll vote for Tuesday, now that I know the museums are closed on Monday!

Batufollina,
It's so good to see your post! I copied everything you wrote to me about Castel Gandolfo and it really came in handy. Our friends did meet us there on a Sunday and we had a wonderful lunch at the fish restaurant that you recommended that overlooked the lake. Pricey but delicious! And we were their guests, after all. Then they drove us around the lake and we stopped at Nemi for little tiny strawberries in season. I knew some things from your post so I showed off a little! Thank you so much.

LovelItaly,
I always love to read your posts - I have a picture of you in my mind and it's always smiling!!!!

Walter - sorry I got carried away and hijacked your post for a while! Wish you would be there when we will - but we're leaving on the 7th and going on. It would be fun to share some delectable Bologna food together. Where are you going next??

Carol
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 02:57 PM

Hi Carol,
SO nice to see you again and hear that my advices came handy (especially the mini strawberries with whipped cream from Nemi yum yum. We call them "fragoline di Nemi" and they are so good.)

I also vote for Bologna on Tuesday (alternative choice: Monday), shops are all open, museums too. Beware: In some italian cities on monday morning shops are closed for the weekly closing time, even if they reopen in the afternoon, but I am not sure if in BOlogna they do the same. For sure in Rome it is like that.
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 08:18 PM

Hi Carol, I always enjoy seeing your post also!! I am not always smiling dear one, believe me, but thinking about being in Bologna sure makes me smile.

swalter, think of me when you are in Bologna. I love that city!!!

Best wishes to all of you.