Reload this Page >

Any advice for first time trip to Italy appreciated

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2003, 01:26 PM
sockboy

I am planning a trip to Italy in late October, early november. My initial itinerary is below and I would love any comments or suggestions. This is not our first trip to London. We plan on using that time to get over the jet lag (coming from west coast) and just winding down and getting ready for the trip.

Day 1 Fly to London arr. 12:00noon
Day 2 London
Day 3 London
Day 4 Fly London to Venice arr. 1:00pm
Day 5 Venice
Day 6 Train Venice to Florance arr. 12:30pm
Day 7 Florence
Day 8 Florence
Day 9 Train Florence to Pisa to Cinque Terre
Day 10 Cinque Terre
Day 11 Cinque Terre
Day 12 Train Cinque Terre to Rome arr. 2:00pm
Day 13 Rome
Day 14 Rome
Day 15 Rome
Day 16 Fly Rome to London arr. 1:00pm
Day 17 Depart from London at 2:00pm

We are a young couple and are interested in seeing museums, art and architecture as well as enjoying some good food and soaking in Italy. We do a lot of walking and are happy to walk for most of the day. We are seeing the Cinque Terre as a time for relaxation in the middle of the trip to get ready for Rome.

I would also like ideas of what we can expect to spend per day (in Euros) excluding hotels, and travel between cities. We do want to sample the local cuisine, and don't want to cheap out on food, but are happy to have simple inexpensive breakfasts and lunches.

I have already priced the train costs and hotels. We are planning on staying at the following:

London - Hotel Rushmore (55pounds/night)
Venice - Westin Europa and Regina (starwood points)
Florence - Pensione Bretagna (95euro/night)
Cinque Terre (Vernazza)- Martina Callo's room #3 (60euros/night)
Rome - Hotel Le Petit (80euros/night)

Any comments on these choices would also be appreciated!

Old Jun 20th, 2003, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like a nice trip to me. One comment, less London more Venice--3 days there if you can.
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 01:40 PM

This looks like a great itinerary to me, given the number of days you have to spend.

I've stayed at the Pensione Bretagna; it's in a great location from which you'll be able to make the most of your time in Florence. Definitely walk across the Arno to have a meal or two and do some wandering - by far my favorite thing to do there.
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 01:44 PM

Hi.

Your trip looks good, if a bit ambitious. But if you're young and healthy you'll do fine.

What I would suggest, however, is that if you've seen London you may want shorten your time there. Jet lag can be a stinker but to me it's unwise to cut short a visit to Venice, the most romantic, charming city in the world. There is no place like it.

Must you fly in and out of London? It's a shame to use up so much precious time when Italy is your target. Just a thought.

In any event, you'll have a great time.

B.V.

Your welcome.
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 01:51 PM
sockboy

Thank you for the quick responces!

We are flying using British Airways FF points, so yes we must do the London thing at each end. Flying to Venice a day earlier is definitely a possibility. Unfortunately, as it stands right now there is no availability for the flight on that date. If it becomes available, we will give ourselves that extra day in Venice. Otherwise, our departure to Florence could be later in the day to give Venice some more time . . .

Old Jun 20th, 2003, 03:13 PM

I wouldn't worry so much about Venice. I've been there twice and really was glad to leave. I appreciate that it is so unique and it is very photogenic but it's also very dirty and touristy. The rest of Italy is so much better.
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 03:15 PM

Wear a baseball cap if you don't want to be harassed by Italian men.
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 03:51 PM

I vote for cutting out a day in London and adding it to Venice. Have you tried all airlines between the two? I am almost certain you both will enjoy Venice very much, most young lovers do.
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 08:07 PM

I agree with the others that you might consider taking out a day in London (after all, this is the Italy forum.) I'm also going to suggest that you delete a day from Cinque Terre. CT is a beautiful area and walking the trails for one full day, or even two, is fantastic. But if you truly love museums and architecture you might add an extra day to Rome or Florence. I also think you'll find the food more exciting in Florence or Rome. Either way, you have a great trip planned. Enjoy.
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 08:30 PM

Nice itinerary. My only comment is your flight home. Arriving in London from Rome and then catching a plane to the US with only an hour between flights is pushing it. I assume your flying into Heathrow. If that's the case, you have to change terminals plus go through customs. You'll be flying into terminal one and out of terminal 4. You need to catch an airport bus. Not much margin for error.

Old Jun 20th, 2003, 08:39 PM

Ditto another day in Venice. Never have grown tired of it and it is only really dirty and smelly in the summer. OK so the sewage system is not the best, but was there last April and didn't sense any big problems "dirt" wise. I would like to stay there long enough to get tired of it and have been there several times since 1964. And, Young Lovers, spring for the gondola ride at night!
Negotiate, it's expensive so ask your hotel what to expect, and then go for it and never forget it!!!!!
Buy coffee and a light breakfast in local cafes or haul in snacks for the mini bar and pork out for lunch (cheaper than the dinner menu just about everywhere and easier to digest rather than at night) and then a light dinner. It will save your budget and shape!
Live, love and travel!!!!
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 11:10 PM

I'd deduct one day each from London and Florence and add one day onto Venice and another onto Rome.
Old Jun 21st, 2003, 09:11 AM

Great trip.
I'd save time in London for the end, since you have to go back there anyway.
The back and forth alone, checking in and out of hotels, takes up too much time.
I always prefer to push on to my farthest destination first, even though I 'm tired I get the bulk of the travel over with.
So I'd say, arrive London, fly on to Venice. Add a day onto Venice.
Fly to Rome (it may not be any more than taking the train.) Spend your time in Rome. Thence to Florence, thence to CT. Can't you fly back to London from Genoa? If not, do
Arrive London
fly immediately to Venice (still adding on one day), and do the rest of your trip as you planned it.
Old Jun 21st, 2003, 12:27 PM

You will love the Europa and Regina in Venice! What a special hotel in a special city!
Old Jun 21st, 2003, 01:53 PM

Here's some practical advice, bring a travel iron if you'll have clothes that need pressing. Many of the hotels in Italy do not have them in room and won't lend you one.

Second, make sure you are dressed appropriately when visiting Churches. They're strict, particularly at the Vatican. With the Vatican, get there EARLY and be prepared to wait.
Old Jun 21st, 2003, 07:56 PM
sockboy

Thanks again. We will try to add that day to Venice instead of London. I do not want to take away from Cinque Terre. Although we are there for 3 nights, it is only two days, as we will be arriving late from our day in Pisa, and will be leaving early for Rome.

In the way of budget, is 100euros for the two of us per day (without hotels and train travel) a reasonable amount to budget?

Old Jun 21st, 2003, 08:18 PM

Hi- I would highly recommend a stop in the Amalfi Coast. We have been to Italy many times, and enjoy Positano, Ravello, and Capri more than any other place in Italy (or for that matter, in the world.) You fly into Naples, and I guarantee you will not be sorry. The Amalfi Coast is amazing!
Old Jun 21st, 2003, 09:55 PM

Your question to budget, check out my previous response and remember the locals don't spend 100 euros a day to eat. Going beyond this itinerary of yours....Italy has been here for thousands of years and will wait for you to return! Do less places on more time and enjoy each and keep planning those returns for the next dozens of year to even new towns!
Enjou
Old Jun 22nd, 2003, 10:20 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
As a person living on the west coast US and who suffers jet lag terribly I like your idea of allowing time for this in London.

As a lover of Venice, I enourage you to somehow find a way to spend more than basically a single day there.

Personally I would cut one entire destination because I prefer more time in less places and hate to "rush around". 5 places in only 15 days (I'm not including arrival and departure days) is too hectic for my taste.

Also agree with another poster, that on your last day starting in Rome, when you need to catch a 2PM flight out of London, seems a bit hair-raising.

For what it's worth ...
Old Jun 22nd, 2003, 03:04 PM
sockboy

We actually have a night in London between flights on the way back, so its not just 1hr! That would be tight!!